• 21 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2021, 11:36:42 AM »
Hello fellow forum people,

Thanks to those who listened and took the time to comment. Specifically:

Haven`t any suggestions on the arrangement but just wanted to say how much I like this song. I think the simplicity really compliments the subject matter..its very natural. Great lyrics although I did have to check cos I thought you mentioned Des O`Connor at one point.  :o . Looking forward to hearing how you develop this song but I like it very much at the mo  @montydog .

@5 guys named Lars Thanks for the kind words. I'd be interested to hear what you thought of the final version :-)

Ah, I'm late to the party. Had a listen to the original demo, had a few suggestion but did not get around to comment until now and then I find you have implemented most of the suggestions I had in mind without me telling you... spooky.
Anyway the "full" version is nothing short of fantastic, I have enjoyed your adventures into new music territories latently but this is where you have your super powers. Fantastic vox and the subtle by very effective backing is just stellar. Love the harmonica and the ambient guitar and the cello(?) and... well all of it!
Blown away really.. this almost my fav song of yours second only to I Have Taking To Walking.
Respect!

@Jambrains Wow! Blown away by your review. Made my day. Many thanks indeed.

Yes, a wonderful song. Nothing I can criticise at all. I find myself agreeing with what's already been said. A great arrangement, good lyrics and a fabulous vocal. Great organ - something I love to hear. And that harmonica...Going to play it again as I enjoyed it so much. :)

@ChrisPrice Thank you so much for the kind words. You are a man if impeccable taste :-)

Hola @montydog

Beautiful song, as always. This line has enchanted me
"Looking for the answers
In the bars of this old song"

It is beautiful, a portrait of emotion.

Nice arrangement, nothing else is needed, everything is your style

Say safe

Mora

@moraamarolaloba Such lovely comments. Thank you.

Audie Murphy...there's a blast from the past.

Kind of wished I'd been able to catch the earlier version of this...as the comments made it sound like I'd have loved it.

Fantastic lyrics...up there with some of your best...and that's a high bar.

A group of us used to go and get half-pissed on a Sunday lunchtime, then go for a walk through the woods and into the country...often doing foolish and ridiculously dangerous stuff...Tommy Peel (RIP) and I climbed on an old tractor once that was left rusting in a field over by the old Whittonstall Drift ambulance track...and I think he knocked the brake off...or dipped the clutch when it was still in gear or something...anyway, the bastard rolled away down the hill with us desperately clinging on...happy days.

This made me think a little of Todd Rundgren's fab "Fade Away" - not because it sounds anything like it...but that's the lovely feel I got from it.

Bravo!

@PaulAds Thanks for the great review. Really pleased that you liked it. Somebody had to write about farm machinery eventually. I plough a lonely furrow....

@montydog Superb set of lyrics and lovely plaintiff melody. Love the way the guitar drops out at the end of the verses. Although your vocal style is different, this sounds like it would make a fantastic Neil Young song!

Production-wise, I think this will become even stronger when you add a little more instrumentation, particularly to widen the sound of the acoustic on it's own. I'd also consider some backing vocals in the bridge. Good as it is now, this could become one of your classics.

Kevin

@kevysc Thanks for the review of the demo. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the finished article.

Hi Alan, I very much enjoyed these lyrics. I thought it was going to be about a ‘barn find’ old vehicle that has the potential to be renovated to it’s all glorious self. (I’m hoping to find an old Triumph Stag one day!) But then I guess the tractor is a metaphor for things decaying and the story is really about the need to seize opportunities if you can, as time will inevitably slip away...so what have you to lose. This is a very sad reflection on the human condition, but so true and poignant. Great poem in its own right.

I think it’s always good to slip a stripped back number into an album or live set. They work on a more intimate moment, as you’ll know, and sometimes make an honest connection with the listener at a deeper level, ironically, than when we bother with the full dressing. So the simplicity of the arrangement and your assured yet tender vocals is all that this song needs really.

On second listen I tried playing a simple vst cello along with it. (b flat major, never used that key  ;) ) But I preferred it unplugged. I think if I were to develop trying to embellish it I would go for a single instrument but using reverb to create a very ghostly companion somewhere in the distance, to maybe suggest these passing years and life’s transience.

But it’s a very touching song just as it is. Excellent! 👍

@MichaelA Yes, you have understood exactly what I was trying to get over on this song. You are clearly listening closely and you have a perceptive ear. I wonder what you thought of the finished song. I went with the cello idea you suggested. Bb is only the key because that's what you get if you capo a guitar at the third fret and play in the key of G where all the easy cowboy chords are!

