• 29 Replies

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »

nathan,
I agree with ram. you got to jump in, be foolish... make a few mistakes
writers blocks a fear of failure, overanxious and analytical about being original, but its all bollox really.
We are all bits of other people, theres nothing new under the sun..
Imagine all these cave men in their various caves each with their own version of the wheel..
not sure where that came from but i know what i mean,  i think.
nooms
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

stephaniedema

• Solo Gig
    • Sienna Little on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 04:15:47 PM »
Buy a Rode NT1-A mic and learn to work with Cubase. Learn how to add drum tracks and stuff like that with midi.
Gonna give slide guitar an attempt, to broaden my range. And I want to learn how to play piano probably, but my keyboard broke, so that's a bit annoying...

This isn't just a goal, it's actually gonna happen: I'm gonna go busking in Febr with one of my friends. First time. Should be fun :)
Like a little spider I'm climbing the insurmountable. But I never hold myself accountable. - KT Tunstall

https://www.facebook.com/siennalittlemusic
https://twitter.com/SiennaLittle
http://www.reverbnation.com/siennalittle

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 08:02:51 PM »
Actually finish writing something for the first time since 2008?  Seriously, I am getting really disillusioned due to my creative block and inability to wirte lyrics any more.   I could cope with a few months but it has now been nearly 2 years since I finished anything.

i dont know if you read my post #8 but id say try signing up for FAWM you might find the inspiration there... it certainly got me going last year....like i said i wrote 6 songs  in 2010 but almost 60 in 2011!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

misswhiterabbit

• Open Mic
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 08:34:04 PM »
Good topic Ramshackles.

I really enjoyed making the video, I want to finish the album I've been working on and get some more videos together for them. It would be lovely if I could get some more listeners.. bit tricky as I don't play live. Maybe should figure out a way to get a set together with visuals and such.. hmmm! Lots to think about!   

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 10:26:33 AM »
Buy a Rode NT1-A mic and learn to work with Cubase. Learn how to add drum tracks and stuff like that with midi.
Gonna give slide guitar an attempt, to broaden my range. And I want to learn how to play piano probably, but my keyboard broke, so that's a bit annoying...

This isn't just a goal, it's actually gonna happen: I'm gonna go busking in Febr with one of my friends. First time. Should be fun :)
The creator of recordingreview.com (pretty cool forum solely about recording/engineering) created a load of videos called 'killing with cubase' which are aimed at the beginner and are super useful :) I think they are all up on youtube

stephaniedema

• Solo Gig
    • Sienna Little on Facebook
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 06:05:37 PM »

The creator of recordingreview.com (pretty cool forum solely about recording/engineering) created a load of videos called 'killing with cubase' which are aimed at the beginner and are super useful :) I think they are all up on youtube

Thanks for the heads up!  :)
Like a little spider I'm climbing the insurmountable. But I never hold myself accountable. - KT Tunstall

https://www.facebook.com/siennalittlemusic
https://twitter.com/SiennaLittle
http://www.reverbnation.com/siennalittle

Kafla

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 09:48:56 PM »
To write a song that makes the hairs on the back of everyone's neck stand up

Seriously this is my goal  :o

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 10:50:07 PM »
to write a song that puts hair on my husbands head! ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Nathan1709

• Open Mic
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 11:45:56 AM »
Actually finish writing something for the first time since 2008?  Seriously, I am getting really disillusioned due to my creative block and inability to wirte lyrics any more.   I could cope with a few months but it has now been nearly 2 years since I finished anything.
Thats a good goal! Wow, 2 years. My best advice: Just finish any old crap. Dont get hung up about whether its good or not. Just finish it, record it if your able and move on to the next ones. Write rubbish music, just get it out of your system. Just anything to get into the swing of writing. I think/hope you'll find that as you start having fun just churning out crap, you'll naturally go towards writing more interesting stuff and stuff you are happy with...

Thanks mate.  I have tried to not be such a 'perfectionist' but I cannot for the life of me finish anything.  I am beginning to wonder what is going on?  I used to be so good at lyrics (compared to music) and now I am incapable of writing lyrics.  I reject rhymes for being tooo simplistic and obvious despite the fact that there is nothing outwardly wrong with them.  It's really pissing me off yet despite the fact I am conscious of it, I can't stop it.

darreldo

• Open Mic
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 06:22:40 PM »
my goals for this year are to get some recording gear, get to know it and record an EP before the year is out.
maybe try find another band

jbrewerguitar

• Busker
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 01:21:05 PM »
I just want to keep writing and hope that I can get some of it heard. Things are looking up already, had some exciting leads...here's to a better 2012!

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 03:52:15 PM »

Crazy goal. My personal view is that the very best music makes everyone either love the song or not like it all. The worst music (discounting trash that is universally disliked), causes the biggest reaction of 'meh' or 'its ok', 'its quite good'. Music should cause a REACTION (in big fiery letters).
But getting that REACTION to be good for everyone is hard. It's easy to meet people who think The Beatles, or Queen or -insert other uber successful artist here- is complete rubbish.

But still excellent goal. If you make a song that knocks out 50% of people, but causes the other 50% to vomit though, I think you have been very succesful :D

Some great goals from people here, keep them coming. I think everyones universal goal should be not to be afraid to ask for help (either on this forum or elsewhere) to help achieve their goals. It's amazing what people will do if you just ask them nicely! I'm a little step closer to making my goal a reality. I'm this close to actually seeing something through to completion - our EP is being mastered next week. (By a v. well respected engineer, which was a happy surprise for us).

Kafla

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 10:21:20 PM »

Crazy goal. My personal view is that the very best music makes everyone either love the song or not like it all. The worst music (discounting trash that is universally disliked), causes the biggest reaction of 'meh' or 'its ok', 'its quite good'. Music should cause a REACTION (in big fiery letters).
But getting that REACTION to be good for everyone is hard. It's easy to meet people who think The Beatles, or Queen or -insert other uber successful artist here- is complete rubbish.

But still excellent goal. If you make a song that knocks out 50% of people, but causes the other 50% to vomit though, I think you have been very succesful :D

Some great goals from people here, keep them coming. I think everyones universal goal should be not to be afraid to ask for help (either on this forum or elsewhere) to help achieve their goals. It's amazing what people will do if you just ask them nicely! I'm a little step closer to making my goal a reality. I'm this close to actually seeing something through to completion - our EP is being mastered next week. (By a v. well respected engineer, which was a happy surprise for us).

Goals should be crazy - otherwise they would be achievable  ???

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 11:51:20 PM »

Goals should be crazy - otherwise they would be achievable  ???

thumbsup  :D

Reynolds83

• Busker
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 12:00:08 AM »
My main goal for the year is to produce and record my songs better

Same as.  I record at a local studio my friends have owned and managed for a while but I've never been able to come away with a recording I'm happy with.  I think it's because I don't know anyone with production experience or talent.  I've got the songs, the lads in the studio have got the engineering know-how, but that's where it stops. 

So yeah, my goal for 2012 (musically) is to get my new solo demo recorded and produced properly before I leave for university.

::)