in my own space - a different frontier

• 13 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: January 12, 2013, 06:15:39 PM »
Hi, hope you enjoy this demo - it was good fun recording it.
https://soundcloud.com/neilconnor-2/in-my-own-space-dec-2012
Looking forward to your feedback
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

misswhiterabbit

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 08:01:52 PM »
Great lyrics!!  Particularly..
'Pushing on to new frontiers, to my heart was never dear
Though some beyond the earth would look, that quantum leap I never took
I didn’t care which one led
It all when straight over my head
I’d rather search myself instead'

The drums are great, vocals a little tentative perhaps but a nice tone. I think the song is maybe a little long but I like the sample at the end so I wouldn't want to cut that out.

Yeah I like it, deffo beatles vibe : )

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 09:29:04 PM »
Funny little piece this. Initially I wasn't taken, but it grows.

It has a feeling for aiming very high from both writing and arrangement which is to be commended. At 5minutes + there are lots of sections that keep the interest.

The chord sequence is very Beatles but no bad thing at all  8)

I like the occasional bass run at the end of the sections, keeps things moving nicely.

Good lyrics throughout.

The crazy vocal panning at 3minutes in was very annoying on cans. Perhaps less of the 100% each way and it would be fine. Also, the vocal tuner is working hard on this piece. If this is stylistic I would reconsider. If it is to simply rectify a weakness, then fair enough, it helps us hear the melody ;D

www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 12:06:45 PM »
This reminded me of those 2 Lennon demos that the other Beatles made into singles a few years ago - particularly the drums and the chords. Interesting piece, not the usual subject matter and some clever rhymes.

Sevla

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:03:37 PM »
I liked this Neil.
Quirky verse and then.....I'm a sucker for a good decending bass line...and some clever modulations in the chorus made it for me.

I liked the chords and guitar sound around 4:30....and good harmonica break. Maybe too many effects/voice over bits for my liking.....but good stuff. ;)

refusedrevival

• Solo Gig
    • Refused Revival
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 07:05:09 PM »
Lovely song and nice tunes

Maybe I would lose one verse or one chorus

I like the song ... Good job!

dan79

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 11:34:34 AM »
What a great little song, Neil! I really, really enjoyed listening to this. Amazing lyrics and the melody is unbelievable - the chord changes, especially the 2nd half of the verse blow me away! Excellent chorus too! The production is perfect, the samples of astronauts is a lovely touch. The outro - with that harmonica - simply stunning!!

Reminds me of Blur or a Graham Coxon solo track.

I cannot tell you how much I love this song - it's one of my favourite things I've heard in the recent past - definately one of them moments when you think to yourself, "damn, I wish I had wrote that!"

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:39:55 AM by dan79 »

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 09:04:04 PM »
Thanks for the +ve comments. We were really trying to push the boat out both musically and lyrically. It was great fun with the production and the space soundclips!

Still thinking about the length, the obvious solution is to take out one of the end pairs of choruses, but I wanted that cyclical repeating Beatle/Fears for Fears feeling. 

Anyway definitely going to redo the vocals and reduce the fx on them.

Neil

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 10:35:42 AM »
haha its your yellow submarine tune! digging the apollo 11 lift off like!  great little fun tune! bit shorter would have made this a better track i reckon!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

GuitarArt1980

• Open Mic
    • Shapes & Faces
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
Very cool ideas here. I would've liked to hear some second guitar enter at certain points in the first half, maybe a cool guitar with tremolo picking the chords at the second verse or something. Another thing, is it sound like the vocals were done into a dynamic mic (I could be wrong), but I think a condenser would "open" things up a bit and make the vocals sound less boomy. Or maybe just cut all the lows below 80hz or so on the vocals.

For the panning vocal part, I really like this change of pace, but I would try a slower pan - it get's a little too dizzy in this part for me - but I love the upfront vocal tone here.

Lastly, I would cut the song by a minute or so. I think there's so much good going but too much of a good thing is still too much. I hope I've been helpful and keep up the great work!
Please like and share my band at www.facebook.com/shapesandfaces

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 10:56:43 AM »
GuitarArt - thanks for the comments. I'm afraid I am using a condenser mic [ Rode NT1 ], but starting to put the 'cut' in as suggest. Just trying a friends great valve mic [ Newman Retro ] but still struggling - I should as someone suggested take some lessons.
Also edited the song down. Will repost sometime.
Neil

Kafla

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 04:36:51 PM »
this is very ambitious Neil  ;D

I really love the chord sequence and the guitars come in perfectly over the tight beat

Your singing also really suits the melody here and sounds groovy

The chorus could be bigged up more - think ' all the young dudes ' go for it man even if you twist a bollock 8)

Great lyrics !!!!

Well done mate

garys2811

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 05:00:17 PM »
Nice one Neil, a long song but lots going on so it doesn't sound too long. I don't normally like talking in the middle of a song but you get away with it. Harmonica doesn't immediately strike me as an instrument to use in a song about space but you make it work. I like the NASA and radar stuff. Interesting modulation in the melody. Like the pannig on the vocal. A bit beatles a touch of bowie. Good lyrics, good tune. I like everything here. Very very  good. I can't suggest a lot to improve it. Try to polish the vocal up a bit?

Garys2811

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 02:03:25 PM »
A quick question - what have people done when they've updated songs based on feedback and want to repost a new version, do you add/amend to existing thread or put up a new one?
Neil