Developing as a writer

• 1 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: September 09, 2013, 04:49:18 PM »
Ok,

In theory, we should improve as writers as the years progress. however,  do you find that to be true? Perhaps you're a better melody writer and lyricist but do you become complacent and does technology contribute to a lazy songwriting approach?

I used to write songs solely on guitar.  I'd painstakingly craft a tune, exploring chord progressions and try to write the smartest lyrics possible.  Then along came  a new revolution of accessible home recording tools to tempt me.  For a while, I believe, I had the best of both worlds, my background persuaded me to continue crafting the best song possible and then I'd unleash the power of Logic Pro, resulting in songs that I am very proud of.  I'm now back to writing on my first instrument without the wizardry of Logic and I find that I'm writing incredibly short songs. When I worked in logic, I'd try to enhance my short compositions so I didn't worry too much about this.  Perhaps my writing is  getting to the point quickly without writing excessively.  Anyone else given the above some thought?

Paul
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:27:36 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 05:14:39 PM »
Hi WickyD,

Without the use of a DAW I don't think I would have the patience to finish a song. In fact I know I wouldn't because before I got one, I didn't.

I do find myself spending as much if not more time though twiddling with things and working on production as i do writing the song.

The way I look at it though, for now anyway is that I'm learning all the time and while this is still true, its time well spent.

I know what you mean though.

I don't seem to be able to stop at chords, melody and lyrics. For me I don't see the song as written until I've created a full band production.

I think I would get a lot mor songs written if I could.

But would I be happy with them, probably not.

Yodasdad