A couple of girls i like to champion,

The Smoke Fairies.

or , just found this band by complete accident,

&feature=related
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:51:33 PM by songsthatcry »

domj

• Open Mic
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2012, 10:28:42 PM »
Ok, I'd like to offer up a 'popular' song for review that is a far cry from whats been put up so far...think we need a broader palette! So this is a song from an established, pretty successful band. But also one I dont think many people on here will know:

Artist: Midlake
Song: Head Home

Have to say i found this a bit of a grind. The lead vocalist sounded like he really couldn't be bothered... it made me feel the same.

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2012, 10:31:24 PM »
Ha Ha Domj,

Whose idea was this anyway!!!

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2012, 01:05:11 AM »
lol :D @ Flossie. Where di you get those boxing little fella's from? hahaha.

The smoke Fairies.
At first I thought yes, this is cool. Nice atmosphere, nice guitars and I actually liked the vocals, but
then it didn't really have enough of interest in it to keep me from getting bored with it. I think at almost
5 minutes long it is too long.
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

domj

• Open Mic
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2012, 05:40:38 AM »

The smoke Fairies.
At first I thought yes, this is cool. Nice atmosphere, nice guitars and I actually liked the vocals, but
then it didn't really have enough of interest in it to keep me from getting bored with it. I think at almost

Yup, i think it would have been better as a 3min song as after that it was floundering. Needed more balls as well in the performace(not saying that cause it's two women.), but the mix is kinda muddy and little dynamics.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2012, 09:45:50 AM »

The smoke Fairies.

Yup, i think it would have been better as a 3min song as after that it was floundering. Needed more balls as well in the performace(not saying that cause it's two women.), but the mix is kinda muddy and little dynamics.

They spent a year around the Mississippi learning their craft,that is the bluesy guitar sound,,for me the length is fine,i find it hypnotic ....

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2012, 09:58:58 AM »
I think this thread is in danger of just becoming a place where people post their favourite songs and then get upset when other people don't like them.....
Theres already a 'favourite music' thread...

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2012, 10:12:59 AM »
I think this thread is in danger of just becoming a place where people post their favourite songs and then get upset when other people don't like them.....

This thread veered off course ,very early on...but i think it`s interesting non the less...think it`s a chance to view songs that some might not have seen,myself included,,,

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2012, 10:31:22 AM »

maybe , it's certainly not going how thought it would , basically to many opinions on other peoples opinions , maybe the idea someone came up with early on was to take one number from a music chart and use that every week to pick a song. The point of it for me was to show that no matter who makes a song and no matter how successful it becomes , you are never going to find everyone says they like it . anyhow what about that idea?
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2012, 11:30:49 AM »

maybe , it's certainly not going how thought it would , basically to many opinions on other peoples opinions , maybe the idea someone came up with early on was to take one number from a music chart and use that every week to pick a song. The point of it for me was to show that no matter who makes a song and no matter how successful it becomes , you are never going to find everyone says they like it . anyhow what about that idea?

I think the single charts are fairly dull and full of the same kind of music....many many many bands do not even particularly release singles anymore. Especially as the definition of releasing a single is now fuzzy (all songs can be bought individually online). The charts are an exercise in marketing for record companies :P
Ok, thats just an opinion, but I do think a better way to do it would be to have some kind of administrator who you send your song suggestions to and they space out the review threads so that each song has an equal amount of time to be reviewed (maybe one a week is a bit much) and to prevent us from being inundated with new songs.

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2012, 08:18:51 PM »
I think it's particularly difficult and noticeable during competition time.  I would be really  reluctant to start placing more rules within a relaxed forum such as this. 

However, perhaps there should be a separate section for 'forum competition songs' (which most regular members are likely to look at/be involved in anyway)

On the main review thread we can just continue to ask (when the need arises) that people are polite and considerate about posting too many songs for review. I think newbies can get carried away because finally they've found there's somewhere where other people are excited about creating songs too and they can get unbiased critique, most people probably don't do it to annoy!

Normally it doesn't take long for a new member to realise bombarding the reviews thread with songs does not lead to more reviews!

I would like to add that I also love that we all have such different tastes in music I don't find disagreeing with someone offensive but rather interesting instead!

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2012, 12:03:48 AM »
However, perhaps there should be a separate section for 'forum competition songs' (which most regular members are likely to look at/be involved in anyway)

A damn fine suggestion. We could have a sticky thread in there where people post competition ideas. The polling stations, etc all end up there, plus it tidys up the board a bit (i like tidy!). I'm not gonna say comp.songs aren't as important, but if its all for a bit of fun it makes sense to seperate them from the normal "serious" review posts. Plus it'll stop normal song reviews disappearing so quickly. Awesome idea flossie!  ;D

What do we think? Tone?
Everything is easier said than done.

Except talking.

That's about the same.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2012, 01:06:46 AM »
I've also been thinking along the same lines. Despite being a notorious de-classifier, having a separate board or sub-board for competition threads seems to make sense.

Everyone in favour, say I :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2012, 01:57:48 AM »
Aye captain :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2012, 02:02:03 AM »
Ooh @ Flossie. Me too :)