konalavadome

Is Bandcamp any good?

• 8 Replies

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« on: March 14, 2021, 10:00:41 AM »
I currently use Reverbnation to "pre-release" material to this forum and then when ready, use CD Baby to distribute to channels such as Spotify, Apple Music etc. However, I am thinking about also using Bandcamp, particularly for individual song releases. Any feedback from those who use it?

Thanks,

Kevin

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 11:41:13 AM »
@kevysc - I guess it depends on what you want, and what your expectations are, I have a bandcamp profile but I’m not one to promote myself much, my approach is a statistical exercise, I know it’s futile pushing so I’m pulling instead, at least I’m aware that everything is by word of mouth.

In answer to your question, I simply cannot say.

Rich

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 12:06:43 PM »
@kevysc

I find that the actual “platform” you use is almost irrelevant

It sounds like you have all of the major bases covered with CD Baby

I would put more consideration/thought into what it is you want to achieve and put together a marketing strategy

I have been toying with putting together a “marketing pack” / training resource to support songwriters and artists in promoting themselves

It would include different approaches for different goals - eg targeting listeners, building a fan base, selling songs/albums, pitching to publishers/labels

There are different tried and tested marketing and sales tools for each of these approaches - and in my experience on this forum (and in the real business world) many fall at the first hurdle of not clearly defining what they want to achieve from a specific marketing campaign - and therefore try to cover EVERYTHING at once!

I think much more success would be possible by going through a specific process, which is something I think I could develop with my qualifications and experience - this might have to go on the long list of “things I want to do” if there is interest for it?
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 12:19:01 PM »
I see it just as a convenient place to buy albums of stuff by people I know...mostly on here. I can buy using PayPal and it'll pack the songs into a zip file to download easily and then I can copy it across to my phone or whatever.

It's handy and effectively costs me nothing...so I'm a fan, I suppose.

I think soundcloud (even the free version) bandcamp and amuse are all pretty amazing for folks like me getting a few listens to my ramblings at minimal cost and effort.

For more than that, I really couldn't say.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

devilhoned

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 01:05:38 PM »
Hi keV

I agree with Boydie. I set up in Bandcamp because a sync company advised that's where I should leave music if I wanted to send demos. I know they listened,and that's enough for me to use Bandcamp. I don't like their insistence that you upload artwork; it's pretty awkward to do that imo once you've uploaded your music and metadata.
By the way,when I click on your links,it says the CD baby store was retired in March 2020.
I certainly couldn't see a way of listening,and crucially,buying your material.
Which is the major drawback of third party sites--you're at their mercy.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 08:45:57 AM »
@cowparsleyman @Boydie @PaulAds @devilhoned  Thanks for your comments. I agree that, on it's own, the platform you are on probably doesn't make much of a difference.

Nevertheless, I decided to go ahead and move one of my released albums to Bandcamp  (and was delighted to actually sell something in the process!)

I set up Working From Memory as a "name your price" release here :

https://kevinism.bandcamp.com/album/working-from-memory

Incidentally, I seem to recall there was talk at one time of setting aside a place for people to post their releases: did that ever go ahead?

Kevin

P.S. For anyone here on Bandcamp, please post/send me a link to your page and I would be happy to follow you.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 11:24:16 AM »
@kevysc - best of luck with it Kev...

Here’s my bandcamp presence

https://cowparsleyman.bandcamp.com

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 12:35:59 PM »
I've been on BandCamp for a while and occasionally sell something there. And I buy as often as I can to support my fellow musicians. My BandCamp account is https://vmgoble.bandcamp.com