The Game-Board of Life ©

• 33 Replies

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« on: July 08, 2015, 12:09:44 PM »
Hi guys, Here's a little swing tune I've been working on for a while ::)I don't know if the mix is working or not, so need some fresh ears :o I think the intro trumpet needs a redo, but haven't had the space, so it will have to do for now :P
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated  :) :)
I'll catch up on listening to your new songs asap :o

https://soundcloud.com/crystalsuzy/the-game-board

Two squares back then you miss a turn
Moving so slow it’s a failure to learn
Trying to land on the perfect space
What’s the secret of this crazy race?

Ya, playing on the game-board of life
Working real hard day and night
So come on, show me, how to cut, through, this, strife

Buying all the property that I can buy
Hotels and houses, but I wonder why
There’s gotta to be more to this game than this
Cause material wealth can’t buy you bliss

The rules of this game ya they really suck
Karma from the past, ya it’s way too much
You roll the dice and you take a chance
It’s straight to jail now you can’t advance

Ya, playing on the game-board of life
A roller coaster ride with these dice
So come on, show me, how to get, this, just right

The laws of attraction are keeping us in tow
Checking our choices every time we pass go
Trying so hard to find the peace within
But everything you like, ya they call a sin

Trying to find the sweet spot of life
Where everything you do is just right
So come on, show me, how to find it tonight

Focus on the negative and that’s what’ll grow
The secret is unfolding, ya, don’t you know
You gotta be thankful for all you got
And maybe you’ll land on the free parking lot

Playing on the game board of life
Where love, and truth and peace are what’s right
Ya feel it, growing, everyday, and, everynight
I finally, found it, ya the sweet, spot, of life
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:57:11 PM by crystalsuzy »

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 03:45:44 PM »
That is soooooo Crystalsuzy-ish.   You truly have a unique way of looking at a song.  There are always twists and turns away from the "expected" in every song you do.  This whole concept is both "retro" and "unique" at the same time. 

And the music totally fits that retro/unique sound. 

The more I listen, the bigger fan I become.  This one definitely should go on your site.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 05:29:11 PM »
great lyrics and a nice loose swing feel ( a little bit too loose around the 1.35 area though)
had a nice 1920's club feel about it, trumpet seemed ok to me... 8)

can't help feeling it sounded like another song though   :-\ :-\
but can not put my finger on it so I'll shut up ;D ;D

I think I have found my ''sweet spot'' of life so I consider myself a lucky guy..

best, Kevin :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 05:31:42 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 08:22:10 PM »
Swang yore pants! I wasn't sure if it got really jazzy about 1.40,or did things get a little out of shape? Regardless..I loved the feel,groove and lyrical content. Grooovey baby!

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 11:42:02 PM »
That is soooooo Crystalsuzy-ish.   You truly have a unique way of looking at a song.  There are always twists and turns away from the "expected" in every song you do.  This whole concept is both "retro" and "unique" at the same time. 

And the music totally fits that retro/unique sound. 

The more I listen, the bigger fan I become.  This one definitely should go on your site.

thanks so much htm  :) I glad I've managed to keep this rather retro swing sound, somewhat unique  :o maybe it's the subject matter  :-\  Your supportive comments are much appreciated  :) :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 11:50:09 PM »
great lyrics and a nice loose swing feel ( a little bit too loose around the 1.35 area though)
had a nice 1920's club feel about it, trumpet seemed ok to me... 8)

can't help feeling it sounded like another song though   :-\ :-\
but can not put my finger on it so I'll shut up ;D ;D

I think I have found my ''sweet spot'' of life so I consider myself a lucky guy..

best, Kevin :)

Thanks for listening Kevin and I'm glad you liked the lyrics  :)

It's not surprising that the brass solo section might sound a little too loose, because it's a combination of real horn and some brass loops  ::)

I don't know of any song that sounds like this, but I guess swing can sound somewhat familiar, no matter how you swing it  ;D ;D

You are lucky...not many have found their sweet spot :) :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 11:57:08 PM »
Swang yore pants! I wasn't sure if it got really jazzy about 1.40,or did things get a little out of shape? Regardless..I loved the feel,groove and lyrical content. Grooovey baby!

