Paddy Joe 'The New Mozart'

• 4 Replies

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« on: September 29, 2010, 07:52:55 PM »
Last week I had such a surreal experience when I met my songwriting hero quite by chance.  I don't want to disclose the details of our conversation, but would like to share the lyrics of a song that I have written about this experience.  The title of the song is based on a song called 'Meet The New Mozart, written by the same gentleman!    I'll eventually get 'round to recording this but for now,  the lyrics will have to suffice.  I hope that you enjoy reading the lyrics.

Paddy Joe 'The New Mozart'

I was thinking that maybe the guy with the cane
could be someone that I'd wished to meet.
I followed behind with my thoughts in a spin,
to the rhythm of shuffling feet.

So softly he spoke to confirm the truth.
Weathered by time, quite in touch, not aloof.

The wonder of such an event!

The composer of songs so divine, I declare
there is no one of heaven or earth.
There is no one who sings of such wonderful things
and I wandered, did he know their worth?

So softly he spoke to confirm the truth.
Weathered by time, quite in touch, not aloof.

His music, opposing the trend,
delightfully making amends.
Melodies sung from the heart.
Say Paddy Joe,  'The New Mozart.'

Written by Paul Vasey
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:09:08 PM by pablo »

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 09:35:55 PM »
Paul, I'm intrigued! Who is this gentle and modest songwriter your song is about? Your descriptions of him are sublime in places - I love this line "Weathered by time, quite in touch, not aloof". Very touching. I'm really looking forward to hearing this one :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Paul

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 09:45:07 PM »
Hi Tone,

The gentleman that I met is Paddy Mcaloon the songwriter from Prefab Sprout.  I've refrained from disclosing the details of our meeting as it was such a special event.  I think that to do so, would destroy the magic of this chance meeting.  Suffice to say, that it was a wonderful day for me! 

Paul

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 10:40:31 PM »
I'm ashamed to say that I don't know a single Prefab Sprout song. Of course I've heard the name, but I don't know any of the music. I'm going to have to go and investigate now :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Paul

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 04:06:30 PM »
Hi Tone,

If you're going to listen to Prefab Sprout, might I suggest that you start with a collection of singles:  'When Love Breaks Down', Goodbye Lucille (Johnny Johnny), 'Life Of Surprises', 'Cars And Girls', 'Hey Manhattan', 'Carnival 2000', 'Electric Guitars', and 'Music Is A Princess.'  The final track isn't a single, but it demands to be heard!  Yes, these recordings do sound a little old fashioned, but they are still masterpieces.  If you like the above and really want to travel beyond the singles and find out what Prefab Sprout are really all about, then listen to the albums 'Steve McQueen', 'Jordan The Comeback' 'Andromeda Heights' and 'Let's change The World with Music'.  If you can get past the synthetic sounds that the band often uses in the recording process, then, you'll be rewarded with a masterclass in songwriting.  Paddy Mcaloon tackles so many different themes in his writing and so eloquently too. If you manage to get as far as 'Let's Change The World with Music'  which includes 'Music Is a Princess', then, note that this album contains demo recording that Paddy Made in 1993 which, were declined for recording by his record company at that time.  The album was finally released in demo format last year to huge critical acclaim.  It's totally dated but the songs are wonderful!  Supporters of Prefab Sprout have suffered long and hard, eagerly awaiting new and  more modern recordings from Paddy McAloon ,who is often described as an reclusive genius!  Hope you like his songwriting.  In many ways I envy you for not knowing a single song. This is a great opportunity to fall in love with songs that are nothing short of excellent!