konalavadome

...I should have taken that opportunity....

• 8 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: October 11, 2020, 11:06:12 AM »
Around June 1985, my bird at the time offered me a ticket to a gig, She said one of the car of 4 people dropped out and did I want to come?, She explained there would be a few good bands on, and that it would be at Wembley Stadium...

About 10 years before that My dear Dad took me to Wembley Stadium to see a friendly footy international England v someone else...it was a long drive, awful traffic, cold, hard seats, boring game, you know the ones, bored bored bored...

So with this still engrained in my memory I declined the kind offer...

Of course this was Live Aid.

...have you had a similar experience?

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 05:28:06 PM »
My "similar experience" had nothing to do with music. A friend and I had registered for a Bahá'í youth conference in Hawaii. We found a good price on flights from Minnesota  but we had to go a few days early. That was fine with us. I was really excited about actually going to Hawaii!

Then a couple weeks before we were to leave, my friend backed out. I think she was nervous about doing something so adventurous. I should have gone anyway. I had ways to connect with people. I could have found hospitality and would have had a great time. But I chickened out. I bought a vacuum cleaner with the money. I've always regretted not going.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 07:51:40 PM »
In early 2014 Prince was doing a run of "pop up" Hit & Run gigs in London

No advertising and REALLY short notice - ie only announced in the afternoon for gigs that evening

There were no tickets - you just had to turn up, queue and hope you got in

There was was "argy bargy" in some of the queues and some nights he did 2 shows a night

I thought long and hard about just going up to London and trying to get in - but then thought I would wait until his tour...which of course will never happen  :'(
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 08:28:54 PM »
@Boydie - yeah shame...i had a similar issue and I DID go, it was billy idol in Birmingham a couple of years ago, it was a tiny gig, a warm up just before huge tour, and by golly Im glad i went, steve stevens was excellent...billy idol however managed to take his leather studded waistcoat off and then on again later on inside out...and then managed to cock the announcement of his biggest hit up... two words...with a rebel yell...billy, that’s four...I wasn’t a fan really, my daughter was, but steve was really together.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 08:31:23 PM by cowparsleyman »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 08:32:35 PM »
I don't think I've ever passed on an opportunity to do something that I later wish I had done. A couple of friends wives, perhaps...but, as I think Groucho Marx said...I don't want to be in any club that would have me in it.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 09:22:46 AM »
The old Wembley was pretty sh*t really, low rise so bad views in the stands and terrible facilities. Possibly the acoustics were better than the ones today - now it is really really bad. I went to the "classic" Foo Fighters concert there and couldn't wait to leave. By all accounts Fleetwood Mac last year was extraordinarily bad too.

Also everything depends on how you're feeling that day too...

I remember being in Rome one night and these people we had just met were like do you want to come to a party and my friend was well up for it and I was like "there is no way I am getting in that car"... who knows what I missed.

I tend to think you make the best decisions you can with the brain you have at the time.

I will now be hiding my bride from PaulAds, though...

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 09:51:31 AM »
No one has anything to fear in that regard, Adam. Whatever unfathomable appeal I might have once had is long gone. I think they just wanted a bit of drama, a punch-up and an escape route.

I was at Wembley stadium when Evil Knievel fell off his mobility scooter in an attempt to jump over some busses back in the 70s. I think that’s why I’ve never been bothered by GarageBand’s lack of busses 😂 . My brother and I sneaked onto the pitch with a football for a quick kickabout which infuriated the life out of a comedy cockney groundsman. Flapping about like Dick Van Dyke, he was...the miserable bastard.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 02:26:22 PM »
@PaulAds "a bit of drama, a punch-up and an escape route" - now there's an album title... "Unfathomable appeal" is also a good one but you are probably being too modest.

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 03:08:55 PM »
By all accounts Fleetwood Mac last year was extraordinarily bad too.

tbf, Fleetwood Mac are just extraordinarily bad now, doesn't matter where you stick 'em...

I've never been to a festival. I wish I had seen Bowie at least once. But I don't think I ever really had an opportunity to see a legend that I passed up on.

I would like to see Brian Wilson. He's done a farewell tour every year since 2015 so should be fairly easy.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle