What Genre?

• 3 Replies

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« on: January 22, 2011, 11:26:21 AM »
I have a problem with genres.
When I'm writing, I'm not writing in any particular style except my own, to suit the song at that time.
Ideally, a new song should be unlike things that have gone before, therefore in no particular genre.
But when trying to get a new song heard, the first thing most people want to know, before they even listen to it is...."What does it sound like"?
I understand this. If you are presented with more songs to listen to than there are hours in the day, you do need some sort of filter. But this presents me with another problem.

WHAT GENRE ARE MY SONGS?  ???

I have no idea. Whilst I consider my work "popular" in a traditional sense. What was pop when I was 19 years old is definitely not pop now. What makes a song "indie". It used to mean released on an independent record label. I release my stuff myself, can't get more indie than that!  ;D
In order for my songs to reach my audience, I need to now what "genre" they are searching for.  :'(

You can see the problem, but can you see any way out?  ;D
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 04:02:48 PM »
I do see a way out. Instead of trying to describe the genre (which is a recipe for a headache,) try to describe the content. eg:

This is a mid tempo guitar-based high-energy song about a relationship gone sour. Rock drums, fuzz guitars, electric bass, electric piano & vocals. 3.26 minutes long.

Hope that helps :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 08:26:11 PM »
Good way of sorting the problem out Tone :) Never occurred to me to describe my music in that way.
I am asked a lot in which genre my music fits and to be honest I wouldn't have a clue either. Personally I think what I write covers quite a variation of genre's but I can never pinpoint one that describes what I think I do.
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »
Tone......

genius!  ;D  That's is a great way to  describe and I will use it in future, but.....

Unfortunately when you're presented with a drop down box of options, or a 20 character box........ ?
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)