Songwriter Forum > The Writing Process

Love songs

(1/5) > >>

jim morrison:
I know its the spice of life and that and i respect peoples own love songs but why do so many people write about it ??
I get my inspiration from a lot of different things but am trying to give love a wide birth, of course theres nothing wrong with my love life ;D

tone:
Hey Jim!

I'm with you on this one. I don't know why so many people write about love when there's a whole world of less-explored subjects out there to tackle.

Not that I'm a miserable old bastard or anything, but love songs tend to be somewhat predictable and need something a little special to make them interesting... and good!

My favourite 'love' song off the top of my head is probably the art teacher by rufus wainwright. Or darling lorraine by paul simon. But the're both pretty different from your average love song!

What do you like to write about?

TNMC:
I can only speak for myself here but generally i write about things which are important to me or significant to those around me. I do get my inspiration from lots of different things but few things move me as much as love, good or bad. Why are so many poems about love?  Why are so many films/books/insert any other art form here/etc about love? Because it matters to people. The artist or writer and the public can both connect to the piece on an emotional level as well. In general most of us seem to love a love song, cheesey or otherwise because we can relate to it and because it reminds us of good times or broken hearts.
Lets not get snobbish about love songs they are just as valid as a piece of "art" as any other song and deserve the same respect. Some of the biggest selling records in history are love songs, all those people can't be wrong, even if we don't get it. I don't understand chinese writing but it doesn't make it wrong.
Liam.

massa:
The best songs, and most songs are about love in one way or another.

Love makes the world go round!

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* Share the love  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

hofnerite:
Macca has done alright from love songs!  ;D

I see what you are saying and partly agree but I'd guess that from day 1 of songwriting, people have sung about love. In terms of commercial appeal, I would say that love songs are the most accessible by the majority. A song about eating apples won't have that general appeal. Personally when I write, love is perhaps my default setting though I hate being too obvious about the subject. Good call about Rufus, I like it when a writer does mainstream but in a new way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version