konalavadome

New to the forum - thoughts on this instrumental?

• 5 Replies

NickyFinn

• Busker
« on: December 11, 2016, 02:26:26 PM »
Hi Everyone.  Just been recommended to the forum and wanted to get feedback - specifically, ideas where this style of music might find a home (be nice, please!!).  Just a quick intro.  I have been passionate about music for many years but family (and a love of fast cars) has dictated I spend most of my life in the corporate world.  My taste in music is pretty wide but I guess at heart I am something of a prog rocker and love to blend the sound of guitar with more classical instruments such as flute and oboe.  So, here's the most recent post to Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/nickyfinn/letting-go

I tend to write about a theme or a story (other tracks such as Eye of the Storm and Breaking Point are pretty self-explanatory) and this one is an attempt to explore the feelings  associated with finally giving up on a dream or goal.  Anyway, look forward to any comments and advice!

Cheers

N

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 11:15:47 PM »
Hi N.

Welcome to the forum. Here's my thoughts. It's very, very, very prog rock. About as prog rock as you can get! I'm hearing a lot of pink floyd in the Gilmore era. It's well put together and the mix sounds about right so you've done a good job technically.
At 6 minutes it's a lot to take in for the casual listener, which may explain why you've not had much feedback. Also the lack of lyrics makes it less interesting to many viewers here so don't be downhearted by lack of interest here. What could this music be used for? Well I have no idea to be honest, but I'm sure anyone who likes Gilmore will like this.
I personally prefer the Barratt era of Floyd and prefer my prog rock to be a little edgier. But you've done a good job mate, you should be proud of putting this together.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 10:41:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum Nicky!

This is a lovely piece and I particularly like the intro. Agree with the other comment that this is definitely "hard" prog rock and you have done a great job with it. It reminds me a lot of Yes or early Genesis. I could envisage this as movie soundtrack material, but not sure how you would go about getting exposure.

Enjoyed the listen, thanks

Kevin

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 10:36:01 PM »
Wah ! Nicky. What an introduction to the forum. Progrocktastic. Thought you had some interesting ideas going on. Harked back to early seventies stuff and as an example of that genre is well done. Hope you have a chance to review some of the other songs on the forum and find out what a broad church of songwriters exist. Welcome maaan !

jamesh

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 12:56:31 AM »
Hi Nicky

Well, I too have been a fan of Genesis and Pink Floyd, but this feels more Yes to me! It also has shades of some Porcupine Tree(The Sky Moves Sideways) so if you want to listen to some more modern Prog, then check them out or the solo albums by the Steven Wilson (the driving force behind PT). They have a lot light and Shade in their work.

It nice relaxing listen, and well played and recorded. Even though we live in a world of the 3 minute pop song, 6 minutes is actually quite short for a Prog track, and this isnt trying to be Pop.

One small preference of mine would be to add more reverb (or maybe delay) to the snare as it doesn't feel very "stadium" and for me didn't quite sound right.

Thanks

James

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 10:29:11 AM »
I liked the piece a lot and it is a nice listen

It is very "prog rock" and I liked the use of dissonance

The recording and mix sounds nice - although I felt there were a few timing issues throughout, between the backing instruments and rhythm, which didn't quite "gel" for me

I will try to help you tackle this point:

Just been recommended to the forum and wanted to get feedback - specifically, ideas where this style of music might find a home (be nice, please!!).

The problem with "prog rock", and potentially this track, is that it can be perceived as a little "self indulgent" - and when I saw 6 minutes it set alarm bells ringing!

IMHO your best chance of finding a home for this type of music is sync placement (background music for TV and film)

However, if you did want to go down this route you would need to change your approach

You would need to really focus on a single "feel", vibe and motif within a single piece and aim to get it to 1 to 2 mins - rather than a range of different vibes

You probably have 3 or 4 different vibes in this track so with a bit of work you could chop it up to make 4 separate pitchable instrumentals to pitch for tv and film placement

It is a highly competitive market but to answer your question I think this would be the most appropriate "home" for this type of music
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic