Eurovision - Good Viewing for a Songwriter?

• 19 Replies

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 09:23:01 AM »
My favourite Eurovision song of all time is the UK's second-placed entry in 1977, Rock Bottom by Lynsey de Paul and Mike Moran.  I still sing it to myself when I'm feeling down and it always brings a smile to my lips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcs3JG90nZc

But I have to say that Marie Myriam's "L'Oiseau et L'Enfant" was a most deserving winner that year.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 09:26:12 AM by GuyBarry »

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 09:28:15 AM »
I know I'm being harsh when I slate the entire 4 decades of song submissions

The contest has been running since 1956.  Maybe you missed the good years  :)

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 09:41:01 AM »
Just a quick question.  I have never listened to the contest.  My sole recollection of it was after the first one when Mocedades won with a song called "Eres Tu" (which I loved.)  Elton John wrote and performed a very forgettable song for Britain.

Elton John has never performed in the contest.  The UK's entry in 1973 (when "Eres Tu" came second) was Cliff Richard's "Power to All Our Friends", which came third.  I haven't forgotten that one! 

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 05:42:44 PM »
They've been playing that Heroes song (last year's winner I think?) a lot on the radio recently... I actually quite like it. And a couple of years ago there was a winner with quite a lot of fiddle playing which I also liked. I guess it gets interesting when there are different styles from different countries and not everyone doing the same...

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2016, 06:42:45 PM »
No! It isn't good viewing for songwriters. There's no real cultural diversity in it anymore and more importantly it is no longer about the songs so what ever is the point of it? Why do we even bother humiliating a couple of hopefuls by entering them? And besides, it's not even funny now poor ol' Terry has gone.

When I was 12 I wanted beyond all things to write a Eurovision winning song. It seemed the pinnacle of success for a songwriter to me and I think that for a long time it was a proud thing to be the winner but now it means nothing in terms of quality song writing and everything in terms of political popularity. I'm glad we're having a referendum. Ditch membership of the Euro-vision .... eh? what's that? referendum nothing to do with Eurovision? so, if we leave the EU we're STILL in Eurovision? .... aw that sucks!

edit .... ignore that ... I didn't take my tablets yesterday!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 05:01:36 PM by ShinyThang »
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans