konalavadome

Thar She Blows

• 11 Replies

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« on: June 25, 2023, 04:46:16 PM »
  Temporarily ditching my self imposed exile (which with collabs has been almost non-existent anyway  ;D).

My thanks to those who checked out my collab 'Reflections' - now slipped off the front page... I must admit I thought it deserved more than the 4 replies it got.   :-[

Anyway, I threw this one together in an evening a few weeks back. Bit of a silly 'story' song.

Thar she blows Mr Windrush
Happen she's seen us
Turning starboard and diving
It's now or never
T'was ever thus
Now let us dance

They want to play
Seaman Godwyn
Eyes on the horizon
She's out there

And she's breached,
She's heading for the fleet
Run her down Mr Windrush
And don't spare the horses
She's turning
This is it
She's ours
Yes, release the forward battery

Port side - two more of the devils
Hard to starboard
They have us caught broadside
They played us

Come on everybody put your hands in the air
Death for honour now that’s just not fair
I don’t wanna die
The officers all lie
Fingers to the clouds and wave the war goodbye

In the darkness of the night
In the depths of cold and fright
Crashing metal, swirling bite
Sunken souls prepare and dare to fight

We must draw them from the fleet
Buy them time
Brave souls lads
Do your duty

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 07:31:08 PM »
You know that my understanding of English, when I'm not writing it myself, is limited and that's why it's more imaginary than anything else, but it seemed to me that I understood from the lyric that you speak of the war and of those who have to go to fight even knowing that everything bad can happen at any time.
I liked it a lot, the arrangement is fantastic, no wonder many want to collaborate with you since your way of playing with atmospheres from yesterday and never hahaha is very particular, special.
Very good job, I enjoy listening to adventures even if they are sad!
I love the chorus voices and the reverb-effect? of your voice @CorkingCrackBand
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

subvibe

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 03:22:57 PM »
Hi

Really enjoyed this Its very Original
good use of the ,sounds in the solos

subvibe

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 03:41:35 PM »
Whilst it's not the kind of thing I would listen to, this is extremely well produced and very interesting in so many ways.

Very well done.

popitup

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 05:25:42 AM »
Alert ! all seafaring men . . . no particular genre identified ! Might be a bit of a rogue wave kind of thing . . . with allusions to prog rock, yet a disco beat, but the lyrical story stands tall like a folk song . . . yep, I liked it a lot !

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 07:34:38 AM »
@CorkingCrackBand  Glad you are back! Some really good playing in the various solos. Highly evocative and imaginative lyrics, backed by a pop-prog rock soundtrack. Nice work!

Kevin

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 08:27:24 PM »
  Hi @kevysc - haha - lets be fair, I've barely been away what with my collab efforts.  ;D Thank you none-the-less.

Hi @popitup

This was very much a quick thrown together song (the drums are an unvarying loop) made for the fun of it - although in reality it was written hours after my neighbour died in my arms - strange song in that regard. Cheers  :)

Hi @Nick Ryder - hey no worries, we can't all have my impeccable taste.  ;D Thanks for the kind words.

Hi @subvibe - an appropriate name given the target within the song. I agree that the solo's stop this becoming staid and boring.

Hey @moraamarolaloba

Yeah, it tells the 1st person tale of a battleship protecting a fleet in ww2 from a U boat. A little smattering of class politics thrown in but's it's a pretty light piece. I'm glad you liked the chorused vocal - I almost extended the song to include it more fully and layer more vocals but decided this was a song where 'less is more' held true.  :)

Thanks to all who have listened and commented thus far.

CCB

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2023, 11:40:59 PM »
Super interesting mash-up this.  Whiffs of reggae for some reason, although it isn't reggae... Fascinating blend of sea shanty, rap, and 80s disco.  I really like that super crispy and relentless drum loop, and the unexpected subject matter.  Conventional you ain't - and let that be celebrated.  Nice work.
It's all too beautiful.

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2023, 09:56:02 PM »
Hey @PaulyX

Oddly I put on the SC that this was reggae - largely because I didn't know what it was - I'm fed of putting the vague 'alt rock'.  ;D

I'm pleased you found it engaging.

CCB

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2023, 12:24:12 PM »
Yo CCB.

Mad as a box of frogs,or maybe mad as Viv Stanshall?

You have the same crazy creativity gene.

Beyond any useful critique from me. Keep 'er lit man.  8)

Maya Clars

• Solo Gig
  • Follow me on Instagram (@mayaclars)
    • mayaclars.com
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2023, 10:21:23 PM »
@CorkingCrackBand
Original performance and original vocals. :)
I liked the flute part in the design of the bass and drummer!
Energetic and dynamic melody. Cool! :))

Maya

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 06:48:24 PM »
Hi @Skub

Cheers bud, I'm very happy with the V.S. comparison - possibly not quite silly enough this song but I get what you mean. I think this one skirts quite nicely serious/silly and falls pleasingly in between meaning it can (and has been) interpreted in differing ways depending on the listeners sensibility/inclination. I like that kind of tongue half placed in cheek style. Thanks again.

Hi @Maya Clars

Thanks for taking the time - it was very much a 'thrown together' song the evening a friend died (not in a U-boat chase I hasten to add ;D). I wanted something 'easy' to write, so chose a cool drum beat and layered until happy and threw a quick/daft story over the top. Easy-peasy as they say... it's a fairly painless listen I feel.  :)

Thanks for listening and commenting

CCB