Rules and guidlines

• 17 Replies

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« on: October 20, 2015, 05:10:30 PM »
http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/song-reviews/guidelines-for-posting-a-song-review-please-read-before-posting/

are being ignored slowly but surely by a growing number of newbies...dunno if it bothers anyone else but I don't want to see this forum go the way other forums have gone...
also dunno what the solution might be, maybe the Rules and guidlines should more in your face when you join..

anyone care?

best, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 05:30:12 PM »
I care!

I feel I should apologise and let you all know that I'm in the middle of a family crisis at the moment, which could go on for some weeks or months. I'm wondering if it might be appropriate to appoint a couple of new moderators to keep things ship shape... Let me know your thoughts, y'all
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 06:14:21 PM »
hello

i think more (more active) moderators is a great idea  :)

...not just for guidance regarding rules and forum etiquette...but i'd love to hear more general opinions/reviews etc from the mods too

paul
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 07:08:42 PM »
I care!

I feel I should apologise and let you all know that I'm in the middle of a family crisis at the moment, which could go on for some weeks or months. I'm wondering if it might be appropriate to appoint a couple of new moderators to keep things ship shape... Let me know your thoughts, y'all

hope your family crisis is not too serious, you have my best wishes.. :) :)

I agree with PaulAds..some more active mods would be a good thing to keep the forum shipshape.. :)
we just need to let new posters know that it's better to be a part of this community..not just drop in to post a song then disappear until the next song..
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 07:12:03 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 08:42:01 PM »
That is awful news TONE - I hope things work out

I agree that it would help to "tighten up" the guidelines, especially those relating to the frequency of posting on the different boards

I personally like the 1 month limit idea for the finished songs and works in progress

After the recent discussions it may also help to impose a 2 week rule on the lyrics forum as well

Perhaps a bullet point list in the guidelines such as:

Finished song board: 1 month

Works in progress: 1 month

Lyrics: 2 weeks

We can then review the timescales depending on the pace of the forum as it does vary over time - eg if things slow down we can go back to 2 weeks for finished songs or remove the limit for lyrics etc.

As for the mods I quite like the brief TONE has given us, which is along the lines of the mods should be almost invisible and help with the running of the forum - the worst forums are those with "Nazi Mods"

If there are any issues please use the "report" button or drop me a PM

More mods would be very welcome, especially if they were more active in the other boards (eg lyrics, wip and competitions)

Just my $0.02
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 09:10:56 PM »
No need to apologise for anything Tone.

Sorry to hear about your crisis...all the best.

I'm sure your trusty lieutenants will hold the fort until all is resolved...with help from the rest of us of course.

I am all in favour of Boydie's suggestions for the finished songs board (if anybody was in any doubt about that!)

I don't frequent the other 2 boards so can't offer an opinion.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

johnlondon

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 10:00:04 PM »
First thing to say is, Tone, I hope your domestic issues resolve themselves happily and sooner rather than later. For what it`s worth you`ve started an excellent resource here. It inevitably has its issues, but they can be resolved easily, after all most people here are adults.

Boydie, I`m glad you used the term guidelines rather than rules, it is Tones wish that guidelines be applied and members act within those few simple protocols, without having to impose hard and fast rules.

I have only posted around 130 times over three months membership and that makes me a junior compared to some members, that’s fine, but for what it is worth my 1 centimes worth.

I don`t believe it`s necessary to restrict users to one song per month, two is fine provided people don`t continually bump their songs to the top of the list. When people want to thank others for feedback received one bump initially should be sufficient and then editing the original thankyou message should suffice thereafter. The issue of new members posting their songs is a growing pains issue, as the site attracts more members inevitably more songs will be posted (a good thing). Currently there are five new songs out of twenty seven and two messages relating to Sept` SOTM.

Members or mods should point out to new users the need to offer feedback if they post material for feedback. But that should be consistent, not only when people remember or get angry.

In the lyrics section one song per week would be an adequate limit, it`s quiet over there anyway, any further restrictions would strangle it.

In Wips and Collab`s no restrictions need apply those sections simply aren`t busy enough to warrant it.

I also think it would be a good idea to make Tones founding principles and the guidelines a sticky topic in each relevant section.

