Inertia

• 25 Replies

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« on: August 27, 2014, 08:17:12 PM »
Hi everyone.

Been a bit of a crazy year but we've started getting some new tunes together. A slightly different sound - the influence is fairly obvious. Probably a world apart from what is played on the radio these days, but who cares?
Feedback of any kind is appreciated. We are just trying to fuse the different types of music we like - 80s, rock, synthy, female vocals, etc.

Thanks for listening.

Cheers,

Digger and Katja

https://www.facebook.com/thecomfortablystrange/posts/268660530000337

Inertia

Outside the silent
We move around
Like we're not there
Enjoy your island
Don't count our lives
Go get your share

Chorus:
I'm on the wrong side
So you say
Saw a sticker on a car said
Jesus saves you
Well i waited and he
Piled his lies up
I'm crucified
Took a nail from you

And so the violence
Kicks in the good
Side of my brain
And you are righteous
You raise your hand
And cast the blame

Chorus:

Bridge:
Preach away when the camera's on you
Look away when the eye is turned
Wash your hands of all the bloodshed
Street walk let the truth immerse ya
Underclass freefall inertia

Chorus:

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:51:38 PM »

hey dgger72

is this your band or did you get this done by the pro's

I  LOVED  THIS  SO  MUCH JUST  EVERY  BIT 

NUFF SAID,  BRILLANT

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 12:16:25 AM »
Good song! Really good sound and production here - loved the drums, synths the guitar and vocals. Sounded a bit like Blondie to me - I guess because of the vibe and female vocal. The lyrics seemed a bit cryptic but maybe that's what you were aiming for. My only thought for improving was to maybe put some male harmonies in near the end, and maybe increase the range of the melody line somewhere (the bridge?) - as it seems to be centered around a 5 note span throughout.
Nice track!
Paul

marndin

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 09:16:27 AM »
Nice song!

The mix is spot on as far as I'm concerned and the vocal performance is strong as well.

For me personally, I felt that there could have been more movement in the melody. This would increase the appeal factor and make it a bit more radio friendly.

Overall though... Great job.

Martin
"The universe is not only stranger than we think... It's stranger than we CAN think" Albert Einstein.

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 11:04:58 AM »
Wow - i think it sounds kinda "modern" - vintage "modern" - very very cool stuff, man.

love love thes muted guitars and this super simple other guitar - does it play just one note throughout? it s fantastic.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 11:31:32 AM »
Hi Digger, nice production on this sounds really professional (as usual!). Great vox from Katja. Simple song idea ruthlessly executed and with panache. Nice synth sounds.
Nice one guys!
Cheers
Jamie

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 01:52:24 PM »
Hi Digger and Katja,

the introduction reminded me of Jungle Rock, followed by a bit of Kraftwork and OMD, add in a touch of Gary Numan  and I was back in the 1970s and 80s.

I thought the melody complimented the words, a feeling of hopeless inertia in a sea of misery. Bliss.

Looking forward to hearing your next song.

Keith

tokenangmoh

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 02:09:18 PM »
Hi guys,

As Butcher said, this does sound modern vintage. Damn I need to learn synthesis!

Great sound with terrific use of effects. Everything has its place and nothing goes too far. The sense of bubbling restraint is extremely well judged. I get what Paul's saying about increasing the span of the melody, but personally I like the tension created by the song never quite blowing up.

I think the lyrics are on the right side of word salad. They don't necessarily mean much when put together, but they're open and suggestive and create a good sound and a wash of mood. Importantly, I don't get the feeling there's a deliberately obscured meaning I'm missing, which is what pisses me off about lots of lyrics that think they're deep.

Great job!

Matt

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I like the idea of Modern Vintage - certainly more so than "vintage modern" music.

There's no deep meaning behind the lyrics - it's just a song about being part of the so-called "underclass" in society; outsiders, no voice, largely ignored until there is an act of violence, at which time politicians preach to the cameras about solving the issues. But, when the camera is off, little or nothing is done, and the "underclass" are left trapped in this inertia, free falling.
In this case the character tries "faith" as a means of escape, but it is fruitless - it just hammers home another nail.

It's not quite one note, but it's not many more. :) I was trying to use the guitar as a percussive thing. Tokenangmoh is right on the money with what we wanted to try and do - create a simmering tension - that sense of inertia - or a "sea of misery," to quote Keith.

Thanks again.

Digger and Katja

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 06:47:53 PM »
Phenomenal sound you got here.
Yeah, I think it works bloody well structurally and as has been said, the lyric works just fine here. Freefall inertia just IS a great hook.

The melody is right for this song I think. Adds to the feel that it doesn't go all over the place.

Those loud guitar chords are great!

Good stuff!

Blew my head off. Seemed VERY loud after the last few things I'd been listening to!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 07:14:59 PM »
I read the lyrics and thought this is going to be good although I don't listen to this genre much. For me, the lyrics alone are good enough to warrant a positive reaction from me. It certainly fits into the genre/sound that you're trying to (re)create - female vocals are very retro sounding (and excellent), keyboards reminded me of OMD or even Kraftwerk  rather than early Joy Division which I think was reinforced by the drum sound that you've used.

The atmosphere is spot on for the subject matter - creates an air of tension and uncertainty but manager to be beautiful at the same time - quite a feat.

Overall, I thought this was excellent and took me back to the 80's when I was a student. Evocative and brilliantly realised.

M

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 06:15:49 PM »
Hi Cramer/Montydog,

You can blame Katja for the volume - she has me messing with the limiter trying to get it CD loud. I did check it with the dynamic range meter thing though and it's still a reasonable 8 or 9.

OMD and Kraftwerk are fine by me. Indeed, we are working on a cover of The Model. I know we can't post it here, but some of you may stumble across it at some point.

The big highlight is that we've done something Montydog likes!!!!! Normal service will be resumed with the next song. ;D Seriously, we do appreciate your feedback as i know we're not always an easy listen.

Cheers,

Digger

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 07:59:11 AM »
You've definitely got an 80s vibe going.

Really liked this. Catchy chorus and nice production space too.

I'd like some more build maybe towards the end but it sounds great.

You may get a bit of resistance pitching it for film/TV with the religious connotations.

Depends what you're going for.

Alan.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 05:32:30 PM »
excellent track

good pagan vocal from katja.. i say that cos i get a sense of temple and amesbury stonehenge druids and smoke and i mean that in the best way..
well played and produced , like the middle section works well without slowing the momentum
simple..sparse or gives that impression anyway tho i suspect theres all sorts going on to get to sparse !

fine work
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 09:32:54 PM »
Ah yes! You two are quite a formidable pair.

personally I like the tension created by the song never quite blowing up

+1 to that! The constrained melody along with the repetitive shapes in the synths are like an unrelenting dystopia.

Katja sounds amazing.

Loved it!