Things to consider when offering critique

• 7 Replies

Gwyneth Rose

• Solo Gig
« on: April 09, 2014, 11:36:34 AM »
Saw these "Pearls" on the web and thought I'd share them you. Absolutely Brilliant!!! ;D ;D ;D
"
1.Please remember your comments ARE TRYING TO HELP THE WRITER.
2.In order for your comments to help they must be heard. The onus is on you not to inflame the situation, particularly for inexperienced or under-confident writers who are not experienced with the critique process.
3.Critique is a discussion. It is not an argument, there are no winners and losers, there is only "trying to improve the song". Don't pronounce your opinion believing it is absolutely right. You are not a god of song writing or recording.
4.Be honest, but be respectful of the member's critique preferences. If they don't want a blunt thorough comment don't post it. If you have comments and suggestions, ASK the member if you can post your comments and suggestions.
5.Every writer here has passed or still has to pass the point where they realise that they are not as amazing a writer as they think they are. It can be uncomfortable and confidence sapping. Please remember the writer you are dealing with may not have had that epiphany yet. It is not up to you to make them confront that moment of self awareness. That happens in it's own time.
6.Every writer here started with a vague idea of what writing songs is about. Be aware that educating a writer takes time and effort. Don't try to achieve it all in one topic.
7.Just because you or they are experienced, doesn't make you or them right. Just because you or they may be inexperienced doesn't make you or them wrong.
8.Remember: Critique is not just about pointing out what is wrong, it is also for pointing out what is right!
9.Critique is also for examining how something works or doesn't work. It is fundamentally for learning for all involved.
10.Don't use inflammatory language. Try and stay aware that receiving critique, especially for those who are inexperienced, can be taken personally. Try to be diplomatic but truthful.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it (and we hope you do) is to "let them hear your message". ie Don't force them to hear by beating them over the head with your viewpoint. Remember, it is a discussion, not a platform to demonstrate your skills and knowledge. While it is good for you to analyse songs thoroughly, it may not be good for the writer whose work you are reading or listening to, to hear it all!"

Poet and Lyricist always looking to collaborate. Write mostly out the box lyrics in most genres.
Amateur model, painter, love ceramics and sculpture. Make teddy bears, do belly dancing and love gardening especially roses

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 01:03:05 PM »
This is really good

Where did it come from?

I would be keen to use this as the "backbone" of a "how to critique a song" guide that I think would be useful to give to forum members - eg in a welcome email and as part of the "guidelines"

It would be great to get everyone's input and then assemble the "definitive guide" on how to POST a song for review (ie what details to include to get the most valuable feedback) and a guide on HOW to approach reviewing a song

I think this would be useful for all of us - especially for the newbies
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 01:04:41 PM »
The problem I'm finding at the moment is I'll spend a good 15+ minutes critiquing someone's song, for my advice to be completely ignored OR all the comments will be so positive that my critique looks like I'm trying to purposely bring someone down.
The thing is, EVERYTHING has potential to be improved and people wouldn't give you advice if they didn't believe it would make your song better, so although yes it's down to opinion, it's beneficial to listen to that opinion because it could really improve your song.
So my I think you should add: Really LISTEN to the comments you're receiving, to that list.
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Stylus

• Stadium Tour
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DJRAJBAROT
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 01:10:17 PM »
Nice one!  Gwyn    I think  each person  should be sent this in ' Inbox'   ;D ;D ;D ;D

there are far 'too  many  experts  &  many trying to  prove  or estabhlish  that they are ahead of the game....so  reverse  &  re write  'feedback' left by others  overiding any comments they feel are negative.... I've seen every trick in the book  & its hilarious......because  boy do they not like it..
 if someone leaves them negative feedback.
             All of a sudden   I have noticed  an upcrease  in  harder comments left  that are quite unnecessary  & undeserved.  the truth of the matter  is evident  in the  stuff,material  that they upload or share............You get all sorts  the decent,honest  & fair   & then you get  the ones that couldnt  comment accurately  even if they tried  because they  dont have a clue  or dont understand
music creation.   I read  so many  comments   most are  follow on's  the perpetrator   reads a comment   &  writes that down ;D ;D ;D    its that thing about  coming over all  knowledgeable & important......which quite backfires in most cases....
                People should  Hear  the song  & comment  on its merit  &  in their way......

Bladdee   Hilarious            some  people  ehhhhhh?   STYLUS :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 02:50:46 PM »
I have to be honest STYLUS and say that I do not think this is generally the case in the review forums  ??? (I am only referring to the finished songs forum so do not know if you are referring to a different area of the forum)

This often gets mentioned but I genuinely do not see it - apart from the occasional "flare ups" but I think there are (thankfully) rare

I would love to see specific examples so that I can understand the types of posts you are referring to so I can help to moderate better
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Gwyneth Rose

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 04:16:33 PM »
This is really good

Where did it come from?

I would be keen to use this as the "backbone" of a "how to critique a song" guide that I think would be useful to give to forum members - eg in a welcome email and as part of the "guidelines"

It would be great to get everyone's input and then assemble the "definitive guide" on how to POST a song for review (ie what details to include to get the most valuable feedback) and a guide on HOW to approach reviewing a song

I think this would be useful for all of us - especially for the newbies

Hi Boydie

Too cool!!! ;D I sent you a PM giving you the link.

Cheers
Gwyneth
Poet and Lyricist always looking to collaborate. Write mostly out the box lyrics in most genres.
Amateur model, painter, love ceramics and sculpture. Make teddy bears, do belly dancing and love gardening especially roses

Stylus

• Stadium Tour
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DJRAJBAROT
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 06:40:04 PM »
Hi Boydie
               yes generally the forum & its members are good & my observations are possibly over time.I just feel that  people have strange ways of being who they are & well  I know  we cant change the world & all in it.... but wish some people would  be a bit more grounded &  not  carry on like they are
Quincey jones or George Martin......... I'll inbox you  as  I am  building something for my neighbour &
have come in for a cuppa &  snack.

Cheerzzzzzzzz   Stylus :)

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 04:03:38 AM »
I would add one thing to that list.... and I think it's probably the most important thing. 

Do not... DO NOT... Do not say something you don't genuinely feel.  If you have to lie to be "nice" you are being disrespectful and counterproductive. 

Better to say nothing than to flatter. 

When I receive criticism... I have to work hard to achieve it.... but I try very hard to value honesty over any other factor in the criticism.  No honest criticism can hurt me, even if it's harsh. 

Non-genuine "nice" comments CAN hurt me.  They can lead me to believe that what isn't good enough needs no improvement. 

It's very difficult to welcome honest disagreement, particularly when the song is one of your "babies." 

But honesty trumps everything else.  If you have to be so careful not to hurt the feelings of the witer, just don't review the song.  It's like the Hippocratic oath.  FIRST - DO NO HARM. 

One more time.... don't say anything you don't genuinely feel and think.  It causes harm.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.