konalavadome

From Christmas Eve to New Year's Day

• 15 Replies

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« on: December 10, 2016, 08:39:51 PM »
Hi girls and guys!

With a few days to spare I have finished my entry into the fireplace non-christmas non-competition somethingy.

From Christmas Eve to New Year's Day

I was going for that evasive "dreaming of a white christmas" vibe - so please tell me where exactly on the way there I stumbled, fell into a snowheap and froze to musical death.

Lyrics:
On the first day of snowfall
children whoop with delight
press the nose to the window pane
can we please go outside?

The world is soft and white like cream
thousand stars are twinkling in this glistening winter dream

Going out for a sleigh ride
when the snow is deep enough
and we're building a snow man
with a pot hat and a scarf

The air is biting cold and has that smokey winter smell
all the cheeks are red but from the smiles I can tell

This is the best time of the year
when all my family is near
celebrating always eating while we play
from Christmas Eve till New Year's day

Chocolate, punch and cookies
while we're talking all day long
children play their recorders
and we sing all our favourite songs

When it's getting dark we light the candles on the tree
when we'll remember 2016 I hope this is what we'll see

This is the best time of the year
when all my family is near
celebrating always eating while we play
from Christmas Eve till New Year's day

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 11:46:16 PM »
Hi Wolfi. I always look forward to your songs as you have such an individual style. You have nailed the genre on the head. This is cheesy cheesy Xmas music with a fondue dip and grated parmesan on top  :D Seriously though, this is a well thought out song with interesting lyrics and what I love about your songs is that you can always remember them and sing along afterwards. Cheers John

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 01:07:57 AM »
Hi Wolfi

Great song - fits the brief perfectly.
It's got a real innocent feel to it and a catchy chorus.  ;D
I'm still humming it.

Nice work!
Paul

Post edit: I added it to the fireplace video  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 03:48:37 AM by Paulski »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 01:10:30 AM »
Hi Wolfi,

Nice song. I like it quite a bit and am thinking I might like to add it to my repertoire. I'll have to listen a few more times and see if I can learn it. :)

I have no real nits, but I wonder about one spot a little--where you say "2016" referring to the year having gone by. This narrows down the song so it's relevant only for this year. Of course, next year you could sing "twenty-seventeen", etc. But what if someone wanted to record it? If I wanted to record it, I might want to say "the year gone by" instead of "twenty-sixteen". What do you think?

It's such a nice "homey" song with all the references to children and the friends and family activities during the Christmas season. It's a great addition to the Fabulous Forum Holiday Showcase.

Vicki

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 03:10:33 AM »
Hey there Wolfini.....
What a beautiful upbeat tune....just right for Christmas (applaud, applaud  ;D )
I love Christmas songs.......and I love this one  ;D
Take care....and thanks for the lift!
                                                            -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 05:15:15 PM »
First time I've heard your voice - distinctive and very listenable. I don't like many Christmas songs, but I have to say you've done what I am sure you set out to do - write a catchy festive tune - two listens through and it's stuck right there in my head! Nice overall sound to the production too.

Happy Christmas to you and yours!  :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 05:22:41 PM »
excellent stuff, Wolfi  :)

lovely sounds here and a great seasonal feel to it

fits the bill perfectly - well done!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 06:45:19 PM »
Hey Wolfi

Delightful festive entry for the holiday showcase! I had a smile on my face straight away; playful and great imagery seeping with nostalgia!

I like what you did with the 2-liners working as your chorus. The structure and strong melody lets you get away without having the 'traditional' chorus imo.

I agree with Vicki on the 2016 line, festive songs can hold their relevance a lot better than most and it would be a shame date it - unless you specifically want to remember this year when you hear the song.

All the best,
Scott.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 08:51:37 PM »
Hey Wolfini.

A lovely warm recording,perfect for winter days.

I'd much rather hear this in a shop,rather than the tired old trot outs.

A cheerful song with a characterful delivery.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 06:34:24 AM »
Hey Wolfini - really nice work here. Takes all the Christmas elements and makes a great Christmas pudding.

It seems a bit of a departure for you - there's lot of "telling not showing" in the lyrics but I think that's you deliberately working through the Christmas spirit checklist. Which you do in a very skilful, smooth and comforting way.

For the mix I missed a little top end - I can hear the bells etc. but I thought perhaps could use a little more something up there perhaps in the percussion? Could just be the speakers I have though as noone else has said anything about that!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 11:20:34 AM »
Hi, you need a jumper with Christmas baubles on it to sing this one! Classic sing around the tree Christmas song. Nicely constructed and fits the genre. I agree with others about 2016 in the lyric!
Cheers
Jamie

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 11:02:01 PM »
oh wow this is so stuffed with snow & schmaltz & every Christmas cliché going... but also oodles of melody so its real festive hit material!
my hubbie has a collection of cheesy Christmas hits cds which I always try to hide but he somehow always manages to find & this belongs on everyone of them! ;D
I realy like your voice on this.. it just sounds so full of alpine vowels & stollen & leberkuchen & things ,I want to sing & munch along!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 04:36:36 PM »
Thanks a lot for those raving reviews!  ;D

@pompeyjazz: Thanks John, glad to hear I got the cheesiness level just right, and it's even sticky cheese that will remain in your head.

@Paulski: I am looking forward to watch the full video! Happy I can be part of it.

@CaliaMoko: Wow, I am honoured. The chords are quite simple:

Verse:
E A (D A) E
E A (D A) E
A A E E
A A B7 B7

Chorus:
F#m B7 E E7
F#m B7 E E7
A B7 E C#m
F#m B7 E E

About  the 2016 reference: I know what you mean and I thought about it. But it came from the feeling that 2016 was such a bad year in a lot of ways, that I would only want to remember a nice (hopefully..) Christmas. That might not be true for other years (again: hopefully... ;-) )

@Ironknee: Upbeat... ok, I am happy with that. :)

@Bill Saunders: I think that is the first time someone called my voice "listenable" - thanks for that! So I guess the coaching has helped some. At least I did not get any Dylan comparisons this time. Phew.

@Paulads: Thanks a lot!

@Scottlevi: See above about 2016... but I guess it can easily be replaced in future years. Actually I thought the chorus was quite traditional, what did you feel was different about it? Thanks for the nice words anyway!

@skub: Hey, great idea. Perhaps I should try to get into the shop- and elevator music branch. ;-) Thanks for listening and commenting!

@adamfarr: I know what you mean about the showing - telling... and yes, avoiding cliches was not my main objective here. ;-) I think I generally tend to keep the high end low, because I don't like harshness. Thanks a lot for your observations!

@Jamie: Hm, I think I have a pullover with a tree and a reindeer lying around somewhere... I will remember that if I make a video.  ;D

@Tinam: So, have you been to the alps since you know those vowels, stollen and lebkuchen? ;-) (Leberkuchen would be liver bread... but I guess you meant ginger bread?  :D ) Actually I was trying to mimic an American christmas sound, but I guess the accent will come through... next time I will do spanish like feliz navidad!

Thanks again everyone, Bye Wolfi
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 08:36:52 AM by Wolfini »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 10:55:33 PM »
??? Never heard of an H chord before, so I looked it up. Now I know what it is. How curious! Thanks for making me stretch!

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 08:36:02 AM »
Oh sorry, my bad. I'll change it. ;)