konalavadome

ZZ Tramp

• 20 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2023, 05:39:42 PM »
Hi Paul.

I caught this one on the cloud a while ago,but don't see my comment,proll SC ballsing up again!

Anyway,it's a great tip of the hat to the reverend William Gibbons. Gloriously clattering guitar and you usual top line lyric work.

Fun and cool. I hope you have recovered from the treadmill that is FAWM?

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2023, 07:50:34 PM »
Finally, you’ve written a decent song. I knew you had it in you! 😉  You’re inspiring me  to go back into comedy after this. Made me giggle a lot those lyrics, plus the parody style impersonation was great too. Just like the original Quo.

I remember some band from the sixties called The Baron Knights that made a career out of taking off popular hits. In the 2000s I saw Mark Radcliffe,, BBC DJ, doing the same thing with his band of the time Shire Horses. There could be money in this for you. Pubs and working men’s clubs would love a set full of this stuff. Wanna start a band? 😀

Anyway, great stuff Paul, I’ll be buying that album now you’ve put the cherry on top 😀
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2023, 08:20:18 AM »
OK, you asked for it.

What I liked: Nice jokey fun song - very clever and as always the rhymes never sound forced, which is the best sign of a good write.

What I didn't like: a bit throwaway for me, and i found myself asking "what's the point?". Now, possibly the point is to have fun, and awyway there might be nothing else that anyone could ever do with a ZZ Top themed lyric. Or is there? Could these lyrics be part of an original sounding Funeral Crasher song? With a bit of editing too (do tramps ever change their clothes?).

That's probably why I don't do FAWM, because I like to smoke my pipe and consider things and gradually build them up. So mixed feelings for this one - FAWM generated a cool idea, but FAWM also left it a bit where it started when it might have another life.

But as always that's just me. Love ya!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2023, 09:06:53 AM »
Ta, everyone 😀

Very much appreciate the replies…

I’ve just about recovered…I hadn’t really written much in the last year or so, and thought I’d chuck myself into it last minute. I had such a lousy year last time round, I had no intention of doing it…and I suppose that’s why I did it.

I had real misgivings about the lyrics in this…it was meant to be quite different to what it ended up being…but I didn’t have time to do it “properly” which - for me - probably means that it wasn’t going to be up to scratch if I had to think about it much. I tend to go with my gut feelings and if I have to work on lyrics, they’ll probably be contrived twaddle.

It was a misadventure really…and my initia idea of doing a set of parody songs that only lasted two songs before i ran out of steam, but here’s the thing…

Once I’d started writing, I felt like I had to get stuck in, and I went on to write three or four songs that I am quite happy with…and I honestly don’t think I’d have written any of them unless I’d written this one to get started.

It was like a stepping stone. I probably found it unfortunate that it got more than twice as many comments as the much better songs I went on to write on FAWM website…but it was probably the title that piqued folk’s curiosity to check it out, and I’m very grateful that it was so well received and people found it fun/funny.

Playing-wise, it’s always good to try adapting to different styles…I used a GarageBand preset (as always) that was meant to replicate Mr Gibbons sound…but I couldn’t go through with that, and reverted to the more spiky-sounding guitar sound I prefer. I think I generally have too much treble on my guitar sound…but I prefer it that way and sacrificed authenticity here in order to please myself.

I think all the songs I write are just “here today and gone tomorrow” so I don’t let it bother me if I’m ever seen as being flippant.

Thanks again!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2023, 02:03:36 PM »
Hi @PaulAds
Oh my oh my. Your lyrics are so brilliantly funny - laughed out loud a number of times. Your usual biting vocals and a lovely raw electric guitar tone. What can I say - probably if not definitely my favourite song of yours and all delivered totally deadpan. I also thought the way you allowed yourself to be heavily influenced by the original ZZ Top song but never actually copied it - that's genius
M

Maya Clars

• Solo Gig
  • Follow me on Instagram (@mayaclars)
    • mayaclars.com
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2023, 09:39:30 PM »
@PaulAds

14 songs in 28 days sounds so awesome! :))
Did you have time for breakfast? :))
Great drive, pumping rhythm, excellent guitars, great vocals!

Maya
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 09:50:19 PM by Maya Clars »