konalavadome

Making a living...

• 17 Replies

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 08:01:34 AM »
I used to make a full-time living on songwriting back in the day so yes, I have placed songs.

Today I'm a happy amateur who just happens to still love the whole process that is songwriting.

/Peter

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 11:03:49 AM »
I don't even make enough to eat at McDonalds once.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 11:41:26 AM »
I think making a living from music has got harder across the board...on  the professional  side of things. But there's plenty of cash in music , just got to get a bucket in the revenue stream.

From my reading blogs etc...musicians (instruments only) have a hard time of it, guess there's always someone cheaper about now and good.

I think if you're a band or lone performer...lots and lots of gigging , selling merch etc ..may make it possible...something that the internet has helped with.

With the placing of songs, well i see the good all rounders can do ok , making music for synchronisation on films or TV.

And then the romantic idea of getting a song with a major artist. This is the dream that most on here would want.
It's all or nothing in the music game...

Some points to consider ,that i can think of.

1) They have to see how they can make money out of you.
2) You have to have better songs than they have, or at least material
    they can't easily say no to.
3) You need to be seen has a trustworthy player, they need to like you.
4) Every cut is a miracle.

But at the end of the day, they're just a bunch of people that drink coffee and talk.
I had a few Tweets with the producer of The Daily Show..7.3 million followers( the show) and  have got a load of likes...ok it's not anything but, you get your name out there.