konalavadome

"The Key challenge"

• 75 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2023, 01:48:43 PM »
I've really enjoyed the build up to this challenge and can happily say that I've now written my song 'A Phone Call At Midnight'.
Essentially the harmony (chords) vocal melody (albeit with a terrible cold) and the lyrics. I'll start to add instruments and record the vocals again when my voice is better.  What I am going to take away from this challenge is how important it is to write in as many different keys as you are able to and think about the chords that we use to create specific moods.  I've written something that I think is quite charming that perhaps I would not have done so If I hadn't written to a title and defined key. I really enjoyed the writing task, which is what it is all about.

paul

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2023, 02:16:56 PM »
Great to see everyone again yesterday. Definitely up for doing this more often. Stunningly, though, my entry is still not ready!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2023, 02:32:46 PM »
I’ll do another Zoom in 2 weeks time ? 24 Hours No More in F#maj Eb min is under construction!

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2023, 06:44:17 PM »
I too have now written my song.. 'Tell Me About Donna' in Eb. I'm going to start recording it tonight. It may take me a few days to complete but I'm looking forward to the challenge. Working to a specific key, particularly one in which I wouldn't normally write, is good for me. Donna Kebab?..I was bloody tempted!!  ;D

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2023, 06:52:37 PM »
I too have now written my song.. 'Tell Me About Donna' in Eb. I'm going to start recording it tonight. It may take me a few days to complete but I'm looking forward to the challenge. Working to a specific key, particularly one in which I wouldn't normally write, is good for me. Donna Kebab?..I was bloody tempted!!  ;D

Great work Chris. I'm going to recover from a heavy cold before I sit down to produce. Great speedy work my friend

Paul
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 07:12:06 PM by Wicked Deeds »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2023, 07:17:02 PM »
I'm really enjoying this - Like you say @ChrisPrice Working in a key that you wouldn't usually makes it interesting !!

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2023, 11:02:49 PM »
@Wicked Deeds - done already??? WHAT? That's a bit impressive!!

Noted re title and key.. So I have to write a positive song in a low key then?? No problem at all!  :o

Will be interested to see where this goes..

Thanks for organising!!!

K

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2023, 12:12:46 AM »
@MonnoDB,

I've been writing for almost 42 years and enjoy this activity more than any other. I'll go on to produce but it could never inspire me the way that I am inspired when it's just me, inventing chords, rhythms, lyrics and melodies. That's really when all of the magic takes place.

Your song can be positive or otherwise. I began writing a dark song then stopped myself for something that is playful and light..I'm confident that your song will be exceptional either way

I've enjoyed organising this and bringing everyone together. Thank you for taking part. I'm looking forward to hearing your work!

Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2023, 02:16:51 PM »
I realised today that my song needs only a limited selection of instruments.  It's pretty much good to go except I can't shake my cold at all. and therefore won't be able to sing 'til later in the week or perhaps the following week.  I know that I wouldn't have written this song without the guidelines of the 'Key" challenge so am thankful for that.  I love the song that I've written. I'm tempted to say that it is beautiful.  I've taken so much enjoyment from the writing aspect of the challenge.

Paul

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2023, 01:34:37 AM »

Great work Chris. I'm going to recover from a heavy cold before I sit down to produce. Great speedy work my friend

Paul
Yeah, I've been a bit rough around the gills myself of late. I've now completed a full rhythm track which I'm chuffed with. I'm hoping for a good day asap when the pipes are clear so I can belt out some respectable vocals. Meanwhile I've got some brass stabs and a lead guitar to do. This key challenge thing is great! It's made me come up with one or two tricks which I wouldn't usually have thought of. Hoping I can make it to the next Zoom meeting. :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2023, 04:16:34 PM »
I’ve just about finished my song for the challenge but as @ChrisPrice has posted his submission I’ll wait a few days before posting on the forum  :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2023, 05:40:11 PM »
I wonder if there's a way of adding each of the songs to a dedicated thread or if we should load them all on to a free SoundCloud page with a permanent link available on the forum.

If we do this, it won't really matter if those that are ready, add their track to the finished songs section. We can always refer to the SC page or other platform link and out efforts won't disappear overnight. It's also a good advertisement for the forum.

Suggestions are welcome.

Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2023, 06:10:36 PM »
A Soundcloud playlist under the UK songwriter user ? I've got access to that and can set up if required  :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2023, 06:39:54 PM »
Yeah, that's cool John, @pompeyjazz.  I've made one too but am happy to delete it. If everyone is happy, I think we should start to populate it with songs.  Please upload your song John and I will send mine across to you so that you can upload it.

It's all coming together.

Paul