Journey Song

• 16 Replies

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« on: October 27, 2017, 08:57:02 PM »
Hi Everyone,

https://soundcloud.com/my-idiom/journey-song-m-blair-2017

As some of you may know from my post in the bar, I've not been around for a few months.

Not been writing songs or reviewing, largely due to a long bout of Sinusitus which blocked up all me pipes.

The following song I decided I was going to try to get down regardless. The plan was just to have piano and vocals, as I couldn't hear to mix anything more but, as the penicillin has kicked in and my hearing's returning to normal, I decided to have a crack at a second instrument(s).

You might notice a bit of a nasal quality in places as I'm not quiet breathing freely yet but I couldn't wait any longer to get this one done.

Thanks to anyone who listens, any feedback is welcome and I'll get back to doing some reviewing myself  very shortly.

Over and out.

Yodasdad

Journey Song - © M Blair 2017

V1

I’m on a railway
Counting the sleepers to fill my day
walking without destination
God keep the rain away
Grant me the strength to work through my thoughts
help me find beauty in isolation

Bridge

Faces peer out from the window seats
Their eyes are saying come aboard

Chorus

Would you ride with me just leave it all and blindly
follow without knowing if we would return

Would you sit and watch the fields go by and clouds of crimson
as they reclaim the sky from the birds

V2

I’ve started to fade away
Hiding in places where I lose my name
All I feel is hesitation
Struggling to make a change
Stood on the platform and it’s time to Choose
a new life or desolation

Bridge
Opportunity lies down the line
But I can’t reach it without you 

Mid 8
I bought us a ticket
On the morning train right outta here
I’ll be waiting by the track for you

(Chorus Dev)
Should I save a seat
Will I see your face tomorrow
We can take one station at a time

Outro

I’ve stood here a thousand times
Contemplated what I have to lose
I’ve finally realised
Its the journey with you

Gill

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 09:12:07 PM »
I love this. The whole melody of the song is strong and consistent as well as the lyrics and the piano interlude is excellent. I personally think this type of song best matches your voice as it really brings out your tone.  Thumbs up!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 09:28:23 PM »
Aha!

A Yoda song it is and cured you are.  :)

Tis a wonderful and finely proportioned pop song,perhaps a little on the large side,but we aren't sizest here. (much)  :D

The song is a grower,I listened maybe half a dozen times and for me it wasn't one that grabbed me from the off,but took time to work it's magic. I've often found those types of songs have more staying power.

A quality offering,but no less do we expect.  8)

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 08:53:10 PM »
Dude this sounds like it should be in a Rocky film. Y'know Sly Stallone?
Obviously preferrably one where he's working on a railway. But yeah it's got big melodies and emotional strings and it's highly strung yknow, like it could make grown men cry without Sly having to say a word.
Top work, man.

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 05:48:03 PM »
"Would you ride with me just leave it all and blindly
follow without knowing if we would return"

Love this a lot, as well as the piano. Your voice sounds as it was made for this style of music. See you Yodadad.

Sure you will keep in health from now! See you. Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 06:44:39 PM »
Very nice track, lovely piano, and nice bit of emotion in the vocal, I didn't notice how long it is as it kept my interest all the way through. Vocal sounded fine to me, didn't notice any snotty bits! A good track all round.

Mikey

2tuoo

• Open Mic
  • Feelings are for faces and paper
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 06:50:35 PM »
this is how you sing with pipes blocked????

Doesn's sound like it at all, sounds really great and the song itself is great too!
Have a great day!

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 08:17:55 PM »
Hi Yodasdad.

Nice track dude, Great to be back

Lovely piano and vocal track. The vocals sounded fine to me.

Andy

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 08:45:51 PM »
Hi, good to have you back!

I've listened through five or six times, and it is obvious you've poured your heart into this song. I think your voice is sounding wonderful, and as musical as I remember from previous songs of yours.

As far as the song goes, it is not an obvious one that grabs you first time around, but rewards repeated listens, and as Skub said, that normally improves longevity.

Production wise, I just wondered whether, especially when your voice come sing in initially, if it is a tad too loud compared to the piano. You want your voice to have impact, it's the "main event" after all, but it still jumps out a wee bit to me, even after repeated listens.

All the best,
Bill

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 11:04:28 AM »
Hello Michael...great to hear you firing on all cylinders again.

I’m not really qualified to give a medical opinion...but I’d say you could consider your voice officially back to awesome.

The voice is the star and I’d be inclined to agree with Bill that - on first listen - it did jump out at me a little bit, overpowering the piano...but when it sounds that good, it’s almost impossible to suggest turning it down...so I’d just say that I thought the backing could be slightly louder...even just initially.

A lovely song, too. I really liked the line about taking the journey one station at a time...I thought that was a bit of a master stroke.

Fantastic stuff  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 08:14:49 PM »
Fantastic to have you back YD.
You've come back with a belter.
I really like the way you eschew big production on this one.  I bet you were asking yourself "Should I bring the big drums in?" at a few points?  I'm glad you didn't, as the stripped back nature of this is a big part of its poignancy.
I dig the imagery of the people looking out of the railway carriage, that one leapt out at me in particular.
As others have said, absolutely no sign of dodgy sinuses as far as I could here.  Far from it.
It's all too beautiful.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 12:12:17 PM »
Hi,

Firstly, the lyrics are superb and the song is beautifully structured. I like the bare piano and vocal and then the strings come in at just the right time. I can't hear any problem with your voice and it works great right up front of the mix. I would maybe have brought in some percussion and bass in the second half just to drive it along but it works fine as it is.

A great piece of writing.

M

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 03:58:10 PM »
Beautiful piano intro. I would like to hear your vocal eq'd differently, perhaps a little less treble.  The music has great depth and evokes emotion well.  You make good use of strings.  An enjoyable listen.

Well done

Paul

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 03:57:57 PM »
Thanks Fhaos, glad you liked it.

Cheers Skub, I'll settle for a grower, no probs.

Thanks Silver machine, it wouldn't surprise me if there's yet another Rocky film still to come so you never know.

Thanks for listening Mora, lyrics are my weak point so glad you liked them.

Cheers 2tuoo.

Thanks for listening and your input Mikey.

Thanks Andy, if there's no negatives from you then the production must be on the right lines.

You know Bill Saunders, I think you might be right about the volume of the vocal. I did debate this myself through my studio monitors, but when I listened on some other speakers it sounded okay.  Thanks for mentioning it.

Thanks for your comments Paulads, I will probably go back and tweak the vocal volume.

Thanks PaulyX, actually keeping the arrangement slim was quite easy on this one, it was largely my block ears that dictated the direction. I do think that piano and strings are often a winning combination though and can usually stand up on their own.

Thanks for your comments on the lyrics Montydog, they're always the hardest part for me and the element that slows the creation of the song down.

Interesting comment about the EQ Wicked deeds, I'll give that a try, thanks.

Thanks all.

Yodasdad

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 07:51:51 PM »
Hi Yoda,

You have an amazing voice. Stunning vocals as always. I really like the song overall, although it's less anthemic than some of your earlier classics. Like others have stated, more of a slow burn.

I'm afraid I also agree with Bill and others in that the vocals are just a tad overpowering the piano, especially when they first come in. It's a slight jolt. I would either up the piano slightly or lower the vocals, just a touch.

Cheers,

Micky.