Negative feedback

• 19 Replies

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 09:29:53 PM »
Hi hofnerite,

what questions did you ask the focus group to answer?

Paul

I didn't. Unfortunately I seemed to miss the part where you write your questions. They appear to be just giving me stars and a review. I am quite impressed at how much a couple of them wrote. Not bad considering they only got $0.05 for it!

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 03:06:29 PM »
I have got 16 back already. Mainly OK but an absolute classic I thought I'd share:

"I prefer Hiphop" - he gave the song 1 star!

::)  ;D

Really helpful that!

And if you asked this guy "Why do you prefer hip hop"? you would most likely get either a quizical expression, or some clichéd "cos it's street yeah, man you know....." etc etc etc  >:(
I have no evidence but I'm sure that most people that to listen to music are not musicians. Of those non-musicians the majority don't even really like music,  they like what their friends like. These are not people you should care about when they criticise your work.
You'll know when the criticism is worth listening to, good or bad, when it comes with a well crafted explanation. Anything else is just worthless self promotion.  ;D
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Dutchbeat

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 04:42:45 PM »
Hi Moon,

this happens, and indeed could be just about differences in the music these people like and the music you want to make.

Are these people in this forum group all songwriters themselves...what makes them into the experts, are they working in the industry?

Just take the things you can work with, and go on making the music you like!

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 11:14:23 PM »
I've just listened to Turn On the Light on Soundcloud and loved it. I don't know what style of jazz you'd call it, but it had energy, soul, feeling, and your voice is very distinctive, just right for the song. Yes, basement jazz club, sitting there with a glass of Glenlivet listening to more of this would be a perfect evening out.

As for the 'focus group.' What is the point of that? Unless you're in a moderated forum like this one you are a sitting duck for every weirdo who ever sat behind a computer. That's why I have 'comments' and 'voting' turned off on my Youtube channel. I can't stand the verbal hysteria that gets whipped up when people realise they are unaccountable for their comments. I'm not criticising you or anybody else who submits work to these things in good faith, but the organisers of such online facilities must know that they're inviting a nutters' armaggeddon with such things.

Unfortunately, if our music ever does become commercially available, or publicly performed, we will be subjected to this kind of flak, so maybe you've done yourself a favour by experiencing it first hand. The rest of us await our baptism of fire!

rossanne

• Busker
    • Rossanne Hamilton Official Website
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
I find it hard not to take personally too, and not to throw my toys out of the pram and think 'that's the last song i share with you then'.

One of the things i've been trying to think recently is that there are songs by my favourite artists that i really don't like, and there is music i respect but don't like in general. If someone was to ask me what i thought of it i'd say it was rubbish, but that would be just an off-the-cuff response. I don't sit and consider every opinion that i have and justify it. I wouldn't be so blaze about it if i thought it would get back to the musician of course.

Even big names get hatemail from fans saying they think their last album sucked, as if they own the songwriter, and are due something better in return for their affections.

It's a funny old relationship.

It doesn't make our job any easier, but i guess it's something we have to learn how to deal with if that's what we want to do

I'm not there yet though! :)