Songsthatcry/Flossie Joint effort (not for the comp!!!)

• 25 Replies

flossie

• Platinum Album
« on: April 26, 2012, 07:59:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

A while back songsthatcry suggested I had a go at producing some music to his lyrics and here it is dadadaddahhhh!

This is not for the comp though.

We would welcome your thoughts please as usual  ;)

It has no name yet but has a working title of seashells/whisper  :)

http://soundcloud.com/hewood29/whisper-seashells

Twisting, turning
loving, learning
wishing that your kiss
that's left me in this mist
never clears

Holding, touching
craving, yearning
As simple as it sounds
I'm your lost and found
come and claim me now.

And you whisper out my name
As you leave me once again
But I'll wait for you,
I'll wait for you

Hold me close, hold me closer
hold me tight, hold me tighter.
And it feels so right,
in the passing of the night,
and the rising of the day

But I'll wait for you,
I'll wait for you.

There's no part of you
that time can take away
The stars start to shine as you pass their way
Not a trick of light
you're shining like the sun
And I'm undone

But I'll wait for you,
I'll wait for you

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:13:25 PM »
You guys should work together more. I think this is really really good. Loved the mood, the piano - the melody rising and falling – great moody dynamics all capture the feel of the lyric. Really great piece of work. Time for another listen I think. BTB.
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
I said to Flossie, this sounds like something off Titanic . :)

Actually, i think this is a more polished version than i had heard previously and it sounds pretty good.

It`s not quite how i envisioned it, and the title needs to be changed(lack of seashells!)but like i said, i like how it`s turned out and Flossies take on the melody.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 09:46:56 PM »

really outstanding
the vocals are beautiful
lovely arrangment
and the lyric perfectly matched your delivery

you have a real gem here and id be very careful what if anything you added to it.

a gift,
nooms
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 10:04:29 PM »
The first part of the song didn't really grab me at all

However -

From the line "As simple as it sounds" onwards I think the song is awesome!

The chorus is ace

As for titles - "I'll Wait For You" jumps out at me

There is something really special here IMHO

If it were my song I would be tempted to re-look at the beginning - although on second listen it is OK knowing there what there is to come!

Great job guys!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 12:26:03 AM »
wow this is pretty awesome flossie & songsthatcry...i love all the voices/ harmonies
its a realy huge song & very impressive & sounds tailor made for commercial success
i kept thinking about  john bon jovi singing it ...but then  i  find thinking about john bon jovi very easy! ;)
& the lyric works a treat .....its brilliant flossie!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 02:47:08 AM »
Lovely. The harmony vocals are beautiful. Love the vibrato in the voice. The lyrics aren't my thing, but they work for the song type.

Nice piano work, refrained yet refined.

Production wise (and I have a sense of deja vu here)... the reverb tail on the main vocal is a little heavy on my headphones. So perhaps rethink the wetness and/or tail on this.

Great lyricist/singer combo here  :D
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 09:28:04 AM »
Thanks for everyone's responses.

bewarethisboy, Thanks. I started with that moody little bit at the beginning and it developed from there, I found it (not wishing to sound a twat but..) liberating!  :P  I really don't enjoy writing lyrics so that bit was out of the way which meant I could get to work straight away.  I found songsthatcry lyrics suited my style so it wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be!

Songsthatcry, it was great to write with you you're very laid back and not precious with your lyrics ( I stole some lyrics from one of his other songs!!!) and I think they're really gorgeous words, and capture that yearning feeling when you've just fallen in love!

Nooms,Thanks! I don't think I'd like to add anything to production, it does need to be redone, everything was done quite quickly and so could be definitely improved upon.

Boydie, I know what you mean about the beginning the melody in the first verse at least could be improved upon, I'd like to keep the feel of the beginning though, which helps the build to the chorus.  Thanks for the advice it confirmed what I was thinking x

Tinam - I was a massive BonJovi fan back in the day!!!  ;D Still gorgeous!!! I was a big Heart fan too, and yes I did have a big perm!!! I love harmonies and when I was younger listened to a lot of Clannad! Thanks for your encouragement x

James l know you're not a fan of this kind of music so thanks for commenting! I have to admit I hide behind reverb,  I might get my sister to redo this for me and cut a lot of the reverb! Thanks for your review  ;)

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 10:16:21 AM »
This song is a delicate lady in a lovely silver dress draped lightly across a piano, A suited man is playing it, but he is irrelevant. Nothing matters bu the beautiful lady. She looks to be mourning, lamenting some loss, but she does not act distraught, she simply bleeds her emotion forth from her voice, filling the wide, echoing space. You sit and hear the woman and see her body and you don't have to know what she is saying or why she is there, you simply understand.

I hope that sums it up...
Defective Elector

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 10:20:57 AM »
This song is a delicate lady in a lovely silver dress draped lightly across a piano, A suited man is playing it, but he is irrelevant. Nothing matters bu the beautiful lady. She looks to be mourning, lamenting some loss, but she does not act distraught, she simply bleeds her emotion forth from her voice, filling the wide, echoing space. You sit and hear the woman and see her body and you don't have to know what she is saying or why she is there, you simply understand.

I hope that sums it up...

Are you offering to do the video :D

Very poetically reviewed Corsair.

morgs500

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 11:04:56 AM »

HI Songthatcry/Flossie

Lovely sensitive song well delivered. You have a lovely voice and i think in your recording if you reduced the amount of reverb on your voice it would sit more forward in the mix and sound more intimate . :)

Dutchbeat

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »
great piano and vocals, as always, Flossie

very professional song! beautiful, a great forum collaboration

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 11:59:43 PM »
Corsair: wow what a review thank you for that I loved reading it x
Morg500: This is a problem for me time and time again, I really did try and reduce the reverb on this song Iwas doing the butterfly in it before!!!
Dutchbeat: Thank you for that, it was very different to how I usually write and it really suited me, lyrics first then! x

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 01:25:11 AM »
Been a bit busy over the past few days so only just found this and I think it's brilliant!
Harmonies are beautiful, piano, arrangement the lot.
Really very, very lovely  ;D
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Kafla

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 08:32:58 AM »
This is fantastic - you should both be very proud

Having worked on many collabs on the forum I am aware that they can force you down a path that you wouldn't normally tread - the lyrics really have been brought to life very well Flossie

The harmonies and layered vocals are an addition to your already impressive arsenal

And the lyrics are heart tugging without being cheesy

I really, really like this  ;)