konalavadome

Hymn To The Summer

• 16 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: November 03, 2020, 02:36:16 PM »
Every now and then I kick around a few song ideas with some of my old band mates. We tend to spark ideas off each other. This number was a very rough version that I thought was maybe too simple, just a jolly little pop song. So we chatted about “jolly little pop songs” , harmonies and what was involved. Eventually, I decided to go for a “Beach Boys” meets The Bay City Rollers type song (I know - That sounds really weird doesn't it ?)

Lyrically and instrumentally, I still wanted to keep it simple, so with the lyrics, I tried to portray a youthful innocence for summer days.

A couple of days later and Tony pinged me some 6 part harmonies into my dropbox and the song started to develop properly.

One of my other friends did do a slicker production of this number and also a Northern Soul version but I wanted to post my own production as hopefully, I've captured that innocence :) Of course, you guys might think otherwise :)

Some notes on production

Drums – Ezdrummer
Guitars – Guitar Rig Amp presets – VoxReverse, Country Git Clean, HB4 Crunchjazz
Midi Keys – Dirtbag, DSK Guitars Steel, Xpand2 Vibraphone, Muted Trumpet, Flute, Strings
Bass – Guitar Rig Fingered Bass 3
Lead Vocals – Compression, Convology Reverb and EQ
BV's – Compression, Convology vintage German, EQ

Kick off my shoes, forgetting my blues
And heading for the coast
Do something exciting
It's what I need the most

All in the mind, forget about time
And spending my days on the beach
I think that some things
Are always out of reach

The sun is shining on a lovely summers day
Lie back and think of you
And chase the blues away

Let's get together
Do it while we can
Sitting in the sunshine
Or skipping in the sand
Let's make the most of our summer holiday
While the blues away

Had so much fun when the summer began
When we wondered off alone
Just you and me together
Chilling in the zone

Taking our time as we stared at the sky
As the day turned into night
Each day was extra special
Because we did it right

Hello to new beginnings
Goodbye to pain
My days are full of sunshine
Despite the summer rain

Let's get together
Do it while we can
Sitting in the sunshine
Or skipping in the sand
Let's make the most of our summer holiday
While the blues away

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 04:48:48 PM »
This is excellent! I really love the verse melody...... and the chorus is nice but having the backing vocals really gave it another dimension. The production is really really good, but youre always consistently good at that.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 04:59:47 PM »
One of my absolute favorites of your work. I don't even know if I might have any nits, as I was 'way into enjoying the listen too much to notice. Some day (if I live long enough--I have a LOT of plans for "someday") I'd like to put together a set of songs with a summer theme. This one would have to be included, of course.

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 05:21:12 PM »
How good! Spending a little time on the beach, right now, sounds great ...
I love the setting it has, the atmosphere ... There are no complications, everything is sun, beach and love ... It feels good to hear it @pompeyjazz

I like this "Hello to new beginnings
Goodbye to pain
My days are full of sunshine
Despite the summer rain"

Stay safe!!

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Kafla

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 08:46:25 AM »
I don’t think I will ever not like something you do John ,

Because you like all the classic elements of songwriting like me but unlike me you actually know what your doing and can shape your arrangement and production accordingly....

This has a lovely sidestep arm in arm melody and it builds to the big pay off chorus , great vocal delivery and I love the backing group harmony - you must have worked so hard to get that right...

Excellent mate ❤️

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 09:26:48 AM »
Blimey what’s all this outbreak of optimism and fun on the forum, both you and @Neil C coming out with joyous celebratory stuff within a matter of days? This one is proper old fashioned songwriting and very enjoyable too. I got a bit dizzy at the idea of a six part harmony though! I didn’t even know that was possible!

Great little chorus, made me yearn for more innocent times, yeah, times when you could meet people an have fun and the only bubbles you had were in Aero chocolate! It must be great catching up with your old band mates and creating after all these years. I bet you’d be loads of fun to see live, both in the old days and now actually.

Smashing stuff this!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 11:38:45 AM »
@pompeyjazz

Hi John, this songs sounds so effortless, whilst having a degree of complexity embedded, and that's not easy to achieve 8). Love the BV's the harmonies are spot on and I definitely get the BCR references, that's spot on too! I can lend you a tartan scarf if you like ;D. Another genre smashing effort!

