I Need Help!!!

• 11 Replies

marianheawood

« on: April 16, 2011, 01:10:46 PM »
Hi there everyone, .. I am new on here and am only just finding my way around the site. I haven't had a chance to read or listen to everything yet, but will be doing so in time. I have a question that I'd like to ask fellow songwriters and would appreciate some opinions.
First an explanation: I once wrote rather a silly comedy song (well sort of song) and it was liked by a few people who heard it. I havesome more novelty songs too.
I really wanted to have people appreciate my other songs and music which I think have more depth. In the light of the popularity now of 'quirky' creations, do members on here think that I should pluck up the courage and try to promote these 'works of art' I wrote and recorded on a whim and in some crazy moments?  :)
I am a bit shy of showing this zany side of my nature to the public, and also don't want it to damage the impression of some of my more emotional and serious music.
What do you think? Thankyou for any thoughts you may have. Marian.

massa

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 01:38:16 PM »
Hi Marian, by all means go for it. Promote away. It's nice to see some diversity. If you feel that that will detract from your own serious music, create a new username and post anonymously under that. Of course since you've told us here we'll still all know who you are though!  ;)

marianheawood

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »
Hi! Thankyou for the reply. As you rightly say, there is no point in hiding my identity on here  :D Do we get our work reviewed on here by putting it on Youtube? Or on my website, myspace etc? Sorry I don't know the procedure yet.
Hope you're all having a good day.  Marian.

massa

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 04:26:51 PM »
Many ways Marian.

Either post a link to youtube or myspace or your website address, along with the lyrics in the review section.

That way you can keep it song specific rather than just saying 'here's my website check it out what do you think'.

marianheawood

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 04:43:04 PM »
Thanks, Massa.   So I post the words on their own away from the music and post those in the review section, and then refer to where the complete song can be heard? Just making sure I'm getting it right. :) Marian.

massa

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 06:12:20 PM »
Yes, just look in the review section and see what everyone else has been doing.

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 08:55:28 PM »
Hi Marian

Two examples of songs by Jake Thackray:

The Castleford Ladies Magic Circle - about a group of old ladies who go off at night devil worshipping while their husbands are playing snooker.

Molly Metcalfe - a very poignant song about the life of a lonely Yorkshire shepherdess.

Jake Thackray made a career and earned enormous respect from songs that were hilarious and songs that were heartbreaking. It is possible to do both.

Welcome to the forum.
Chris

marianheawood

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 10:16:32 PM »
Chris . Thankyou for your reply, and warm welcome,
I vaguely remember Jake Thackeray and his very individual style. I'll have to start searching for an old tape with a song I've just remembered. I sent it to Val Doonican but it could have been in Jake's style. It was called, 'When Granny Bought Herself a Three Wheeled Bike (or Trike).  It would be interesting to listen to it again although the trike must be a bit rusty now after all these years.  :)

marianheawood

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 04:43:37 PM »
Hi! I was looking through some music manuscripts and, surprisingly, came across the written music and words about Granny and her trike.  :) I could, maybe, put them on the reviews later.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 05:57:08 PM »
hi Marian,

why not use the more silly stuff to draw the attention of people and then mix it with your serious side? Your audience may be amazed by your diversity, and be more suprised about (and listening better to) your emotional songs...

just a thought

marianheawood

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 09:55:52 PM »
Thankyou for your thoughts, Dutchbeat. I did enjoy writing novelty songs.  :) Marian.

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »
Nothing wrong with a comedy song.....even the Beatles let Ringo sing (Yellow Submarine, Act Naturally)! And "When I'm 64" was a classic, so why not.
The Strawbs, "Part of the Union" even Blur's "Parklife" all light-hearted songs. Even my own "Euroland Blues" which takes it's cues from Motorhead's "We are the road crew"
All taking the mickey.
So why not.... :P
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)