Don't ask me about gun laws in the US

• 25 Replies

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« on: October 03, 2017, 01:20:22 PM »
I was born in and have lived here my entire life and I still don't get the obsession.
It's horrible and we really need to do something about it, but there is a large portion of our population who is obsessed, and a well-funded organization that keeps pushing to keep the gun laws fast and loose.
Damnit.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 01:44:08 PM »
It's a thorny old topic,Pops.

I'm not sure if any legislation can ever prevent an individual randomly causing hurt while mentally ill,perhaps it would scale down the actual numbers killed or injured,I don't know. Guns and bombs are against the law in my own country,(N.Ireland)but it didn't stop those who wish kill to further their aims by using arms.

All that is before you begin stamping on the toes of the NRA and the rights thing in the US. Politicians know very well how organised the gun lobby is and a voter is a voter.  ;)

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 01:49:49 PM »
It's a thorny old topic,Pops.

I'm not sure if any legislation can ever prevent an individual randomly causing hurt while mentally ill,perhaps it would scale down the actual numbers killed or injured,I don't know. Guns and bombs are against the law in my own country,(N.Ireland)but it didn't stop those who wish kill to further their aims by using arms.

All that is before you begin stamping on the toes of the NRA and the rights thing in the US. Politicians know very well how organised the gun lobby is and a voter is a voter.  ;)

Yup. But WHY do those voters love guns so much? Why is it so ingrained into our culture? Is it our history/origin as guerrilla revolutionaries, or is it the way that the history is taught?
Those "Minutemen" have absolutely been romanticized; at least they were in the history that I was taught as a kid. Killing for freedom with their own guns, the Second Amendment, and all that.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 02:19:35 PM »
Maybe compromise and ban Americans from using guns abroad?
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 02:39:15 PM »

:D

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 02:48:07 PM »

Yup. But WHY do those voters love guns so much? Why is it so ingrained into our culture? Is it our history/origin as guerrilla revolutionaries, or is it the way that the history is taught?
Those "Minutemen" have absolutely been romanticized; at least they were in the history that I was taught as a kid. Killing for freedom with their own guns, the Second Amendment, and all that.

I can kind of understand the gun appreciation thing. I love all things mechanical and well made tools. I have no need for a gun,but if I lived in the US perhaps I would,just because it's allowed.
Probably and generalising,it's a macho thing too,like fast bikes/cars etc. Bragging rights down the pub.
The culture and history thing is a valid point too. In historical terms the USA is a young country,so what rights and history they do have are fiercely guarded.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 04:01:23 PM »
This is a head-scratcher for most Canadians too.
I would be terrified if I knew all my neighbours had guns, let alone automatic ones.
From what I know only hunters and cops can own them legally here.
But it doesn't look like anything will be done about it down there - not with "you-know-who" in charge  :(

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 04:16:20 PM »
As an American who has personally been affected by gun violence, who hates guns and violence, I've given up hope that things will ever change here, even if the laws do. There are too many already out there. It's just part of life.

The only thing we can do to combat violence is by treating each other with kindness. I know it's not enough, but it's all we got.

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 09:37:44 PM »

Probably more to do with a history of being imperialist colonisers I'd have thought...  :D

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 10:23:06 PM »

Probably more to do with a history of being imperialist colonisers I'd have thought...  :D

And you're from... the UK?
Pot. Kettle. Black.
;)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 11:12:07 PM »

Pot. Kettle. Black.
;)

We don’t seem anywhere near as keen on killing each other, though  ;)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 01:29:44 AM »

Pot. Kettle. Black.
;)

We don’t seem anywhere near as keen on killing each other, though  ;)

100% agreed. And I'm trying to figure it the hell out.
Although, looking at statistics, nearly 90% of all Americans (of all political affiliations) are in favor of better gun control laws.
The NRA just has really damn deep pockets and it keeps our politicians buried way in there, methinks.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 07:56:39 AM »

that would mean Europe would be under the thumb of Russia or the Germans, South Korea would under the thumb of North Korea, Asia would under the thumb of Japan except China would've invaded Japan by now in revenge for the rape of Nanking etc..etc...no culture is perfect but imagine if the Japanese were the world superpower, they'd still be using Asian females as sex slaves...imagine if Germany was the worlds superpower, there would be no Jews/invalids/Africans/Arabs left alive,
I've been to Russia several times and I live in a country that suffered under communism so I dare not even try to imagine what Europe/England would be like under Russia....
the fact that the USA can use guns abroad is why we have peace in Europe,

individuals slaughtering people around the world for their own mentally unstable reasons is another matter and it isn't just Americans that do this..
I'm not anti or pro America but I can imagine a world without America (love them or loathe them) and I don't fancy it,
Guns are...not available in Europe but it hasn't stopped a certain culture from machine gunning people at concerts, in offices etc..etc...

Peace, Kevin :) :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 08:12:16 AM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 08:00:45 AM »
It is definitely an ingrained cultural thing

Those outside the US seem to have the reaction "another mass shooting - gun control must be the answer"

Yet many in the US see the answer as having MORE guns - i.e. If more people had guns they could have shot the shooter

It is a really difficult / complex issue

Putting the political / NRA stuff aside I do completely understand that it is the person pulling the trigger killing people and not "the gun" - but the statistics speak for themselves

I just do not see how so ingrained in the culture of the Country can be "pulled back" now
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 08:15:28 AM »
Didn't England ban all guns and gun clubs some years back?..can't remember how that panned out, anyway,
England still has rising gun crime... ??? ???

Peace, Kevin :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!