Thanks Skub ;D I hope you didn't 'swang yore pants' right off!  ;D ;D See above comment regarding
jazzy section :-[ :-[  I'd love to get a really good horn player in there, so it there's anyone out there that plays, let me know, cause I'm just a hacker  ::)
Glad you found it groovy and liked the lyrics :) :)

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 01:17:30 AM »
Hi CS
I really liked this - it has a nice intro that sets the mood perfectly, and it's totally faithful to the swing genre - old school style! It's the perfect length and my fav part was the trumpet solo. As far as suggs, maybe hold off the harmonies until after the first chorus so it builds more gradually. I liked the harmonies but they were a bit too loud in the mix for me - it would be fun to hear you sing a verse or even switch parts for a bit so the male vocal does harmonies?

Nit-picking aside it was a breath of fresh west coast air we don't get enough of here in the stuffy east!

Reminds me of "Always look on the Bright side of Life"
Nice track!
Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 12:31:52 PM »
Hello CS,

A lovely crafted song with excellent harmonies, a direct harmony and a wonderful title. I enjoyed this instantly Suzy. Brass instruments are excellent!

Well done

Paul

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 12:47:43 PM »
Hi,
I'm with Paul - it's a cracker! Well crafted, clever and fun. I loved the choice of instruments - brass and piano is a lovely combination. I think this is the most mainstream track you've come up with so far but it's still very clearly "you". I thought this couplet was very clever:

"Trying so hard to find the peace within
But everything you like they call a sin"

Clever use of the double meaning of "peace" within the board game analogy.

What is there not to like? This put a smile on my face and had my toes tapping. Excellent song executed with a lovely light touch.

M

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 03:43:55 PM »

Hello;

so cool how you use these trumpets to lift up the song.

always such a pleasure.

so unique; it swings !!

The mix:

well; the drum section could sound a little "bigger" - but it does t really matter.

Always love your music.

B

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 10:58:34 PM »
Nice wee swinging number. That 'playing on the game board of life' is really catchy. Nice Jools Holland style piano playing going on here. The two vocals complimented each other very nicely. When the brass comes in I felt it was held back a little - felt it could have injected a bit more energy into the track instead of being held back. It works as is but personally I'd love if the brass had have cut loose like the piano did and like it does briefly in the outro.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 01:38:05 AM »
hiya suzi & co
like the lyrics , nice piano
you say you been working on it for a while and yet it sounds fresh & not overcooked.. 
lovely lose feel and nice light touch on the production,
vocals sound natural together
reminds of eddie reader and fairground attraction.. great scottish band
love the trumpet
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 05:42:37 PM »
Hi Suzy, very authentic sounding swing song, loved the trumpets , they sounded great. The lyric is very good a great little song! Harmonies were very good too. I would have pushed the drums up a bit and had more of a 'walking' bass going on!
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie ;D ;D

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 01:06:55 PM »
Hi CS
I really liked this - it has a nice intro that sets the mood perfectly, and it's totally faithful to the swing genre - old school style! It's the perfect length and my fav part was the trumpet solo. As far as suggs, maybe hold off the harmonies until after the first chorus so it builds more gradually. I liked the harmonies but they were a bit too loud in the mix for me - it would be fun to hear you sing a verse or even switch parts for a bit so the male vocal does harmonies?

Nit-picking aside it was a breath of fresh west coast air we don't get enough of here in the stuffy east!

Reminds me of "Always look on the Bright side of Life"

Nice track!
Paul

Why, thanks a lot my fellow Can.  ;D I'm glad you liked the horns, and that the song brought you a breath of fresh WC air, although the air out here has been far from fresh lately, with so many forrest fires ablaze :o but we're finally getting some rain  ;D
Thanks for the suggestions about the vocals :) I thought maybe the harm. was too loud, but in the first mix I posted, people thought they were too low ::) ::)  maybe the 3rd time lucky  :P
I'd like to switch up the vocals, but the melody is either too high or too low for me :o
"Always look on the Bright side of Life" ;D ;D I love this song  :) :)