My views as a newbie, for what they`re worth. I do think members old and new should offer their views. I`m happy to be shot at, if people think I`m wrong.
I came in from the wilderness a creature void of forum

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 01:16:52 AM »

real sorry to hear your news tone
hope all works out  .

i do need to catch up on things.
ive been off the map last while, trouble at my mill also but hopefully right side of it now
anyway we kind of closed down the shutters for a while.
things happen in a flash but they can have a long tail.

its always been guidelines on here, its pretty subtle and i think its a one of the reasons its a brilliant place.
some folks will step over the line, its inevitable, always happened and every once in a while it comes to a head.  i think its exhuberance often and not paying attention.
pm's are sent out occasionally to 'jaywalkers' advising a read of the guidelines.

i think if you abuse the system repeatedly youll be chucked off is enough personally.

im not sure about 'one song a month'..? seems a longtime but it might be right,
would certainly leave plenty of grazing time and make possible visiting the 'outer boards of the forum galaxy' more likely..

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 07:32:02 AM »
Hope thinks are OK Tone,

As a relative newbie it's quite interesting to see how the forum works. I joined to both review and submit songs and as I can see a lot of members do that, but as you say there are a lot of "One trick pony's" who probably post here along with anywhere else they can find to submit their music.

For me the Forum thrives on feedback and long may that continue.

Cheers

John

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 08:23:53 AM »
Not sure about a month between songs, that could really slow the forum down and maybe give people less reason to visit..I try and visit the forum every day..only takes a few minutes but some visit to comment only when it's time to post a song, this is not a critisicm, :) I have no problem with this I know some peeps just don't have the time :) but if it was one song a month then they would clearly be here less..which wouldn't help the forum.. :)

lets keep it at a song per 14 days please..

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 08:38:37 AM »
I'm happy to leave it more or less to discretion. Actually I think not listening to others is worse than posting songs too often... However, in the end those people get bored - or ignored.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 08:44:05 AM »
First thing to say is, Tone, I hope your domestic issues resolve themselves happily and sooner rather than later. For what it`s worth you`ve started an excellent resource here. It inevitably has its issues, but they can be resolved easily, after all most people here are adults.

Boydie, I`m glad you used the term guidelines rather than rules, it is Tones wish that guidelines be applied and members act within those few simple protocols, without having to impose hard and fast rules.

I have only posted around 130 times over three months membership and that makes me a junior compared to some members, that’s fine, but for what it is worth my 1 centimes worth.

I don`t believe it`s necessary to restrict users to one song per month, two is fine provided people don`t continually bump their songs to the top of the list. When people want to thank others for feedback received one bump initially should be sufficient and then editing the original thankyou message should suffice thereafter. The issue of new members posting their songs is a growing pains issue, as the site attracts more members inevitably more songs will be posted (a good thing). Currently there are five new songs out of twenty seven and two messages relating to Sept` SOTM.

Members or mods should point out to new users the need to offer feedback if they post material for feedback. But that should be consistent, not only when people remember or get angry.

In the lyrics section one song per week would be an adequate limit, it`s quiet over there anyway, any further restrictions would strangle it.

In Wips and Collab`s no restrictions need apply those sections simply aren`t busy enough to warrant it.

I also think it would be a good idea to make Tones founding principles and the guidelines a sticky topic in each relevant section.

My views as a newbie, for what they`re worth. I do think members old and new should offer their views. I`m happy to be shot at, if people think I`m wrong.

not too long ago I started a thread asking about thanking/bumping and the general consensus was that if there are people to thank then it's ok.. :) :)

can't figure out how to quote just a section so sorry about the whole quote.. :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:46:28 AM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 08:50:18 AM »
I'm happy to leave it more or less to discretion. Actually I think not listening to others is worse than posting songs too often... However, in the end those people get bored - or ignored.

I'm intrigued by your post..are you suggesting that posting a song every two weeks is posting a song too often :)

you surely don't mean this.. ???

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 10:29:23 AM »
Hi all, and first of all Tone, I hope you get your personal travails sorted, good luck!

I think the guidelines for posting and behaviour are largely irrelevant because most of the users and posters are sensible people who are there for positive reasons. I can only think of a few times where a serious issue has arisen that has ended badly, most times a few words can resolve the situation, or the miscreant realises and leaves. So, I think Tone and the moderators do a fine job. I would be reluctant to support a once a month posting rule for songs. I think 14 days is normally sufficient. I know that during some prolific times I've found the 14 day rule a constraint, but on balance I think it is fine.
When you start applying rules I think it can easily unbalance the strength of this forum which in my opinion largely works well. There have been the occasional numpties but they tend to crash and burn pretty quickly.
Let Tone and the mods keep up the good work!

Cheers
Jamie

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 10:39:30 AM »
are you suggesting that posting a song every two weeks is posting a song too often

No, no, I am fine with the way things are! And I still wouldn't really mind if someone posted more occasionally as long as they are contributing and giving as much as they get...