konalavadome

Taylor Swift inspired by Right Said Fred????

• 14 Replies

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« on: August 25, 2017, 01:02:45 PM »
It seems so as she's given them a writing credit on her latest song that seemingly interpolates the melody from their hit 'I'm too sexy'....

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/taylor-swift-gives-unlikely-song-credit-to-right-said-fred/ar-AAqGhUw?li=BBoPJKU&ocid=mailsignout

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 04:09:39 PM »
you mean she's nicked it and to avoid court action she's admitting it, I think this is more likely..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 09:22:53 PM »
I've listened to the track in question a few times now and I have to say it doesn't really do it for me - which is besides the point really as it'll no doubt make millions regardless of what I think. There are elements of mass appeal there and in places it is quite hooky and some clever lyrics I guess, but it doesn't really feel like a TS song at all. Interestingly, from what I can gather, this one wasn't produced by Max Martin so that might explain it a little...

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 07:47:08 PM »
Looks like the song is coining in the £4 and clocking up views, likes and hits either way...

http://www.elle.com/culture/music/news/a47658/look-what-you-made-me-do-has-already-broken-vevo-and-spotify-records/?src=socialflowTW

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 09:42:38 PM »
I really like it  :-[

The video is also really good - especially at the end where she ridicules herself! Very clever and funny
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 10:23:16 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I think it's very well produced, has all the traits of a modern pop hit an it's certainly not the worst thing I've heard in the charts this summer but it just doesn't float my boat the way her more recent pop songs have. I find the fact that she speaks the chorus hook more than sings it an interesting departure from her normal 'big' chorus power vocal performances.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 12:37:41 PM »
Only listened to half of it..thought it was junk...music for 12 year olds with Facebook issues...it's pointless saying how great this type of song is just because it well produced etc...thats surely a given, considering who she has become and who backs her. The pop industry is all about itself , free to manufacturer rubbish and serve it to the kids .

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 07:05:28 PM »
I'm not sure I'd agree with your summation of the song as junk - it's just not in line with my own personal musical preferences and evidently it's not in line with yours either. IMHO you're being (deliberately?) a bit too harsh on TS - yes she might have written this specifically to have mass appeal but I think there's a level of talent in doing that too, and clearly only certain people have it. I don't necessarily think it is any less of a feat to write clever conversational lyrics that appeal to more people than it is to write more abstract 'high brow' lyrics that appeal to musos or more niche tastes. If was easy to write a song with mass appeal (regardless of whether you liked it or if it was in line with your own tastes) that broke several music records and coined in the £$ then surely everyone would be doing it - even musos if only as a way in to 'the industry'....

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 12:55:54 PM »
You think she wrote this do you? shes a better songwriter than this , not brilliant, but competent .Why do you labour under the illusion that these 'top' artists come up with all this music ? the labels have got their 'names' and a willing (young/naive) public that  laps it all up , and with millions to spend on studio's , session musicians,songwriters.topliners ,beatmakers  , video directors etc..there's a more or less concrete system in place that ensures hit songs..

Surely by now we all understand this..! it's not an open market place anymore, it never really was, but the strangle hold is now tight and repressive .And your point about its not easy to write a song with mass appeal/everyone would be doing it..is true..well the first half is ,if we're talking about proper songs, not studio concoctions...please don't quote sales and industry accolades , means very little in practise .

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 06:34:53 PM »
I think TS wrote it because, with the exception of the 3 guys from Right Said Fred already mentioned, she's one of only 2 co-writers listed - the other being Jack A (exact surname escapes me at present!) the guy from Bleachers and FUN. Do you think she didn't write it or at least co-write?

I want to avoid going back over well trodden ground that we've discussed in exchanges before. I don't dispute that the industry likes a select group of 'names' or that they've got almost infinite resources at their disposal compared to the average bedroom producer, aspiring artist and budding songwriter. It's obvious if you look at the writers credits on pop hits that the same names keep coming up - Drake, Ed Sheeran, Charli XCX, Bonnie McKee, Bruno Mars, Julia Michaels, Dr Luke, Max Martin, Diplo, Major Lazer, Pharell, Ryan Tedder to name a few. In fairness though any TS song writer list hardly reads like a Beyonce, Riri, or Bieber number where the number of writers nearly requires a very skilled genealogist to keep on top of it. We've reached a point now where hits aren't even written by a team anymore they're actually written by TEAMS in some cases; ie teams writing in different rooms coming up with hooks, toplines etc and where the best of what is offered is put together and polished into a song.

The reason the industry heads stick to these 'names' is pretty obvious; they're a proven quantity and have a clear ability to deliver the necessary end product time after time after time,. It's hardly rocket science and I don't think the music industry is  much different to any other in that it is driven by the goal of making maximum profit. Of course, in order to become one of these 'names' writers, whether those like some of the above who write for themselves and others or writers who are lesser known and write for established artists instead, have to show their worth - ie that they've the level of talent to write a hit with mass appeal. Yes the industry tends to coalesce around certain 'names' but if someone from outside that circle presents the chance for them to profit by offering them a potential hit they'll take it - why wouldn't they if it's gonna make money for them? Yes, it's hard to get into that position but not impossible -not impossible by any stretch. If you network with and/or collab with the RIGHT people your songs can reach ears you wouldn't think they can - then of course those ears want to hear more to weigh up your credentials further.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 10:17:08 AM »
Taylor Swift writes a song about her feud with Kanye West and blames him for what? She never really says. Why blame West something she's done? I've no idea and don't really care.

I tend to agree with STC. Its basically Taylor Swift and some well recorded beats, its not something I'd go out of my way to listen to other then as part of the debate on this forum.

Keith

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 05:54:03 PM »
I think I might be changing my mind on this one... the more I hear it the more it grows on me. Not sure if it's the pretty awesome video that's doing that for/to me rather than song itself per se...

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 08:22:36 PM »
Not sure if it's the pretty awesome video that's doing that for/to me rather than song itself per se...

Nowadays ate they not one and the same!?!?!?

I didn't really "get" Adele's song SKYFALL - that is until I saw it over the Bond visuals and then it all made sense and I now love the song
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 09:49:30 PM »
I think I might be changing my mind on this one... the more I hear it the more it grows on me. Not sure if it's the pretty awesome video that's doing that for/to me rather than song itself per se...

I checked it out again after your change of heart. It still doesn't do very much for me.

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 10:55:33 PM »
I thought I liked it when I listened to it with the video. I just listened to it again separately and now I KNOW I like it. Can't knock that production and a couple of good hooks (even if one is nicked)
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle