konalavadome

You Haven’t Seen The Last Of Me

• 6 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: May 11, 2024, 11:05:42 AM »
Just thought I’d drop in here to say that I’m still alive and kicking. I don’t suppose I’ll be anything like as active as I used to be, but it’ll be lovely to catch up with a few old friends.

I’ve recently finished a new album which is a mixture of really old songs and fairly recent ones and this one seemed appropriate under the circumstances. I didn’t put it in “finished songs” as I’ve not been around for reviewing for such a long time, but thought I’d whack it in here in case anyone fancies hearing the sort of thing I’ve been up to lately.

I wrote this one in 1987 or thereabouts. I was so excited about it, it’s taken me 37 years to record it satisfactorily and post it in the wrong section of the forum  :P

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 09:16:26 PM »
This is such a banging track @PaulAds Just excellent songwriting and execution of ideas with no bollocks involved. I love the album as it’s a piece of work that you could imagine being on a delicious slice of shiny 12 inch vinyl (It should be) with all the lyrics on the album back cover so that they can be contemplated while listening to the whole album in the correct sequence on a big old Hi Fi system. Having had the unfortunate experience of having the telly on and catching about 10 minutes of Eurovision, this reminds me of what real music is all about 😀

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 10:18:53 AM »
Just thought I’d drop in here to say that I’m still alive and kicking. I don’t suppose I’ll be anything like as active as I used to be, but it’ll be lovely to catch up with a few old friends.

I’ve recently finished a new album which is a mixture of really old songs and fairly recent ones and this one seemed appropriate under the circumstances. I didn’t put it in “finished songs” as I’ve not been around for reviewing for such a long time, but thought I’d whack it in here in case anyone fancies hearing the sort of thing I’ve been up to lately.

I wrote this one in 1987 or thereabouts. I was so excited about it, it’s taken me 37 years to record it satisfactorily and post it in the wrong section of the forum  :P

Hey, @PaulAds

Nice to see you back.

I've played this 5 times and it's a real grower. It's a just a really good song which you've kept simple and interesting. Top marks from me.

In regards to your voice, do you mind me asking if it is damaged? I only ask because a couple of years ago I went to a vocal health practitioner and she gave me some exercises to to daily which made a significant difference.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 01:48:11 PM »
Thanks, John!

Ta for that, Nick @Nick Ryder

Yeah...I lost my voice completely a few years back...I couldn't even speak for a few days. I did six weeks of speech therapy and was told I have "functional dysphonia" and a "phonatory gap" whereby my vocal folds never really close properly, which results in air escaping and my voice being thin, breathy and easily tired. I've also got TMJ which can pull and stretch the muscles and ligaments around my jaw and throat, which leads to extra tension. The speech therapist said that my larynx basically doesn't tilt, so access to higher notes is pretty difficult. I've tried singing lessons but the improvement was marginal, really. I still do quite a lot of exercises just to be able to keep doing it, although it was recommended that I stop singing unless I learn to do it properly as I could end up losing my voice for good. That seemed a little overly-dramatic...and I still play gigs every week...although I'm no longer the main singer in our band.

I'd be interested to know what the exercises were that you found so useful...I'd certainly give them a try. I haven't yet found any that really worked well for me.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2024, 04:07:44 PM »
@PaulAds I'm very sorry to hear that. I guess for a singer it's a bit like losing a limb.

I went to singing lessons for different reasons. When I started this songwriting project 3 years ago, I'd not actually sung for 13 years and my voice was shot. The singing teacher taught me lots of things and to be honest, the first lesson was spent mostly blowing through a straw and doing lip bubbles. Amazing results though as I have improved my tone, pitch, and range. On top of that, it is effortless now and I never need to strain.

My singing teacher was a qualified vocal health practitioner, and one time I turned up with a sore throat, so she took me through some very different exercises to repair my voice. I remember lots of Tsssss, and shhhhhhh and having to make gentle whimper sounds.

I have been to another singing teacher who admitted that she didn't know the first thing about vocal health which was worrying.

My only advice would be to look for someone who is qualified rather than just a singing teacher because there are no regulations in this field, and anyone could claim to be a singing teacher.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2024, 08:12:47 PM »
Really nice song.
It's great to hear from you.
You've done a lot of good ones.
I'm surprised to read you've had some serious issues
 with your voice.
Very distinctive. I've always liked your songs.
I found the first time I listened, I thought your voice was a lot to deal with,
I soon started to appreciate it, it gives the songs more edge.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2024, 09:48:25 PM »
Hey @PaulAds - so happy to see you posting..

Damage or not, I love the rasp of your vocal, always have.. But interested to read the back and forth between you and Nick.. I guess if there's someone out who can help you protect your voice that would be a great outcome.

Great lyrics as always and I welcome the theme of course. I'll be happy if you keep writing and posting in whatever board you choose..

This forum is the members so I'm hoping that you keep posting.

K