konalavadome

tempting fate

• 14 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: August 31, 2013, 12:21:59 PM »
I wonder, are any forum writers perhaps a little apprehensive at times about what they decide to write about? I write so much about my personal experiences and also my intuition too.  Clearly, I see that some of my worst fears, once expressed in the songs that I have written eventually come true - almost like a self fulfilling prophecy (maybe I should write a song about winning the lottery :-)  A strange topic perhaps but I'd be interested to hear your opinions!

Paul

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 01:30:18 PM »
I never write about personal matters or memories...

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 01:38:24 PM »
I think that whether you mean to or not, something from the sub conscious will always break through.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 01:42:06 PM »
I think that whether you mean to or not, something from the sub conscious will always break through.

Really..maybe i should see a shrink then :)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
And me!

;D

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 05:35:27 PM »
I always put a piece of me into what I write but that doesn't mean I always write about personal experiences :)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

BooBoo

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 08:51:28 PM »
I'll either write a song that's completely how I feel or has nothing to do with. There's no imbertween really for me.
VOTE FOR JUNE LOTM!!!!!!!

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 09:22:54 PM »
I don't mean you always write about yourself. I do think though, that its inescapable that some of your own personal psyche won't creep in somehow.

Dogmax

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
I wonder, are any forum writers perhaps a little apprehensive at times about what they decide to write about? I write so much about my personal experiences and also my intuition too.  Clearly, I see that some of my worst fears, once expressed in the songs that I have written eventually come true - almost like a self fulfilling prophecy (maybe I should write a song about winning the lottery :-)  A strange topic perhaps but I'd be interested to hear your opinions!

Paul

Well Paul

I think i know exactly what you're saying because i too have gone through this and i hope you don't mind me asking but have you ever had a dramatic experience in your life that made you think of life differently, if you don't want to answer that okay but as i said I think i know exactly what you're saying, interesting post Paul.

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 02:44:11 AM »
Interesting   :D 

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 08:03:47 AM »
Hi Dogmax,

The answer to your question is yes!  I'd say that many experiences have altered the way that I now view life.  I've always been a fairly cautious man and think most things through carefully but I know that some things are simply out of my control, like there's a bigger plan at work. All part of the rich tapestry of life I suppose! I don't wish to be too specific but I note that writing about personal events in my life might give those thoughts a certain energy.  Perhaps I've simply intuitively perceived/understood a problem, written about it and then of course, events occur that we're always bound to.  Either way, it now makes me a little cautious about some of the lyrics that I write as I don't wish to tempt fate.

Thanks Dogmax, I'm pleased that I'm not the only one who thinks along those lines!

Kafla

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 09:22:52 AM »
I do this all the time Paul - I am quite superstitious about writing specifically about certain events or themes is I definitely adapt the song

I do also think most songwriters work on a subconscious level - there are songs you can write that are very literal - but most songs are metaphorical

Great post!

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 03:32:12 PM »
Joni Mitchell on her seminal Album, "Blue":

"At that period of my life, I had no personal defences. I felt like a cellophane wrapper on a pack of cigarettes. I felt like I had absolutely no secrets from the world and I couldn't pretend in my life to be strong."

And there was her finest, most wonderful work (in my view)

I used to censor. More and more I just say exactly what I want. Only a few will delve deep enough to understand. And those that do will hopefully appreciate the openness. Art is a refelction of art and identity. Hide ye not.
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 04:37:24 PM »
I write both non and personal, sometimes I may be more or less explicit or indeed write in first of third tense.
I find my life and those around me a good source of inspiration and on occasions cathartic. And like James says if you don't take some risks you never know what you could achieve..

BTW whats with this minimal Saeed? I mean I'm not complaining ;D ;D

:)
Neil   
songwriter of no repute..

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 08:27:52 AM »

"At that period of my life, I had no personal defences. I felt like a cellophane wrapper on a pack of cigarettes. I felt like I had absolutely no secrets from the world and I couldn't pretend in my life to be strong."

I can relate to that James!