Modifying sounds

• 5 Replies

RadicalPosture

• Busker
« on: July 23, 2015, 10:21:24 AM »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of some software or a device I can use to modify sounds. I think Beardyman has something that he uses to sample vocal effects and modify them, but I'm not sure what that is.

Ideally something cheap or free would be good, but that's not essential.

Thanks.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 08:36:15 PM »
Hi Radical

What do you mean by modify? It sounds to me like you might benefit from some DAW software (Digital Audio Workstation). But without knowing exactly what you want to do, it's hard to say for sure.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 08:44:36 PM »
To add to Tone's comment if you have a DAW you may have some tools in there or certainly the ability to get free of cheap tools.. Whats your recording set-up?
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

RadicalPosture

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 09:59:16 PM »
Hi guys,

What I'm going for is a way to produce sounds with my voice. I can't play an instrument and I've heard that the singer Lorde makes all her music with her voice, and then changes the effects with some kind of software.

At the moment, I'm using LMMS and Audacity. Not exactly professional software, but they're good for composing and basic recording.

Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 10:03:05 PM by RadicalPosture »

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 10:12:23 PM »
I believe audacity is capable of running vst plugins, which is what you will require to manipulate your sound bytes.

The type of plugin you are going to need is called a sampler. Basically, it opens up inside audacity and will allow you to load a sample into it and the apply any number of effects, filters, etc.... To create new sounds. A very powerful inbstrument.  There are a lot of free ones out there, many of them used to be commercial products until they were superceded by better plugins so you know you are installing good quality products. One to try furst off would be shortcircuit from vemberaudio.se it should be enough to get you started for no outlay and then you can decide if this is the direction you are wabting to head in.

Good luck.

RadicalPosture

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 08:06:22 AM »
I believe audacity is capable of running vst plugins, which is what you will require to manipulate your sound bytes.

The type of plugin you are going to need is called a sampler. Basically, it opens up inside audacity and will allow you to load a sample into it and the apply any number of effects, filters, etc.... To create new sounds. A very powerful inbstrument.  There are a lot of free ones out there, many of them used to be commercial products until they were superceded by better plugins so you know you are installing good quality products. One to try furst off would be shortcircuit from vemberaudio.se it should be enough to get you started for no outlay and then you can decide if this is the direction you are wabting to head in.

Good luck.

That looks ideal. Thanks!