**Forum Under New Management / Ownership**

• 30 Replies

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 06:55:24 PM »
Tone, fantastic work on the Forum. Like many other members, I am so pleased I stumbled upon it. Its a real gem.

Boydie, I am sure you are the right man to take over. And if you need any help, I owe you one.

cheers

Ben

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 08:27:53 PM »
I'd like to add my thanks too, to Tone for starting it all and getting to here and to Boydie for being such a mine of info and help over that time. Since I found this place I've gone from a few scribbled notes to almost 200 songs recorded. Thanks Tone, good luck Boydie.
GTB
GTB

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 10:04:51 PM »
HUGE thanks to TONE for birthing this magnificent forum and enduring with it particularly in the more challenging times of late. Although I haven't been on much posting reviews or threads of late (something I plan to rectify!) I can't really remember the pre-forum period when I had nothing to browse in my unwinding 'down' time other than depressing news sites!

Likewise HUGE congrats extended to Boydie - if there's anyone's safe and capable hands Tone could entrust his 'baby' to it is Boydie. An unsurpassed enthusiasm for music and a hunger  to better every aspect of writing, production etc in his own work will no doubt permeate into his approach to the forum too. Exciting times ahead indeed!

I look forward to the Boyide era with anticipation and will reflect on the Tone era with fondness.

Best of luck to both 24 carat guys :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 10:06:55 PM by Sing4me88 »

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 08:17:56 PM »
Awwww thanks folks!

What can I say that I haven't already said? I may have started the forum, but it's the member who've kept it going and made it the glorious place it is today. So give yourselves a round of applause I say. Bravo!

Great to see so much support for Boydie here too :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 08:20:41 AM »
Way to go Boydie.. :) :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 09:34:18 AM »
Hi all, I'd like to echo the sentiments expressed by all the respondents! Thanks to Tone for setting up this great forum and good luck to Boydie as the new captain of the ship ( even though you don't need it!).I'm sure your new vision will be exciting!
Cheers
Jamie

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2016, 03:27:06 PM »
Just a thought, and I'm sure it would have come up in the survey. Maybe the forum should encourage members to share the web address more - i.e. drop a link or tag when posting songs on Soundcloud/Youtube/Facebook/Reverbnation etc. Mentioning it in the spiel when uploading to BBC Introducing etc, having a banner to share on any other website members might be involved with.

Sometimes it feels kind-of like a great little secret - which is no bad thing - but I think we could all benefit from having more regular posters & reviewers.

Ben

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2016, 04:53:24 PM »
Thanks BEN

That is definitely part of the plan

I like looking at things via the 4Ps (product, place, promotion and price)

I am keen to get the "Product" right first, with the new logo, re-vamp, enhancements etc. - but retaining the existing "feel"

I will then look at "promotion" to "spread the word" and get new members (but this will be in a "managed" way so that we do not get over run and spoil the existing community feel

In the very long-term I would like to build enough content and "goodies" to consider offering a paid for "premium membership" option, which is where "price" would come in to play. This is not even in my thoughts at the moment so don't panic, it is just something I aspire to if/when I consider there is product worth paying for

"Place" is a little less relevant for this type of venture but still has its place (excuse the pun) - eg is the website easy to find, navigate etc.

The survey results will be published very soon - I just need 1 more response to hit my target of 50 respondents...
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Oldbutyet

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2016, 07:57:35 PM »
I think when it comes to promoting what you have here maybe think about getting in touch with some online radio stations, putting it to them that maybe getting a slot of an hour to play songs and promoting your forum and in return you could fit in a way to advertise their radio station and of course more ideas would come from that, im sure there are a few online radio stations that would go with that idea.

As i said maybe something to think about, good luck with everything.

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2016, 08:20:54 PM »
Cheers Boydie, It feels like its in the right hands. And there is certainly a great deal of value here in terms of expertise. 

