Zombies are Comin! - Halloweeen contest entry

• 25 Replies

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 12:34:45 AM »
OMG Paul! That is "bloody" brilliant and seeing how I just started watching the "Walking Dead" on Netflix, it's perfect :o :o

What's in the drinking water in Eastern Canada anyway?? You come up with some pretty amazing stuff 8)

You should definitely get a video happening with this and post it on youtube...maybe it'll go viral :o

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 01:09:10 PM »
@Benjo

Thanks so much for your kind words Tony! Yeah - I guess it is a bit Apacolyptic in places. Cheers

@diademgrove

Fortunately my grandkids scream for free. Much more cooperative than that zombies union  ??? ???. They did a "walk off" right in the middle of recording this!  >:( Thanks for the nice remarks!

@cramer1930

Cheers for the positive comments - yeah I guess it was a bit time-consuming if I'm honest - but it didn't feel like it at the time ;D.

@Neil C.

Thanks Neil - happy you liked it. "trash rock" - that's a good one too  ;D.

@DutchBeat

Thanks for checking it out and saying those nice things. Looking forward to hearing your entry too!

@retrononomusic

Thanks for the ZZ-top reference - that is something I had in mind when recording. Louder guitar? I'd have to learn how to play better before I turn that up. I don't have the chops for multimedia - hoping someone that does might take a crack... ;)

@crystalsuzy

Hey - glad you liked it! I get my inspiration from something magical in the wind from the Canadian west - so keep sprinkling whatever it is you're sprinkling... 8) 8)

Dogmax

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 09:20:56 PM »
Brilliant Paul Absolutely Brilliant the best Zombie movie i ever heard, tell me is your grandkids giving you nightmares   ;D   ;D  i seen this Zombies TV show last week and there was this little kid a really cute little kid he was, until he turn ZOMBIE, you should have seen those grownups run   ;D   ;D

Really Brilliant Paul.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 01:16:11 PM »
Brilliant Paul Absolutely Brilliant the best Zombie movie i ever heard, tell me is your grandkids giving you nightmares   ;D   ;D  i seen this Zombies TV show last week and there was this little kid a really cute little kid he was, until he turn ZOMBIE, you should have seen those grownups run   ;D   ;D

Really Brilliant Paul.
Hey Pat - thanks for the kind feedback - glad you liked it!
Paul

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 11:31:37 AM »

Hi Paulski

Your usual high quality, a great arrangement which keeps up the interest all the way through the song.

Has the quirky sense of humour I associate with the B-52's. A lot of effort has obviously gone into this and it shows, excellent vocals, playing and production.

This will do well in the competition, nice one!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 08:03:57 AM »
Scary and funny at the same time.  Few can pull THAT off. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 03:55:54 PM »

Hi Paulski

Your usual high quality, a great arrangement which keeps up the interest all the way through the song.

Has the quirky sense of humour I associate with the B-52's. A lot of effort has obviously gone into this and it shows, excellent vocals, playing and production.

This will do well in the competition, nice one!
Cheers on the nice comments DevyE
Paul

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 03:57:46 PM »
Scary and funny at the same time.  Few can pull THAT off. 
Full credit to my grandkids for the convincing screams
thanks Verlon - nice to see ya back!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 09:11:31 PM »
Hot damn Paul! YEAH

Although what was I expecting? Your songs are always a treat on the ears, and this is no exception.

That guitar sound is spot on. Sounds like it's put through a half-cocked wah wah pedal or something? Whatever you've done, it sounds raw, bruv. And when the other guitars come in, it just gets better.

You know what this reminds me of? If 'Thriller' had been a Neil Young song ;)

My only slight crit with this recording is the vocal sound, particularly in the beginning before the arrangement really kicks in. It doesn't sound quite 'bedded in' to my ears, but I lack the technical vocab to really say what I mean. It's just a bit loud, and slightly out of place EQ wise? Or maybe that's the point?

Either way, this is quality as usual Paul, can hear lots of work has gone into this. And it's always a pleasure to hear the way you handle a guitar.

Gonna be a close contest this halloween comp.... :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 11:10:57 PM »
really fun track paul
amazing lyric & performance worthy of warren zevon, ..he'll be stirring up there with this
really kicks along nicely cant help but get into it
great stutter too ..

outro took me by surprise..is that your dog ?
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 08:24:43 PM »
@Tone

Hey - thanks for those kind words! Yeah the lead vocals have been treated a bit - I added distortion in a narrow band of frequencies because I felt my voice was a bit too clean for this (wish I had some gravel sometimes!) and also put an exciter on them to bounce them off left and right sides a bit. Maybe went a bit overboard? Or maybe I just need to edge them down a bit in volume in places. Thanks for mentioning that

@nooms

Thanks for the nice words! My dog? Man, they told me they were ZOMBIES! Last time I'll deal with those guys!