@montydog  this is a beautiful melodic song, there are some really great lines in here, I particularly liked; Steel ticking in the soft heat, Gently turning into rust.... Pile your life in Dad's old car.... There's an old man in the market square, His life written on his skin... those are great lines! You say you would like some ideas for arrangement, but I really like this as it is - right down to the creak of the seat at the end! the guitar work really suits it... I don’t think arpeggiators and a dirty synth bass would improve it!😁 joking aside, really good song👍

@man made material Many thanks for your thorough and detailed review of the song. It works as a simple demo but I think the finished version lets the song really shine. I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

I wouldn't change much in this song. Even like this acoustic version. If you would change that, I would at least leave the beginning part of it acoustic and at some point come in full monty with other instruments after a pause . Pauses enough in your song for that. Even a well found guitarsolo with distorted guitar would be in its place at the end or so. And its the way you sing it, that gives your words extra meaning, i think. I hope this last thing made sence...

@Veance Hi and thanks for listening. I basically did what you suggested on the final version. I wonder what you thought of it. Thanks for the review.
Hey Alan, was this fishing for compliments? No really your naked song is better produced than a song of mine when it is finished. As always a very good song which is painting a picture.
Only work on the the stumble at 2.58 and the moment you chair is creaking at the end.
Great one.

@fischermans Hi, No, not fishing for compliments. My guitar playing is gruesome. So pleased you liked the song. I wonder what you thought of the finished version?

@montydog

Hi Alan, Montydog unplugged!  As you know, I'm not that big on lyrics in general and their importance in terms of storytelling, but on this song they really pack a punch. The words have such simplicity and flow that they make the song with the pared back production. I would never leave a song just with guitar and a vocal, but i think you should consider that here. I think it works perfectly as it is. If you were tempted to add to it I wouldn't do much, maybe some strings towards the end, and a harmonica or dobro solo?

Lovely song

Jamie

@Jamie Thank you so much for the your review. I know it's not your thing but good on you for taking the time to make such perceptive comments. I would really like to hear what you thought of the finished article.

The simplicity here really works, and I think suits your vocal delivery and the lyrics. The  wistful looking back is emphasised by this.
Really enjoyed the imagery you get with the natural settings in the lyrics.

If you were going for arrangement perhaps you could just gentle add to this, enhancing it as it is, rather than align it with click tracks and load it with instruments (I know, I throw the kitchen sink at an arrangement nearly every time!).

There is loads of love about it just as it is. Got the feel of an undiscovered Neil Young song to my ears. Super stuff.

@tboswell Thank you for the review. I basically did what you suggested for the final version. As a massive Neil Young fan, that comparison really means a lot.

@montydog When I first saw the title of this song my immediate thought was "Perhaps Alan's written a song about a tractor ?" Bingo  :) I'm of the same opinion, I love the simplicity of this song and it's also got a vulnerability that is appealing. I reckon whichever way you go arrangement wise it will be excellent  :)

@pompeyjazz Thank you for the kind words. I wonder what you thought of the finished version?

So once again thank you to all who listened and if you haven't heard the final version, i would really appreciate you taking a quick look.

M

Veance

• Busker
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2021, 03:23:34 PM »
Great job on adding that harmonica, and the reverb on that guitar solo really hits the spot, nice melody on it to. And I think you changed the pace? Little faster? overall Improved !
nil volentibus arduum

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2021, 08:25:42 PM »
Hi @montydog, wow, that is an impressive edit. The extra instrumentation is very sparingly applied, but just so damn beautiful. It’s a quite stunning song now, one of your very best for sure! Music for grown ups looking for subtlety and class. 👍
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Furry61

• Busker
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2021, 03:56:56 PM »
Alan,

The first 4 lines really draw you in, this is really solid all round.

Geoff

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2021, 11:54:57 AM »
@montydog  well you’ve treated this really delicately, I was worried how far you’d go, because the demo worked really well, but you’ve managed to add an extra layer of tenderness and atmosphere, great harmonica, lovely the way the bass slips in, and then the Hammond, and additional mandolin (?)... a few strings... very deftly done, sounds lush but still with plenty of sadness and longing, lovely man!👌 (can you just add the creak of your seat in at the end again?😉)
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2021, 02:51:14 PM »
@montydog

Hi Alan, you've done a brilliant job in adding that extra sparkle to an already great song with this delicate arrangement.

Outstanding

Jamie

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2021, 12:38:48 PM »
@montydog,

Songs come an ego so quickly on the forum.  I almost missed this beautiful song.  Lovely production from a very limited palette of instruments.  I also hear the continuous progression that you make as a songwriter.  Your melodies and chosen subjects that you write about are increasingly progressive.

Beautiful song my friend!

Paul