More than 1 drum kit???

• 2 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: December 04, 2023, 03:40:46 PM »
I've heard some rumblinga bout drumming recently, and I'd just like to share a couple of things that I found useful.

Depending on the genre, there is a lot of scope for being quite free and wild with drums...

In EDM it very often I wil use 5 to 10 drumming tracks, so with "real" kits, some with 808/909 type synthesised kits, maybe a few sample/chop vst's and some loops, you'd never know when you hear it (as long as you don't have difference in level "won't see the join" type of thing)

fx can play a part too..from Hugh Padgham's SSL LMC+ 'in the air tonight' crushing compression to lofi 'busted speaker' mangling (I like AudoThing Speaker plugin - does a great job and very cheap, you can of course get the same thing with a band pass EQ and some bit crushing fx), which all add up to contrast and interest

You can hear examples of this in this, a mash up of 10cc's I'm not in love, which I posted her some time ago, (It's not a plug, as I'm not interested in the number of plays these days) but just to give an example of what I mean here, I can remember there were quite a few drum tacks in this.

https://soundcloud.com/cowparsleyman/10cc-im-not-a-glove?si=e409e09ae708452e948d2e430b2f9b4c&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

It usually pays, especially with real kits, to send the audio to induvidual outs, where panning, individual levels and fx can be controlled and then send those to a sub mix buss to add the fx you want to apply to the whole kit, which then go to the master buss, it's not so important with processed drum sounds (like 808's) as usually one can tweak the sound easily enough to get that sub thud btw I can thoroughly recommend BFD3 for real kits, Arturia Spark2 and D16 Drumazon2 for 909/808 's etc.

The BFD kit was a recommendation from a fellow forum member, thanks for that...

Other very good kits are IK Multimedia MODO drum, Spitfire Abe Laboriel (not very flexible, but sound great - he's Macca's drummer, and son of the great session bassist Abe Laboriel) I'm aware of all the other equally brilliant dum VST's like Slate, EZdrummer, and Superior drummer etc, but BFD has a fantastic groove/pattern editor, that does some amazing things, along with a grid that can go into triplets and a painter that can paint a pattern across different drums.

The extensions are also top notch, in that there are many weifhts of the same hit, in different places on the skin...

Anyway hope this lights some inspiration...
See how many you can spot...

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 12:42:01 PM »
Whatever drum kit you have just get Jamstix and use it to drive the kit..you don't need to mess about with midi files, Jamstix just plays the drums..adds fills in the right places, if you don't like the fill just tell it to re compose and it will, there is also a large collection of different drummers who play in different styles.
worth a look for sure, just check out the free version. @cowparsleyman
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 12:55:53 PM »
@shadowfax - Yeah, I remember this from you, It sounds a gas, I'll take a look, thanks again for the tip (nylon)