I'm Not the Man for You

• 25 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: May 11, 2018, 05:17:59 PM »
A new one for ya,should ya be bothered,you lovely people.  8)

Just more of the same old nonsense really,but I hope it strikes a chord. (arf)

Do whatever ya wants with the song,like it,don't like it,critique it,analyse the good clean flying fudge out of it,I don't mind. I'll be pleased enough you listen and comment.  :)

I hammered the hell out of the hook in this one,so sue me!  :D

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/im-not-the-man-for-you

I'm not the man for you
I like the old,tried ,tested and true

I'm not out to bring anything new
I play just what I feel
What I've heard is what I do
I won't reinvent the wheel

I'm not the man for you

I'll never be mister innovation
You won't be amazed at my skill
I'm not into social agitation
Three chords are my biggest thrill

I'm not the man for you

I don't feel the need to push the limits
I couldn't,if I tried
I don't write songs to please the critics
I don't need to be ratified

I'm not the man for you
I like the old,tried ,tested and true....
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 05:20:23 PM by Skub »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 05:34:40 PM »
Fab vocals Mr Skubster. How do ya hit some of those high notes ? This one highlights your full vocal range. Harmonies are excellent as well. As usual, great guitars. The arrangement on this one is different as well. Wah ! that sub bass hit me at around 2:40

Another quality piece

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 06:40:37 PM »
It seems you can do it all vocals, mixing, lyrics and guitars.
Really nice piece.
Are you actually a pro?

I suppose working professionally might neutralize the thrill.
A lot of folks I know are studying music producing, they're not dumb but I'd be surprised if they get as far as you.

Do you play live on stage? 
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 07:38:12 PM »
Hi Skub,

a very good song, well played sang and recorded. What else is there to say,

Keith

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 09:20:09 PM »
Hi Skub

Great sounding track, love the Rocky feel. Liked the clean strat riffs goin on in the background.

One note, At my end the Vocal sounded very loud in the mix but if that's what you were goin for then hey, boom, sorted.

Great work again Skub

Johnnyuk

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 09:49:10 PM »
What a lovely song!
Johnny :)

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 09:59:10 PM »
Great job Davy! Very well constructed. I like how you do a verse THEN the solo, then the chorus. Very cool! Lovely playing, I like my drums a bit louder, but different strokes & all that. Fave part for me was actually that lovely climb u do in the verse melody. Great job!  ;D

refusedrevival

• Solo Gig
    • Refused Revival
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 05:31:02 PM »
Hi,

You definitely use your full vocal range and it sounds good.

Production: Cymbals are mixed totally either to right or left. It's sounds odd to my ear. Otherwise nothing to criticize.

Anyway I like the track.

refusedrevival

Katie Wilson

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 09:40:04 AM »
I wasn't sure but it grew on me - you have a way with lyrics - vocally you remind me of Bowie - always looking for new ideas to try and never being afraid to,do so - even if they don't always work - to me this is another experimental type of song and it works - draws you in. -  makes me feel like it something not of this world don't know why it's the Bowie thing I think .

Very interesting

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 12:09:11 PM »
What a super vocal, Davy!

Cracking song too. Trademark smoking guitar work but every time I try to latch on to something else to comment on, I keep getting slapped about the head by that amazing vocal again  ;D

Brilliant.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 12:52:11 AM »
Yeah, that "I'm not the man for you" line sticks in your head. Not sure I want that in there too long. It's giving me a complex. Is it something I said? Haha.

Great vocals. No complaints on the guitar a bit of practice won't fix.  :-*  Good song, Skub.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 10:03:55 AM »
Very nice indeed - subtitle: "Skub just wants to have fun" !

I think sometimes we forget about having fun and get all serious about writing and composing and playing, or worse try to be something we're not. (That Drum Challenge is a great example, now all I want to do is be in a punk band!)

All superbly put together - that low guitar is something we probably have heard before, but when it comes in it really gives a feelgood moment (and sound fun to play too).

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 01:38:40 PM »
Hey Skub. This is in my opinion your best song to date. Entertaining catchy and some killer lyrics - "I'm not into social agitation" - Brilliant. Hope you havent injured yourself hitting some of those high notes!
No nits whatsover from me. Very enjoyable listen!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 11:12:21 PM »
@pompeyjazz

Hey John,glad you liked it man. I've heard you hit some nut crunchers yourself,I ain't all that! Just keep the mole-grips handy and go for it.  :D

@Rightly

I just fell off my chair at that one Rightly! Me a pro?  :D :D I'm not even clued up enough on production stuff to be classed as an amateur! I just know enough to be dangerous.  :D

I stopped playing live around 2 years ago,my last stint was guitar in a wedding/corporate functions outfit. Good money and sometimes good crack,but musically dead. It's a bit like whoring out your soul for money. On that circuit and in this country (N.Ireland) folk want to hear what they know,they have no time for anything they haven't heard before. Ya play what they know ,but you never grow!

I'm pleased you think what I do is good,but when it comes to production knowledge, I'm very much a learner compared to a lot of folk on here. I do have a tenacious bloodymindedness to get the best I can from the little gear I have. It's a gradual process!

@diademgrove

Thank you Keith,if you like something,sometimes it's cool to say just that without an extended typing session.  ;)

@Cawproductions

Cheers Andy. I'll also take this opportunity to thank you publicly for helpful advice via PM,your patience and time. Very much appreciated and another example of how this forum's members help each other grow and learn.  8)

@Johnnyuk

Many thanks Johnny.  :)

@LostBoy

Thanks Leo,my songwriting methods are a bit random at times!  :D

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 07:58:45 PM »
Hi Davy,

Another great track, I like the "I don't care what everyone thinks" vibe in the lyrics, and a nice rocking track too, great guitar work as usual, and I also like the harmonies.

I had a listen to the remix Andys done, and the vocal is sounding really nice.

Cheers, mikey