Like the idea from Oldbutyet too. There is plenty of material here for any online/amateur radio station.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2016, 08:34:59 PM »
Premium membership... i wonder how many peoples hearts sank when they read that?
Im not blaming you paul for wanting to make money... its naïve to think someone would buy a forum just for love

you know a week or 2 ago I was trying to count how many core members there were at the moment  bcos it seemed very low... (lower than I  remember it times before)...you know the ones who keep the site running...  its not the mods who do it its those dedicated members who  regularly review all the songs & provide a service that people want ...which is to have someone listen to their songs & say nice  encouraging things about them...thats the most valuable thing on offer here
I didnt include people who post their songs on lots of  forums &  share there time with here & elsewhere
or the people who are just here  to take without giving anything back... but any way I only counted about 15 dedicated members.....  &  theyare only volunteers!
thats not much for people to spend money for  :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2016, 10:13:22 PM »
You have completely misunderstood what I said

The "forum" part would always stay untouched and free - a forum is only as good as its members and quality is ALWAYS more important that quantity to me - and I would take the 15 or so dedicated core members you mention over a million fly by nighters!

Interestingly, the forum did recently pass a major milestone with 131 different users online (13th May) - there is a good mix of core users, lurkers, returners etc. etc. - it is all good and everyone is welcome

I think most know me well enough to know that I didn't buy the forum with the intention of turning it in to a money making machine at the expense of damaging the community

I was referring to a "potential" (with no plans or thought put into it) resource of CONTENT that some may find valuable enough to "buy" - such as a video series on songwriting, production, mixing, mastering, songwriting camps, seminars, meet ups - or a private area where those that want access to information that can't be shared in a public forum (pitches, tip sheets, contact details etc. etc.)

This is all pie in the sky ideas at the moment and there is certainly nothing "sinister" going on

If I have any ideas about exactly what I think may have some value I will start a discussion - I know when I was starting out I would have paid good money for someone to "hold my hand" through the minefield of choosing the right equipment, setting up a DAW (after learning what a DAW is), how to record properly, how to mix, learn about EQ, compression, different songwriting techniques, music theory, mastering, how the music industry works, how to pitch, what does a publisher do, how to prepare for open mics, how to get gigs - the list just goes on and on

The information is all out there on t'internet but I am talking about a (potential) series of tutorials specifically aimed at SONGWRITERS that want to learn enough to get "broadcast quality" demos recorded by themselves

I don't think anyone would begrudge having the option to pay for access to this information bearing in mind the time, effort and expertise involved putting it all together

Whatever happens in the future there are certainly no plans to consider charging for anything that is currently available on the forum so you can re-float your heart  ;D

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2016, 10:36:18 PM »
I love this forum. I have a found it a great inspiration both in writing music and in listening to new stuff. I would say hearing other peoples songs has been the biggest gain for me, with so much creativity and so many amazing musicians out there. I have only been here a relatively short time but I feel like this is a new home. It has a wonderful membership to it and that is what makes it special.

I am writing more than I ever have in the last few years and it is down to this place. Home from home.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2016, 10:46:53 PM »
I am writing more than I ever have in the last few years and it is down to this place. Home from home.

You are soooooo right

The forum can cause a "virtuous cycle" where you get inspired to write and then feedback you get inspires you to get better, then you review others and expand your musical knowledge (I hadn't ever listened to,folk music before joining this forum but I am now a bonafide "fan" of a few our our folky types on the forum), which inspires more writing, which gets better feedback as members get to know you - rinse and repeat

I think the the main "positive" here is that most members here are really supportive in the right way - but not in the "I will say something nice about you just so you are nice to me" way

Also, the sheer variety of quality music posted never ceases to amaze me

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2016, 11:01:30 PM »
I think the the main "positive" here is that most members here are really supportive in the right way - but not in the "I will say something nice about you just so you are nice to me" way

Also, the sheer variety of quality music posted never ceases to amaze me

+1 to both those points. I love the honesty of the feedback and the lengths people go to when giving a critique. I prefer the honesty much more than a youre great, please tell me I am. And yes, the quality of songwriting has given me a new perspective on the music industry and the crap that is currently out there. Take Mr S´s new ditty - it should be No.1 all over the world right now.