Never Too Late

• 8 Replies

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« on: April 03, 2016, 04:46:14 PM »
I think this song has real potential but I don't like any of the versions I have come up with. I am just not sure what to do with it.

I know the middle 8 needs something else, I would just like feedback on the whole feel of the song. My intention is to try to licence it to someone else as a commercial tune...thanks in advance.

https://soundcloud.com/martynstanding/never-too-late/s-etsZl

Lyrics:

Gonna take a day to make a decision
Gonna take a while to nail it down
Cannot rush this indecision
Ill be lookin up from under the ground

And all it means is

Its never too late to start again
Thats what the shindig says
Coming from the winner of a sweepstake
You cant help but feel a little irate
Never too late to start again
Catchin this feeling everyday

Winding up a windmill of invention
Takes the weight of falling down
Simple mind and a stronger vision
Knockin back the gamblers crown

Its never too late to start again
Coming from the winner of a sweepstake
You cant help but feel a little irate
Never too late to start again
Always and always feeling this way

If you can find Alexander in town
Hes in the club where they sell surround sound
All of his friends cant feel anymore
Coz theyve got tomorrow knocking
on their door

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 04:22:25 PM »
Really good song this...its well produced, has a catchy hook and seems to improve with each listen. The key change is great ... gives the song a timely lift... I possibly prefer it in that key, it brings more out of your vocal. Could you start on the higher key and step up from that? I'm curious as to how that would sound.   

When you're finished and make it public I'll add to my playlist.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 05:59:09 PM »
Thats good feedback and interesting. I personally think it is lacking something but Im not sure what it is...maybe its just standard songwriter insecurity.

thathairybloke

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 06:34:52 PM »
First thing I notice on headphones is - great use of stereo!

And really good production generally actually. Very clean.

The lyrics seem strong. 

There are some notes you sing flat, but I am reasonably sure that those are flat with absolute deliberateness (to darken the mood / knock it "off base"). They certainly have that effect, and sound "right", in the context of the rest of the song.

It's nice to hear the word "shindig" in a song! It's underused, in this day and age.

It's hard to know what I'd recommend, really, if anything. I'm not an expert myself by an extremely long way, so I'm not sure it's my place to offer up suggestions either!

Great song though. I like it!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 11:06:11 PM »
I'm not the one to say what it needs; I'm too much a beginner myself. But I know I like this song. The only thing I can think of, and this may or may not be an improvement, is to do the middle eight just as you did except for the last four words...maybe draw them out and raise the pitch and the volume on each one to build it up to the last word. Not quite up to a scream, but kind of loud by the time you get to the word "door". ??

Not sure, but it's an idea.

Vicki

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 07:04:16 AM »
Maybe what is lacking is a bit of beefing up production/arrangement-wise outside of the main hook - or a bit more on the vocal-side... doubling up, effects, backing vocals. 1.35 - 2.15 needs an injecton of something. Other people on the forum will advise you better on production/arrangement.

...I've woken up with the hook to this song playing in my head - the most important part works.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 09:11:50 AM »
Maybe what is lacking is a bit of beefing up production/arrangement-wise outside of the main hook - or a bit more on the vocal-side... doubling up, effects, backing vocals. 1.35 - 2.15 needs an injecton of something. Other people on the forum will advise you better on production/arrangement.

...I've woken up with the hook to this song playing in my head - the most important part works.

Well, that last bit is the best bit of news.

Good tips on the production, maybe as a concept it works and it just needs a bit of variety to help it move along. I´m still not sure about the instrumental section after the middle 8 but I can work on that.

Thank to everyone else for your comments. Vicki - I am working on what you suggested to see if I can make it fit, maybe it needs taking up a key and a bit more beef behind the vocal in general.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 09:49:46 AM »
Hi - apologies for the bump.

I am trying to get the middle 8 right for this song. I have put it here (only 25 seconds of it): https://soundcloud.com/martynstanding/middle-8/s-g3niw

I want to know peoples opinion on whether the main piano melody goes over the backing. The plan is this melody will be replaced by a vocal. The theory is correct...but, well you know.

The chord sequence is Am, Emajor, Gmajor, Dmajor.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 02:47:21 PM »
It works for me. Sounds kind of familiar, don't know why though.