"NARCISSISTICA"

• 4 Replies

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« on: February 11, 2016, 02:27:13 PM »
"Narcissistica"

I though there may have been more to you than meets the eye.
But your shallow depths could barely touch a Turner sky.
I watch you follow the spotlight around.
Jumping out of the shadows
trying to bask in the glory of someone else's crown.

Everyone has to concede if the world doesn't meet your needs.
Na Na Na Na Na Nar - cissistica

Your whole world is you , you only see others in the reflections of a mirror.
And god forbid those who don't agree with your black and white thinking.
Invested in you despite all the concerns.
Now I've reached the point where i have to break
the law of diminishing returns.

Everyone has to concede if the world doesn't meet your needs.

Tick Tick Tock - Ive reached my limit.
Tick Tick Tock - Gonna stop validating your false image.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 08:28:02 PM »
I like your subject matter. Trouble is, those who might benefit the most won't realize it's about them.

"I watch you follow the spotlight around.
trying to bask in the glory of someone else's crown."

Good images...makes me see someone who always has to "one-up" the other guy. If I win a prize, s/he won a bigger one, etc.

"Your whole world is you , you only see others in the reflections of a mirror." Another good image! S/he focuses on self and only sees others around the edges.

"But your shallow depths could barely touch a Turner sky."
I don't know what a "Turner sky" is, and it feels a little weak to me. I think something like "But your depth proved to be shallow as a Turner sky." Except with a better rhythm. Although, your rhythms throughout are inconsistent so it may not be an issue.

Your rhyme scheme is inconsistent. Verse 1 scheme is AABXB. Verse 2 is XXAXA. ("X" means it doesn't rhyme with anything.) If you could get the first two lines to rhyme with each other, you would be consistent.

I like the way you make "limit" and "image" rhymes to each other. Perfect for a song with an unstable theme, like this one.

Lines 1, 2 and 5 in each of the two verses seem to have six strong beats each, but the weak beats are all over the place. With the right setting, this may not be an issue but is something to keep in mind.

Lines 3 and 4 are a little more inconsistent.

Line 3, Verse 1, then Verse 2, followed by beat patterns:
I watch you follow the spotlight around. ( - / - / -- / -- / )
Invested in you despite all the concerns. ( - / -- / - / --- / )

They both have four strong beats, so that could work.

Line 4, Verse 1, then Verse 2, followed by beat patterns:
Jumping out of the shadows ( / - / -- / - )
Now I've reached the point where i have to break ( / - / - / -- / - / )

These two lines are a lot different from each other with a difference of two strong beats and a difference of 7 vs 10 beats total. That doesn't mean you can't make it work, but it'll be harder to do.

All this feedback is based on the way I approach writing music. I've seen many songs that seem as inconsistent or more that work just fine when the songwriter is done with the whole thing. I would look at verse 2, though, and see if you can make those first two lines rhyme with each other.

If anything here is helpful, I am glad. If not, of course, just disregard it.

Vicki

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 09:03:08 PM »
I like your subject matter. Trouble is, those who might benefit the most won't realize it's about them.

"I watch you follow the spotlight around.
trying to bask in the glory of someone else's crown."

Good images...makes me see someone who always has to "one-up" the other guy. If I win a prize, s/he won a bigger one, etc.

"Your whole world is you , you only see others in the reflections of a mirror." Another good image! S/he focuses on self and only sees others around the edges.

"But your shallow depths could barely touch a Turner sky."
I don't know what a "Turner sky" is, and it feels a little weak to me. I think something like "But your depth proved to be shallow as a Turner sky." Except with a better rhythm. Although, your rhythms throughout are inconsistent so it may not be an issue.

Your rhyme scheme is inconsistent. Verse 1 scheme is AABXB. Verse 2 is XXAXA. ("X" means it doesn't rhyme with anything.) If you could get the first two lines to rhyme with each other, you would be consistent.

I like the way you make "limit" and "image" rhymes to each other. Perfect for a song with an unstable theme, like this one.

Lines 1, 2 and 5 in each of the two verses seem to have six strong beats each, but the weak beats are all over the place. With the right setting, this may not be an issue but is something to keep in mind.

Lines 3 and 4 are a little more inconsistent.

Line 3, Verse 1, then Verse 2, followed by beat patterns:
I watch you follow the spotlight around. ( - / - / -- / -- / )
Invested in you despite all the concerns. ( - / -- / - / --- / )

They both have four strong beats, so that could work.

Line 4, Verse 1, then Verse 2, followed by beat patterns:
Jumping out of the shadows ( / - / -- / - )
Now I've reached the point where i have to break ( / - / - / -- / - / )

These two lines are a lot different from each other with a difference of two strong beats and a difference of 7 vs 10 beats total. That doesn't mean you can't make it work, but it'll be harder to do.

All this feedback is based on the way I approach writing music. I've seen many songs that seem as inconsistent or more that work just fine when the songwriter is done with the whole thing. I would look at verse 2, though, and see if you can make those first two lines rhyme with each other.

If anything here is helpful, I am glad. If not, of course, just disregard it.

Vicki

Wow Thats in depth :) ...thats the trouble with lyrics they are just words written on a page until you get a tune to go with it...and i'll make them fit one way or another or they'll get changed or dropped.

As for a Turner Sky - perhaps being too clever but Google a Painting By Famous Artist Turner and look at his Skies - Very low and atmospheric.

Thanks.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 09:26:29 PM »
You're welcome. I'm trying to get better at my feedback. :)

DrSpooglemon

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 01:59:46 PM »
Structure's a bit off. When I'm writing I go back and try to rewrite to keep the rhythm smoothe and get rid of lazy grammar. Redraft until I'm satisfied. The rhythm of the words is important.

For example;

Jumping from the shadows you chase the spotlight around
Lured by the glory of someone else's crown.

Just a thought...