"Jenny" - James Nighthawk

• 33 Replies

stephaniedema

• Solo Gig
    • Sienna Little on Facebook
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 09:04:46 AM »
Great song, man!

I think I've told you before, but I absolutely love your voice, esp. when you're singing in your higher register.
Very neat production as well. Sounds like a perfectly polished studio version.
And I agree on the catchyness of the melody and the hook of the song.
Kudos! You're great in this style.

Perfect line:
"Lving sure ain’t easy
But loving’s half the battle, so let’s try"

More of this, pls!  ;-)

SD
Like a little spider I'm climbing the insurmountable. But I never hold myself accountable. - KT Tunstall

https://www.facebook.com/siennalittlemusic
https://twitter.com/SiennaLittle
http://www.reverbnation.com/siennalittle

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 11:18:13 AM »
Wow, some lovely reviews overnight, thank you all :)

@serious
Mastering for all systems is a pain. With tinny iPad/laptop speaker, I simply want to be sure it is clear and the vocal heard. All else is a losing battle! I focus energy elsewhere. Glad it sounded ace on you monitors :)

@Hillbilly
Thanks kindly for the rave review on the melody.
Regarding the lyrics, I completely see where you are coming from. There are cliched lines and a rather generic characterisation going on. However - in way of explanation, not excuse! - when I attempted a rewrite of parts, nowt worked so well as the ones that just "came" to me. The meaning comes across as I wanted. And, while I was somewhat concerned of the generic factor, I thought sod it - the song is "poppy", it works. Hope that makes sense!

@Schav
So glad someone pointed out the bass! My proudest moment so far on the old four string ;)
As there are only 3 chords throughout this song, arrangement was always gonna be key. I wrote this quick but spent hours playing with the instrumentation :)

@Flossie
Thanks a bunch! Your pop senses are tingling hey!  ;D
"All the time" is indeed a darker melody movement, I agree. I like it being dark against the bright "yeaaaaah tonight". BUT, you are right; all out pop should avoid such risks. I am just not ready to go that far I guess ;)
And I was indeed concerned about the fact the chorus only appears twice, good spot!
I decided upon a "leave em wanting more" factor. Plus, the final line is so, well, final! I couldn't work an arrangement that fitted without sounding like a false ending. BUT, again, stylistically you are spot on. (Note...it would take the song away from the magic 3.30 length tho...)

@Stephanie
Glad you liked that line
It made Jenny tear up a little  :)

Thanks again to all for the considered reviews jxx
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 04:11:23 PM »
James, shall I tell you what I think, I really think you should go all the way  :o with this one baby!

Go ooon you know you want to. Listen to your heart and to Auntie Flossie! (on this one occasion!)

xxx

And post the results of your toil afterwards!!! ;D

(Bet you won't do it!)
x

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »
Ha. Your temptress ways hold no power over me, she-devil of poppery  ;D

Jenny is put to bed - hiring session drummers is not cheap lol! - but I will consider different arrangements for live versions going forward

Lets call that a compromise, melady xXX
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 04:57:01 PM by James Nighthawk »
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 04:58:20 PM »
Hiya James,

This is a catchy tune.  The lyrics are very good, though I think that the 'to be free section', isn't lyrically as strong as the verses.  However, The melody for this section is fine. Great attention to detail with the backing vocals and I love the busy bass which, moves the song along extremely well.
Overall, I'd say this is the strongest song that you have posted and I enjoyed listening tremendously.

Most enjoyable :)

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 05:39:04 PM »
Oasis vibe nicely accomplished - with more complex harmony bed
liking this song very much.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 08:17:26 PM »
Love this one!!!!!

I am hearing the nod to Wonderwall at the start but I actually prefer where you have taken the track (and I don't say that lightly!!!!)

The lyrics are just right for me - anything more "flowery" ( ;)) would have ruined the simplicity of the song for me - they are "conversational", which helps make the song a bit more personal IMHO

The stereo imaging of the acoustic is spot on and perfect

The bass is just right - driving the track but still bobbing about now and then

The drum breaks are also a really nice touch

If I had to provide some "critiquey" feedback I would say that I would love to hear you add a bit more "punch" to the vocal for the chorus - a bit more power and "grit" to contrast a little to the stunning vocal in the verses (which I have to say I think is the best I have heard)

The only other thing I would say is about the ending - and this is only a personal opinion...

I would have liked the song to end on the final vocal line - without the final guitar line

Excellent stuff!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cj allen

• Busker
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 09:18:02 PM »
THAT'S A GOOD SONG

I think the more you perform that song live, then more energy will come in the vocals, and that's a good thing.........

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 09:44:02 PM »
@Paul. CJ
Muchos Thanks!

@Boydie
Thanks, of course! Thought this might be up your alley ;)

The grit factor is something I just don't have. I agree, it lacks a "cut", hence the layered vocals to compensate (but they have their won charms too). I work within the confines of my instrument, but, I am getting better at dynamics. The next song I post may show this in an interesting way ;)

Glad you liked my stereo field work. That is "Sheryl", my Gibson Sheryl Crow Dreadnaught on stereo double tracking duties :)

And good call on the ending. I did try EXACTLY that mix, but it didn't make the cut. When I play it just me and a guitar, I do this somewhat....a rake strum down on each final chord, vocal to front and no more. In the studio mix it felt too much like it petered out, so I preferred the guitar accompaniment. But yup, it was a pop "go-to" pop idea, so yup good spot.
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 10:14:43 PM »

And good call on the ending. I did try EXACTLY that mix, but it didn't make the cut. When I play it just me and a guitar, I do this somewhat....a rake strum down on each final chord, vocal to front and no more. In the studio mix it felt too much like it petered out, so I preferred the guitar accompaniment. But yup, it was a pop "go-to" pop idea, so yup good spot.

It was only on my mind as I do exactly that in a song I am about to post later on tonight hopefully!  ;D
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 11:24:52 PM »
Hey man, soz must of missed this post ,i was amazed with the production quality on this James ,would love to see how you record your tunes
Learner guitarist

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 07:28:11 PM »

nice track james, nice to hear you stretch out a little.

no frills and very nice feel and like the bas playing, touch of the macca in some of them turns
riff reminds very much of a travis track which threw me at the start
great vocals
you sound much more engaged vocally on this and it lifts beautifully, naturally

im not keen on the riff ive decided, think you could actually lose it, wonder what it would sound like without it ?

well done though, great song
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2012, 11:05:44 AM »
Good stuff James, excellent production as always, I can't really find fault, I don't want to just say I like it, and that's all, bit I do, and that's all I can really say.

Keep up the good work :)

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 01:15:11 AM »
@habitat @jim

Merci Beaucoup!

@Nomms

The Macca reference made my day. My FAVOURITE bassist ever. Love how he puts melody in the low registers. I am a guitarist, not a bassist, but if I were to choose a mentor to set me on the four string road, it would be him! So thanks a bundle!
The riff was an anti riff. A colouration. The "riff" is in the bass. But without the high pitch guitars the track feels a little lobsided, in my humble opinion :)
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 10:44:25 PM »
cracking cracking cracking tune!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks