tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 10:19:14 PM »
Haha, well said Boydie

Re-reading my post made me realise it sounded a bit maverick ;) I certainly don't think blindly mixing until you stumble upon the right sound is a substitute for proper learning and guided practice. And of course, it helps if the tracks you're mixing were recorded and performed to a professional standard. No amount of mixing's going to fix a bad take...

:)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Missing Words

• Busker
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 11:32:06 PM »
Can't fault the advice in this thread so far at all.  At the end of the day, there are several reasons why the lead vocal might get lost in the mix:-

1. Volume too low.  This can be remedied by using volume automation. If you need the softer passages to lift a bit, without clipping the signal on the louder bits compression will mean that the volume automation can be done more subtly.  Using a mild compressor setting when tracking will help reduce the noise floor of the signal and reduce the risk of clipping.  A compressor is essentially a device which 'turns down' the volume when it passes a determined threshold. 

2. Lack of space. Sometimes other instruments in the mix compete with the lead vocal.  In this case use an eq sweep to find frequencies that you like in the vocal and cut these frequencies from the other tracks if possible to create a 'slot' for the vocal to sit.  It is generally preferable to cut frequencies than boost them.  Also, it is easy for the vocal to contain low frequency content that doesn't contribute to the sound but will make the signal clip on boosting the volume.  Use a high pass filter to remove this unwanted low end.   

3. Panning.  If everything is panned centre, then the mix will sound narrow with no space for the vocal to breathe.  The vocal will normally sit in the middle, but theres no reason to not use delays or duplicated vocals panned left or right if it fits the song.  Imagine you are watching the song being performed on stage.  Where are the different performers standing in relation to the vocalist? Pan the instruments according to that mental image.

3. Muddiness.  When recording vocals it is tempting to use lots of reverb as opposed to a purely dry signal.  This pushes the vocal further back in the mix.  If you track with reverb use a low latency type that you can disable afterwards to go back to the dry signal.  When mixing try to keep the lead vocal as dry as possible if you want to keep it upfront.  Delays with a short delay time and feedback disabled are a good alternative to reverb as they do not give a prolonged reverb tail, but the delay between the L and R channels help create a sense of space.

4.  Most important, poor recording! If your vocal if poorly recorded, with background noise/peaks/clipping etc no amount of eq or effects will make for a better result than simply re-recording it.  It is best to get as much frequency content recorded as possible then cut what you don't need, rather than trying to boost what isn't there.

That's my 2p worth.  Hope this can be of use...

Andrew