Things I have Learnt

• 0 Replies

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« on: Yesterday at 03:21:50 PM »
Hi all.

As this is actually a songwriter forum, I thought I'd write an article on things I have learnt in the last three years. This is a songwriter forum, but just recently it seems to be just a vehicle for members to post their songs for feedback.

Anyway....

I try to apply these rules to me and my processes, and I'm sure they will not work for everyone.

In no particular order.

Listen to commercial tracks for reference. Successful music is so for a reason. They have been written and produced by professionals so they should always be the benchmark of what to aim for. Pick a song which is similar in style and production to what you are working on and compare the difference. How does the intro work? How long does it take to get to the hook? Why does it appeal to the listener?

Edit your songs. Never go with your first draft and don't rush. Some songs can take months or years to develop. Don't be scared of cutting sections down or even removing them completely. Is there a lyric which doesn't work? Maybe use www.rhymezone.com for alternatives.

If you cannot sing then get someone else to record vocals for you. Seriously, if you have a good song but can't sing then it will put people off and they will not give your song the chance it deserves. There are plenty of great singers on Fiverr who would charge around £20 - £30 for a great vocal track.

Have a reason for the listener to come back. So many songs on here are great, but lack that something special which you often hear on commercial releases. Examples being verse, bridge.... and then back to a verse and bridge to finish. To me, many of the songs need to go somewhere else but they don't. That extra push to get it over the line could make so much difference so don't be lazy songwriters!! :)

Dynamics. Songs need dynamics and ear candy to keep the listener engaged. Simple tricks like open hi hats on beat 4, added percussion in chorus sections, backing vocals etc all add dynamics. In some ways, good dynamics can make an average song sound interesting.

Mixing. If you cannot mix then pay someone else to. A flat mix can ruin a good song. If your song is good then it deserves to have a good mix.

And finally, I'd just say work hard and strive for perfection. Good songs often require hard work, lots of time and meticulous attention to detail before they can be classed as good.

Whilst songwriting is an art form, its also about the work you put into it.

Anyway, just some random thoughts from me and I accept that not everyone will agree, but that's ok :)

Thanks for reading.