All that remains - Pop ballad

• 24 Replies

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 11:00:54 AM »
Thanks a lot for the comments!

@adamfarr: Yes, maybe I should have added a middle 8 or something... but then again I was going for a feeling of loneliness and monotony. Great to hear that you liked the "one spoon" image, I was not sure if this worked in my head only.

@DanJames: Wow, have you been watching me? ;-) Thanks for that description, I think it falls right were I was aiming at.

@MartiMedia: Thanks for your feedback, I am always hoping for helpful advice. Yes, that is me singing, and yes it is forced and uncomfortable. ;-) I do not know why I had such troubles in recording those vocals. The version that is online now is the one with "more feeling" already, but since the emotion of this song is sadness and boredom, that is where I got with trying to convey that emotion. Generally as a non-native speaker it is not easy for me to find the right level of emotion while singing. It often feels overdone and/or too aggressive when I try to sing emotionally. Then I reduce that and it gets boring... but I will keep that in mind.

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

johnlondon

• Open Mic
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 11:24:52 AM »
Hello Wolfi,

Much prefer this second version. The normalised plaintiff vocals work well. Also liked the guitars.

Interesting theme, I`ve lived that life. Get dogs and find love with another species, the only answer.
I came in from the wilderness a creature void of forum

Michael C

• Busker
    • The Sunny Sundays
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 02:21:09 PM »
Great song!

Love the sudden ending with the word 'stops' :)

And I must say it was quit a nice little surprising to read a reference to my last song here, thanks for that.  It's true that the condition in which you wrote this song is identical to mine :D

I kinda agree with MartiMedia on the voice, but at least you can sing in tune (which I can't) :D

Well done!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2015, 09:59:20 PM »
This is a lovely little song

I was also getting a familiar feel from some of the chords & melodies but they were always far enough away from being "copies" so no worries there

I agree about trying to get some more emotion into the vocals

+1 to the great idea of stopping on the word "stops" - really nice touch

The instrumentation was nice - I would like to hear it without the "gaps" after each turnaround

Overall though it was a great listen
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 11:04:50 AM »
Thanks a lot for the comments!

@johnlondon: "normalised plaintiff voice"... lol. I love that! ;-)

@michael C: Well, I guess if I had such a great and willing singer at hand like you, then I would not have  to use my own voice ;-)

@boydie: Well the chords were in so far a bit unusual for me as they did not follow one of the common progressions, but then again not very original since they were simple going down the scale in the bass (G/D - C- Hm - Am - G) mostly.

As for the gaps... I just liked that chord I used at the end of each run so much that I wanted it to ring out clearly. ;-) But perhaps I overdid that a bit...

Thanks again, Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

mondobongo

• Open Mic
    • My pages at BandCamp
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 06:42:38 PM »
Nice song. Other folks have mentioned the vocal but I think it's very difficult for anybody to do a good vocal at this slow tempo. I think it would only work with a breathy female vocal. Reminds me a bit of Kingston Town and I think it would actually really work well with a reggae arrangement and a slightly higher tempo.
That's the end of my criticism though, it's a very good song with strong sentiments. I love the ending where it just stops. It's also very catchy and as I type this I can still hear you singing "All that remains" in my head. That's always the sign of a good song.

Well done
Mo

olivergearing

• Open Mic
    • Oliver Gearing @ Reverbnation
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 02:18:41 AM »
Hi,

Loved the song, really nice (but sad vibe). The mood you have created is perfect for the lyrics.

I like the change in chords for the second "all that remains" in each verse. Not expected, and very satisfying.

The production makes me think of John Lennon/Imagine, so that's got to be a good thing right?

The ending was a bit abrupt for me, maybe it was the cymbal? If you ended the other instruments just before the word "stops", so that the vocals are on their own, this might help?

Cheers 

Tommy Blixt

• Open Mic
    • https://soundcloud.com/knownasbeppe
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 12:06:12 PM »
Hello!

This is a very good sounding piece of music right here! I do think the vocals sound a little forced, but I think it fits the song. I think it creates a very chill atmosphere and almost makes me wanna go down to the beach.
Your sound you got going on here is like a older version of "Mac DeMarco", which is nice and a headstart for me since I love that guy.

Great song! Will listen alot more to it.

With love

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 09:59:57 PM »
Well I think maybe the vocal style is not adequately sombre for the lyric. I don't know how you normally sing...

It may not be just the vocal style which seems at odds with the lyric - it all seems to be rather bright and jolly despite the leaden pace (which is fitting enough).

The sound is very good. I'm not that sold on the song but that is no doubt a personal taste thing. And maybe I'm just hard to please.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Licia

• Busker
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 10:12:29 PM »
sweet and lovely song,
I prefer the voice of second version
but I don't like the sound of keyboards on refrain, it is buttery... (excuse me)
 ;)