A case of writer's dread - what to do?

• 6 Replies

punranger

• Busker
« on: March 14, 2023, 07:48:09 PM »
Hi guys and gals, I just joined. Instead of searching the forum and the web for existing answers, I jump right in and ask for advice here, like no ever's asked the question before. It might be that I just need to vent and beg for a little sympathy. So please forgive my transgressions. Here goes:

I'm primarily a musician and composer. I've finished an album's worth of melodies, with representative demos of arrangements. The funny thing that happened was that almost all these melodies came to me by divine inspiration. I just sat down and started clunking the ivories, and all these ideas poured out. It was also apparent to me that these tunes were SONGS, they needed words. Now, I'm a fairly able writer generally. Most of the tunes I've written in the past have been instrumentals, and writing lyrics always came second to writing melodies. But I could always rip out a few lines of verse.

But now, I'm having a special case of writer's block: the writer's dread. I pretty much decided on the topics for my tunes. That part was quite easy, as the music speaks to me directly. I even got some of the basic rhymes worked out. But now I've been working on these tunes for the better part of a year, and where I previously spent an afternoon banging out the words, and usually was quite pleased with the result, this time around I'm suddenly full of dread. I can't seem to finalize a single song. I find this so frustrating, given that the tunes just rolled off the fingers, I know the mood I'm aiming for, and I've got a lot of rhymes worked out. But all of a sudden, the process has become forced. How I wish I could continue in the playful mode I was in when I came up with the tunes...

So, I'm curious. What's the general consensus on how to deal with a situation like this? Should I just leave the tunes alone for now, and trust in divine inspiration at some unknown point in the future, or should I sweat it out and stay with it? Or should I do something else completely? Asking someone else to finish the lyrics is not an option...

Thanks to whoever takes the time to reply!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 09:23:02 PM »
Ah ! The dreaded writers block. I guess a lot of us write in “spurts” Sometimes it all comes out then we get constipated and even a tin of prunes doesn’t work. I don’t think that there is any answer that will solve the problem but a few suggestions…

1. Take a short break
2. Do something totally unrelated from music for a while, go for a walk, read a book, watch a film
3. Appreciate that this happens and the mojo will come back
4. Experiment with a musical style that you are totally uncomfortable with !

Anyway, none of these may not work for you but give it time and you will be bouncing again

Cheers!

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 09:28:25 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum,

Different people with have different answers. I think writers block is usually one of 2 things - either you're too tired (creatively knackered) and need a short time out for TLC or you are stopping yourself (dread) from finishing it for some reason only your psychotherapist or you could guess at.
   My advice would be to sit down a with your note pad/word document/whatever and just write. It doesn't matter if it comes out badly. You've started. That is half the battle. You'll see what works and what doesn't and you then have the bones of a structure to the rhymes/subject you have in mind.

Remember, you haven't ceased to be able to write. You've put up a mental blockade. As I say, that's either self defence - your mind telling you to take a time out or it's a fear thing. Put in a few hard sessions and you may soon realise that your writing just how you always have all over again. That or do something new creatively and then return to this project fresh faced. Or not - I don't know. I'm just a pleb on the internet.  ;D

CCB
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 09:30:12 PM by CorkingCrackBand »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 09:07:47 AM »
Hi - these things happen. Time is a great thing. Movement is also good - walking or biking seem to unlock things for me. Or you could try this: http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=18632.msg180164;topicseen#msg180164

MarkSongPad

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 06:11:10 PM »
Hi punranger

I know the feeling of writers block...try putting your lyrics into SongPad (www.songpad.co)

We have built a feature to help with this called "Lyric Helper'. There are 2 versions of it

Basic creates lyrics based on genre, mood and artist style

Advanced helps with individual lyric lines. Find a lyric that 'starts with' rhymes with' or 'contains'

Sounds like 'advanced' might help you

Hope this helps

missking1

• Busker
    • Exemplary Сasual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 11:21:03 AM »
Creative blocks happen to the best of us. My advice: take a break, don't force it, and let inspiration come naturally.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 05:12:54 PM »
@missing1

Forgive me for not reading the previous replies other than your own.  I think in doing so, I won't be influenced and might come up with something that someone else. hasn't suggested.

Take a break from writing: days, weeks months.  You'll know when it is time to return.  If you love to write and play, you'll know exactly when the time is right.  I had to do this recently as my working life didn't allow me to indulge in the writing process. 

I always knew that I could write and would never suffer writer's block. There comes a time when you understand that writing is an essential part of who you are and it is then that you will find the desire to express your creativeness.  After several months, I was starting to wonder if I would lose my writing ability (that's really quite silly since I've honed my writing skills to a point where they will simply not desert me).  I then quickly wrote a song to reaffirm this.  Feeling quite pleased with myself, I then waited a week and still I had a burning desire to write.  In the following week, I wrote 6 more songs.  None of these songs are substandard.   I believe that they are first-rate compositions.  The main thing that i did notice is that my writing voice was  refreshed.  I'd hate to say that I have a favourite as they all carry a poignant message.  Along the way, I wrote a song called "Houdini in Shackles"

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/houdini-in-shackles-produced

It isn't forced and neither are any of the others.  I decided that this would be a great title for an album.  I have now produced 8 songs for that album, all to a high standard.  Strangely, the first song "Don't Drown In Blue", which I will always have a soft spot for, hasn't yet been produced.  (I must get round to doing that).

When you return, there will be many ways to write lyrics.  It's not always my technique but I would consider writing to a title.  The title should present many ideas.  In the above example "Houdini In Shackles, I decided to read about the escapologist, what he did, what his beliefs were, how they aligned with my own, and how I could relate his life and adventures to my own thoughts and considerations.  It really is quite a simple way to write but the end result should be sophisticated because of your research.  Choose a topic; there are so many.  Off the top of my head,  The James Webb Telescope would be a great topic.  I'm already thinking about who invented it, obstacles faced by the designers and engineers, its purpose, what scientists and astronomers thought it would discover, what it has discovered, what it tells us about the past, how it might impact our future etc  Relate your findings to an aspect of your life, the lives of other people.  Relate it to human emotions. The possibilities are endless.   

It's your task as a songwriter to organise your thoughts and to bring something creative into being.

Good luck!

Paul
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 07:33:20 PM by Wicked Deeds »