The Lights

• 12 Replies

jmacdon

• Solo Gig
  • Give me a lyric and I'll give you a song
« on: October 11, 2013, 10:11:38 PM »
John (Hab) gave me permission to orchestrate his awesome lyrics into a song.  I did that. And I hope that this pays reverence to the depth and quality of the lyrics than Jon not only wrote for himself, but for all those who are seeking the light.

Enjoy. Brics and bracs to the usual address.

https://soundcloud.com/hitfactoryuk/the-lights

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 11:24:05 PM »

Good work guys.

I wasn't sure about the main melody at first but it has grown on me. Don't think there's anything wrong with it, just personal taste. I think in the verses it's just one of those that you have to work at listening to rather than it being instantly memorable. Having said that I think these are usually the ones that prove to have longevity in the end. Vocals sound like Dylan, Springsteen and Joel chucked their voices into a blender in this is what emerged.

I like the minimalist approach to the accompaniment, it would be nice to hear what it sounds like with some real strings and a choir. It's got an 'on your own at Christmas' feel about it to me, without there being any obvious Christmas reference. Perhaps it's the 'cold' feeling I'm getting from the lyrics and the accompaniment.

You see, the more I'm writing about it, the more I'm growing to appreciate and like it.

Yodasdad

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 11:27:53 PM »
Lovely job mate, such a different interpretation to mine. I think this is the most 'produced' one of yours I've heard, its really nicely done. I love the pauses on the chorus, its like an anti-chorus isn't it. Somehow by having less, it has more.

Thanks for thinking my lyrics worthy, this is great, I'm well chuffed :)

John

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 11:29:50 PM »
Just had another listen and already I disagree with my own original comments....there's nowt wrong with the melody. I think there's some unexpected elements but it works more with each listen for me.

Yodasdad

jmacdon

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 05:50:54 PM »
I love the pauses on the chorus, its like an anti-chorus isn't it. Somehow by having less, it has more.

I like that description, but the reality is somewhat different:  The verse / song is 4/4 but I wanted the chorus to be 3/4 but couldn't be faffed re-arranging the time sig, so hence the gaps - which do add value to the song.  So the shortcut turned out quite well :-)

Pez

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 08:02:20 PM »
Tom petty on the vocals! Slightly out of tune here and there but overall pretty good this

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 09:17:14 PM »
Hi!

Good interpretation of some stunning lyrics.

I think your intro, with the harmonics and the lovely piano, is really, really gorgeous, and i think it captures something of the essence of the lyrics.

I felt that the sort of unstable timing detracted a little...it's a bit jerky and the pauses interrupted the flow a little, where i really felt it needed to be a bit more closely coordinated and to keep moving. The synth sound that holds out single notes on those pauses didn't really do justice to the rest of the lovely sounds that you're creating.... But I think the musical concept really complements the lyrics and if you got the timing a bit more "flowy" i think (my opinion) that would help - and this would be really lovely.... I also felt there might be one or two too many clashing notes, and just as a matter of personal taste i think it would sound better with a few clashes taken out. On the other hand, i guess looking at the northern lights must have a kind of otherworldly feeling, which you captured well.

I hope that doesn't sound critical! it's not meant to as i think there's some really really beautiful stuff there, i just feel the beauty of it would be a bit more accessible and shine brighter if the timing were a bit simpler.

Nice work!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 01:53:43 PM »
Hi Jmacdon,
                   Vocals sound really good reminds of someone, but can't put my finger on it. I like the melody. Some of the synth a bit 'scratchy' not really adding much. I remember who the singer is now, Paul Buchanan from the Blue Nile. I'm liking this! ;D ;D It's really like Paul Buchanan.

Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie

Dogmax

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 07:19:51 PM »
This is really really good John, love the piano infact i think this would be brilliant if it was just the piano and your vocals, going to listen again.

Really Great   8)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 11:54:32 PM »
Hi guys, I've listened to this a few times now and I think Dogmax is right this is a great song for vox and piano only, definitely a Paul Buchanan sound (see earlier  comment by me). Good song.
Cheers

Jamie ;D ;D ;D

ToastedAndButter

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 03:09:35 AM »
this is very interesting i love the verses.. im actually not a fan of the pauses in the chorus.. i think its coz im not a fan of the choir synth that just fills the gap its not an interesting enough sound to be so bold and long there by itself.. But i love the verses and your voice :)

jmacdon

• Solo Gig
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 09:52:34 PM »
Great feedback everyone  :)

@Jamie, i'd never heard of Paul Buchanan, but now having listened to him I can see the similarity in the piano / vocal style.  I very much like his style.  Thanks for the heads-up.

@DMax, I agree that stripping this down to vocals and piano would probably fit my style better (given that I'm pretty useless on the DAW), and i'll do just that and I'm sure it'll flow much better :-)

@Caco, good points and I think with this track stripped down to an acoustic version, the pauses in the chorus will be more natural.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 11:39:28 AM »
I think this is quite lovely...the lyrics are stunning and the melody grows on you, although I agree with other comments about it being a little too broken...I think if you want to go with a far out spacey feel, you need to go all the way with it, which I think could be really cool, but it would mean some reworking of the arrangement  :) I'd like to hear more dynamics with those lyrics...maybe even some spoken or whispered parts, but that's just me :) I think you've done a great job :) :) CS