konalavadome

Western Digital External Drive

• 15 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: June 10, 2015, 07:39:14 PM »
I've moved 4 times since my marriage break up. However, I eventually bought a new house and am delighted with it. Ok, now the exciting part - well it is for me. I've unpacked all of my musical toys and everything is in working order apart from my Western Digital external hard disk drive. I have stored many MP3's 4's and aiff files on this, including full Logic Pro with associated productions - in short, everything I've ever done. The smaller files are backed up e.g MP3 and 4's but not all of the individual logic song files. I've lost  the 12v DC supply in the moves. I've tried a different power supply, not purpose built and the light on the unit flickers but no action. I've ordered a replacement on-line but am starting to worry that the drive may have been damaged sometime in amongst the various moves. if it doesn't spring to life with a new power supply when it arrives (maybe tomorrow) any suggestions for retrieving my files? I have back ups of most but not all files. any suggestions please.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 07:45:07 PM by Wicked Deeds »

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 08:02:40 PM »
I wouldn't fret too much until you have the correct adaptor.

Computer components are very picky about amp/volt matching. As such, the "spare" 12V adaptor you used may have triggered the LED to turn on, and even spin up the drive, but perhaps not to drive it properly.

I am NOT an expert on these things. but LEDs are super easy to activate. HDD spindles are more picky

I'd advice some patience and fingers crossed for you :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 08:03:38 PM »
Thank you James :-)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 08:22:37 PM »
James is right

You need to make sure you match the volts AND amps required by the drive

I think you will be fine when the new adapter arrives
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 08:31:36 PM »
Thank you Boydie. Fingers crossed here. :-)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 09:16:10 PM »
Also it's worth remembering that even if the power unit on your drive fails, it doesn't mean the data is lost. I've recovered several disks by taking them out of the casing and connecting manually or installing them on my desktop computer. Good luck getting your files back Paul :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 09:38:30 PM »
Then I may call on you for further instruction if that's ok, should my new power supply doesn't fix the problem. Thanks tone!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 11:14:52 PM »
I'll be more than happy to help if I can sir :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 02:47:05 PM »
Damn, I take a holiday from work, excited to begin writing and recording again after almost a two year absence -  when my new DC power supply arrives, the drive light flashes but it still doesn't work.  it hurts :-(

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 03:21:56 PM »
Hey tone, I unde stand that it's possible to buy a hard drive docking station to retrieve information. Have you heard of this method?

Thanks

Paul

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 03:43:08 PM »
Hey tone, I unde stand that it's possible to buy a hard drive docking station to retrieve information. Have you heard of this method?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Wicked Deeds,

before spending any more money it may be worth ringing a couple of local computer shops to see if they can retrieve the data and put it on a data disc. It may be cheaper then buying things that don't help. Usually the staff in the shop are very knowledgeable and helpful. If you go down this route make sure you can open the pro-tools files before leaving the shop, if that's possible.

Its possible that a docking station will work but that depends on how easy it is to get all the casing off your external drive. The complicated it is to get to the hard drive the more likely you are to damage the hard drive.

Good luck,

Keith

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 04:04:38 PM »
Thanks Keith,

that's a really helpful response and one that I am very grateful to receive. I think I'll do just that and in the meantime, buy another drive so that I can begin to make music again. At least that way it's not urgent that I access the old drive immediately.

Thanks again.

Paul

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 04:44:24 PM »
Hi Paul

Not wishing to disagree with Keith, because that can be a good solution. But depending on what's wrong with the drive and how scrupulous your local IT company is, you could spend far more money on this option.

I don't know how computer savvy you are, but this is what I do in your situation. Carefully unscrew the external hard drive enclosure and take it apart, so you're left with a standard hard drive minus the power/ usb attachments etc.

Then install the disk as a secondary device in your PC, or buy a USB-SATA (or USB to whatever connector your drive has) and simply plug it into your computer. If the drive is working, this will allow you access to your files. You should be able to buy a half decent connector for a tenner. If this method fails, the computer shop is the next step.

Let me know if I can be of any more assistance mate :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 05:48:40 PM »
Thanks tone, a tenner is a small price to pay even if it doesn't work. I'v ejust been out and bought a brand new drive - greater capacity for storage but much, much smaller. Still I do need to retrieve my files. I've already very carefully taken the drive apart, so your suggestion is an option worth trying.  Now I need to get my wife to agree to let me have my Logic Pro software as it resides at my old marital home. Then, I'll at least be able to record new material.   Thanks again tone. :-)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 06:40:16 PM »
Good luck Paul - let me know how you get on