konalavadome

For newbies. There is no right way to write a song, but.....

• 2 Replies

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« on: January 07, 2011, 11:25:56 PM »
For newbies.
There is no right way to write a song. That statement is true, and has been since time began, and I'm certainly not qualified enough to preach otherwise.
But....
There are wrong ways to present a song.

Thank goodness there are forums like this where you can present a song in in an unfinished format and get positive criticism and help, but there are a few technical guidelines that I hope might help aspiring songwriters get started and avoid to many false starts.

1. If you are uploading a song to the web, make sure the levels are normalised. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_normalization
2. Remember that in your head the London Symphony Orchestra may be playing, but the rest of us can't hear them. Make sure what you hear and feel is there in the music you've uploaded.
3. Just be yourself. There are NO WRONG ANSWERS! What you produce is just as valid as anybody else's. Just make sure that we hear what you hear.... OK?

Wishing you all the best and here to help if I can

Mihkay
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 09:39:59 AM »
Great advice Mihkay, thanks for posting :)  I would go one step further though and advise that when multi-tracking, you can get the best from your raw tracks by normalising them individually before attempting a mixdown. Then, when you come to normalise the mix, you won't discover any nasty surprises...
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Polareclipse

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 07:47:36 PM »
That is great advice. I'm a complete newbie to the whole thing and have a lot of drive to do it but just don't know how to lay it out properly or anything like that. This and some basic courses have helped me.