I'm Taking Sugar With My Love - Novelty country

• 17 Replies

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 02:13:59 PM »
Nice wee number. Got a touch of Willie Nelson in the vocal! It moves along really nicely - the bass moves it along effortlessly and at a great ace. The drums are perfect IMHO - they are here in the mix and make a contribution but they don't detract from everything else. Perfect sweet sot for them in the mix. I felt a bit of banjo or mandolin might have added something to this rather than the brief piano solo.

This has a nice country feel to it which is great cos I prefer that to modern country. It reminds me of old style country but IMHO its fairly far removed from the commercial stuff that passes for country in Nashville these days. I could imagine this fitting in seamlessly to the Irish/UK country scene (ie Phil Mack show) though.

Hi Sing4me88

Many thanks for your thoughts on the 'Taking Sugar'.  I had mentioned I would like a Willie Nelson
sound when it was being recorded and it is good to see that maybe there is a hint of him there :)

I like the idea of some more instrumentation in the mix. Great! and thanks again for commenting.

Marrianna :)

zero

• Busker
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 03:23:44 AM »
Nice Ricky Tick sound. It has a Butch Cassidy era sound to me. Early 1900's bar room piano as played in Paul Newman films.  

Country music is American Folk music. I actually thought it was an extension of European ballads and hymns.

The early Country Music owed much to Europe. Patsy Cline, Jimmie Dickens, Hank Williams could and so I am told, Dwight Yoakum can yodel. Norwegians and Germans had influence on Country.

Listen to Angela Wiedl Country Jodler. Sure sounds country to me.  

Not exactly country, but Lawrence Welk's first language was German. Most of the "cowboys" in Texas were German. It isn't that strange that the Norwegians would adopt the Country sound easily.

Golden Earring did a good job with Radar Love which was played on Country Radio Stations and well liked as cross over.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:17:13 AM by zero »

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 05:20:58 AM »

Many thanks for your thoughts on the 'Taking Sugar'.  I had mentioned I would like a Willie Nelson
sound when it was being recorded and it is good to see that maybe there is a hint of him there :)

The "feel" I had for the song was more Johnny Tillotson and Don Gibson than Willie Nelson.  Willie's sound was still about ten years away when this sound first hit. Of course, Willie's sound came (to a degree) from what HE was listening to at the time, so his early stuff is going to reflect that atmosphere.

I like the song more every time I listen to it.     
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.