Pearlie (2018, indie folk)

• 1 Replies

dims

• Busker
  • Songwriter (pop, indie, folk, rock, soul, edm)
    • Dims Music
« on: March 13, 2018, 01:13:01 PM »
Hello mates,

so good to be back! Some of your reviews back in 2015 ensured me that I need to proceed with songwriting. it resulted in a full-lenght album and the international feedback gave me hope that I could become a real part of modern music industry. Now I'm going to stay here for a little longer!

What I'd like to share with you is my latest single. It's a story inspired by an occasional meeting, when I met a girl of quite a special kind in Moscow. She told me a bit about her life and I immediately got the portrait of a lyrical hero in my mind. And she really called herself "Perlamuter" so I even didn't know her real family name. Then I came up with the verse & chorus lines where I shortened her alias to "Pearlie". To complete the song, I added the guitar theme which I discovered while practising fingerstyle. The whole thing was basically about picturing a real person, a fragile romantic girl lost in the modern reality, so probably that's why it came out so touching & true, at least in my mind.

Here is a SC link to it:
https://soundcloud.com/dims_music/pearlie

I got a plenty of feedback, quite what I expected to hear excluding one thing - I expected that more people would focus on lyrics and have more feelings for the lyrical hero. Seems like this did not happen, I'm still wondering why. Any pro thoughts on that would very helpful. Here are the lyrics:

Hiding from sunshine
Blessing the rain
Down at the coffee shop
Searching for answers
Many days wasted
Many years gone in vain
It's enough chasing dreams for now...

She calls herself Pearlie
A spark in the shell
And down on the seabed
She's safe and well
Away from the places
She does not belong
A queen of her grace land,
She's all alone

Moved to St.Petersburg
Deep in despair
Broken illusions
Are stacking like postcards
Nobody loves her
And nobody needs her there
It's another mistake she made

A spark in the shell
And down on the seabed
She's safe and well
Away from the places
She does not belong
A queen of her grace land,
She's all alone

And someday will bring
A man who will spark off
Her heart to sing
And under the streetlight
She fails to be strong
A queen of her dream land
She's all alone...

Thanks for your attention!
Cheers from snowy Russia,
Dims

It feels like nothing matters
In our private universe

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 09:29:51 PM »
Yo Dims
This sounds very well produced.  I liked the strings and backing vocals especially.  Plus your voice on this... it's quite unique, quite mysterious and androgynous.
You asked for feedback on the lyrics.  To be honest they don't really resonate with me... nothing wrong with them, but I don't get much sense of a story here and there's not enough background detail to empathise with the character.  All I could really tell you is it is about a lonely girl, so I don't feel a connection to the lyrics.  BUT that's OK because the song is pretty... so in this case I take the lyrics as another instrument in a well-woven track, which is still a good listen.  If you want more reaction to the lyrics though, I'd suggest giving it a clearer narrative or message.
Cheers
Pauly
It's all too beautiful.