konalavadome

Better Man (New song)

• 29 Replies

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
Don't know how I missed this gem LB :) It's so hauntingly beautiful and your vocal delivery is lovely :)
The piano is lovely as well and the lyrics are compelling :)
I'm also amazed at what a clear sound you've managed to get from an ipad :o how do you mic the
vocals? Can you plug an interface into it?   :o Kudos and good luck in the MSOM comp  :) :)

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 02:33:03 AM »
great vocal pure voice love the falsetto,,really nicely done

i find the production quite intense.. cellos follow you round like bodyguards but beautifully done
great atmosphere
enjoyed the performance very much
fine work lostboy and good luck
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 10:07:58 PM »
@crystalsuzy Thanks very much Suzy! I hoped you might like this one as it's got a similar vibe to "Phantom Love" which I know you also enjoyed.I appreciate the feedback very much.  ;D In answer to your question,I use the presonus audiobox ione.Its nice and simple for a complete retard like me!  ::) it has a "device" usb slot making it super easy to connect ipads.

https://www.musicmatter.co.uk/presonus-audiobox-ione?gclid=CLPA6s3ypc0CFRITGwodSq8Jcw

The mic I use is a shure PGA58. I'm quite happy with it,but I still have lots of work to do to get my vocals sounding as clear/bright as the pros.  :)

@nooms haha! I like that "cellos follow you around like bodyguards"!! Thanks for giving it your time mate and thanks for the encouragement.

Cheers guys
Leo  ;D

Oldbutyet

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 10:38:29 PM »
The more i listen to your song the more it sounds like you got a blockbuster movie song here, if you haven't already then search for someone that you can send to that knows Broccoli & Saltzman, really great blockbuster movie song.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:40:23 PM by Oldbutyet »

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 11:08:15 PM »
I really enjoyed the supporting strings at the beginning. They added a true sense of depth to the piano and rounded out the sound nicely.  Quality vox completed a fantastic opening to the song.

When the drums enter and the song proper begins I can feel a good build happening. The harmonies at the 2:30 mark continue the build nicely and set this song up for a grand climax but that doesn't seem to eventuate. That is the only thing that disappointed me, but perhaps that would have been too predictable. It has plenty of dynamics in here to support a wonderful topline. 

A really beautiful song, well performed and produced.

Kudos

Allan.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2016, 04:56:01 PM »
Hi Leo, excellent vocals again! Really nice song of it's type. Could easily be a movie theme/blockbuster song. Very good.
Cheers
Jamie

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2016, 08:54:04 PM »
aw...this is just great...i love the vocals in particular - they have a great natural sound to them, not affected or overblown...and it's a top song too

great work...most impressive  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2016, 07:30:07 AM »
Hey Leo - I never left a comment on this earlier, so sorry. I really like this song and think your vocals are particularly good. You've got a lot of feel  :) Liking a lot of your stuff.

John

Heludee

• Busker
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2016, 07:28:58 PM »
Hey Lostboy,

You remind me the Kamelot -one of my favorite groups- and their singer, Tommy Karevik. I like it!!
Your voice is very nice and the vocals are awesome too.

The mixing was nice. Only in 3:40-3:42 I felt that something went wrong with the volume of the voice...Maybe the arrangement was not supportive in this part, or you should increase the volume a little bit. But it's awesome anyway!
Keep up the good job!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2016, 08:14:49 PM »
Hi Lostboy

Finally got around to listening.
Vocals are beautiful and I love the strings in this as well.
I think the "Better Man" hook kind of gets a little lost in the forest but it's a lovely forest to get lost in.
Looking forward to more :)

Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2016, 11:29:22 PM »
Ah ! lostboy. This is sensational. You have so much FEEL and that comes over and overwhelms everything else. The arrangement and production have been carefully considered, this song just draws you in and won't let go  :)

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2016, 11:12:11 AM »
Thanks very much oldbutyet,seriousfun,Paulads,Paulski,heludee,Jamie and TWO comments from Pompeyjazz!! I appreciate it guys.Im glad you liked the song.

@Seriousfun You may well be right that the back end of the song could be busier.I was just very conscious of not overdoing it.I put those high strings in and as much as I loved them I thought that they might even be too distracting from the chorus melody.Still I do agree that sometimes "more is more"  ;D

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »
Very powerful song my friend..really enjoyed it...no crits other than thought the harmonies were a bit low...
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2016, 07:32:23 PM »
Thanks Shadowfax.I appreciate the feedback mate. ;D

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2016, 02:21:44 PM »
This is just awesome.

There is nothing within my ability that I can suggest to improve it. Even as a listener I wouldn't want to hear it changed, it just works as it is.

What I can do is give it a well deserved bump back up to the top!  ;D

Ben