Nice one!

Cheers

Jamie

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 01:57:34 PM »
Good work John!  Top production with plenty to find on each new listen.   One of the things I love about your songs is the BVs and you haven't disappointed here!  So many parts!   Great work, but you know it's winter and we've just entered lockdown right?  ;D
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 03:41:23 PM »
Hi @pompeyjazz

A really great sunny summertime song to take our minds off the problems of winter lockdowns.It's got a great verse melody and a cracking chorus made all the better by the superb backing vocals. Fantastic production and great arrangement, it's a hit from me.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 11:11:16 PM »
Yet another super polished song from you @pompeyjazz - and so upbeat! Just what we need... everything sits right in its place - great BVs - just love them! There's a lot going on here - all the parts perfectly placed and mixed which (in my world) is quite a feat with so many parts..

Love it! Foot tappingly brilliant!

K

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 08:47:00 AM »
Wow those BVs are awesome, what a great thing to be able to work with. I think it does exactly what you set out to do, a great summer Surfo-Scottish singalong. Some lovely details (the keyboards, the bass following the solo, the finger snaps). Great stuff.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 01:38:25 PM »
Excellent!

Both versions of this are brilliant...and it's no secret that I love a bit of Northern Soul...but I thought this version had a magic and innocence to it that the other one couldn't quite match.

It's the youthful exuberance that captivates the listener, I reckon. The clean and simply produced backing captures the mood and yes...those backing vocals are brilliant!

EZ drummer is brilliant and is unlikely to ever end up in court  :-X

It really does take you right back to those golden days of the early/mid 70s when life seemed a whole lot simpler and more enjoyable.

And for that, I thank ye.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 06:53:22 PM »
@pompeyjazz
John, cool light weight retro happy pop :-)
Does exactly what it says on the tin, and you got that Rollers on the chorus.
Really like the breakdown.
:-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 07:30:11 PM »
Thanks for all of the feedback on this latest number  :)

@Sebandme - Thanks for the compliments  :) I love the bv's as well but can't really take any credit for them

@CaliaMoko - Hey thanks Vicki - Glad I gave you that summer vibe

@moraamarolaloba Thank you - I'm on the beach every day, rain or shine - Really appreciate your feedback

@kafla Andy - You're far too kind. I'm glad I got that bouncy summer sound. Like I say, I can't really take any credit for the BV's as my old mate Tony just pinged them to me one day - All I had to do was to mix them, although that was interesting

@MichaelA Yup - Where did all this optimistic summer stuff come from ? We mooted a 40th anniversary gig last year - Maybe we'll have to do a 42nd anniversary gig next year  :) 

@Jamie - Thanks Jamie - Just pop the tartan scarf in the post thanks - Have you got any of those BCR jeans that were way to short ?

@PeteS - Ah yes, I forgot about winter and lockdown and all that stuff  ;D

@Grubstar Thank you so much, your feedback is very much appreciated

@MonnoDB - Hey thanks Karen - Glad you dug that upbeat vibe - I never really analyzed it at the time but now you mention it there is quite a bit going on  ;D I get carried away sometimes  :)

@adamfarr - Thanks - Yeah - I dig those finger snaps, but they probably took the longest on this song as I couldn't get the right sound from real snaps so had to steal a sample  :)

@PaulAds - Thanks Paul - I'm glad I managed to create that innocent and simple kind of vibe - Some stuff can be very intense and oversophisticated at time I reckon  :)

@Neil C Cheers Neil - Shangalang  :)

Inanité_sonore

• Open Mic
    • Black Gift Bandcamp
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 09:17:13 PM »
Hi John!
It sounds very summer indeed. Simple but effective rhythm. It's very rich (arrangements, chorus, melody) and your vocal interpretation is impeccable.
Congratulations to all!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 09:20:33 PM by Inanité_sonore »
IS

My project "Black Gift" :
listen the album and buy CD & vinyl :
https://blackgift.bandcamp.com/releases

Listen :
https://soundcloud.com/black_gift/tracks

Inanité Sonore Records :
https://soundcloud.com/user-24297189