konalavadome

Deep Undercover - DNMC

• 10 Replies

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« on: November 05, 2017, 09:50:22 PM »
Hey y'all!

We actually finished 2 more DNMC songs this week, and have another 2 on the go! :) Having an absolute ball!

I chose this one to put on here as it's the one which has taken on-board the most feedback from Victims of Murder, due to it's similar style.

Also want to say thanks for all of the invaluable, constructive feedback and kind words on VoM - they're very much appreciated and we've most certainly progressed as a result.

So again the music's all Darren, apart from some ambient keyboard subtleties I added last moment - still not completely convinced I didn't ruin it but.. I like playing with my keyboard. As usual we bounce ideas around, and actually ended up with two completely different lyric sets for this track. May release the other version as like.. a B-Side or something?

The length is a reasonable 2:12 and it's straight to it! Slightly less rappy but not quite singing.. so keep an open mind.

Lyrically it's kinda' exploring when everyone is need of help, so no one can give it to each other. Or it's about one sad person dragging everyone else down, or maybe the antagonist just isn't sure...

https://soundcloud.com/dnmccollective/deep-undercover

Deep Undercover

Chorus
I seem to be giving a lot of commiserations lately,
Nobody can seem to find that elation - lately,
I'm thinking that I'm, the relation, maybe?
I can't save them, if I can't save me.

My family don't sing, but they're sounding off-key,
We say it's no thing, but, it's simple to see,
There's no-one to help us, we can't help each-other,
We stagnated helpless, and deep under-cover!

My friends don't do sports but, they're dropping the ball,
They say they're OK but, I don't believe it at all,
There's no-one to help them, we can't help each-other,
Progress is seldom, we're deep under-cover!

Chorus

The saying is right; when it rains it pours,
That vanishing light; the closing doors,
We're stuck here together, but can't help each-other
Stuck under pressure, and deep under-cover

The saying proves true; misery loves company,
'Cos that's what we do, we've all got the hump you see,
Surrounded by lonely, we can't each-other,
Smiles are phony, they're deep under-cover

Chorus

All feedback, thoughts and constructive criticism welcome and appreciated.

Peace and love
Scott & Darren

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 08:42:12 AM »
I'm loving the groove that you guys are creating. It's a brilliant fusion of styles and just illustrates what can be achieved by collaborations. This is funky and raw with attitude. It reminds me of some Sonic Youth stuff which is more than good in my book.

Excellent work, keep it up guys  :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 12:18:32 PM »
Yo Scott and Darren.

This is a good solid music backdrop Darren has put together to allow Scott to bring the words to life.

The lyrics flow well,are direct and although introspective,make a point clearly.

Good to see you two working and growing together musically.  8)

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 12:14:33 AM »
It's dynamite, guys. Stripped down urban lo fi groove, mad metal funk guitar, and guided by dysfunctional urban rap in precisely measured meters. Guys, I really like what I'm  hearing here.
I'd say  it needs a little work though.
Guitars sound thin and sadly get lost in the mix, and the song desperately need a melody change for the chorus IMO. At the moment the chorus just gets absorbed into the verse and doesn't register.
You gotta sort this out,  I love to hear this stuff.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 01:06:27 AM »
Great collab guys  :o Rap isn't really my thing, but I have a deep respect for people who can do it :)
I would like to have heard the chorus sung, just to break it up, and separate it from the verses. Nice job on the guitar and I like the concept...the lyrics flow nicely :)

refusedrevival

• Solo Gig
    • Refused Revival
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 07:38:23 AM »
Hi,

This is a quite good song. You have nice guitar and the flow of lyrics.

I would improve the mix. It feels like the drums are recorded in a basement. The sound is so odd in the mix.

Cheers,

refusedrevival

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 08:12:40 AM »
Nice work DNMC (and I still think that's a cool name...)
I loved the lofi drum loop in this, in fact the way the whole thing feels lofi and a bit grimey with that meandering scuzzy guitar - it suits the lyrics. The rap works well, with that slightly sinister Cypress Hill style of delivery.
I'd agree that a little extra sprinkle of something in the choruses could help - maybe sung or maybe something like a sample sound effect, or maybe some hi-hats or a bit of synth, just something to mark out those sections while keeping it lean.
Liked your lyrics too Scott.
Keep em coming DNMC.
It's all too beautiful.

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 08:20:22 AM »
Hi all

Thanks for listening and commenting! Your feedback is so valuable to our progression! We wrote one version of this and then Scott came up with a new lyric which to me was darker and more introspective (is that the word? :P) and I felt the original mix was too neat for it and so I wanted to create a 'stripped' down version of it - I'm glad to hear I've achieved that but take on board comments about drums and guitar...a bit experimental this so still learning but will come back to the mix at some point :)

Really enjoy working with Scott! I love his lyrics and vocal style and being free to just write backing tracks without having to come up with the vocal has been really creative and fun! So cheers Scott...oh and keys are great and add extra flavour!

Thanks all again and hope to have more tracks for your soon ;)

Thanks

Darren
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:22:12 AM by Darren1664 »

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 04:39:04 AM »
Hey Guys. Some constructive criticism from me. The raw elements are great but it's not reached its full potential with the current mix. Pump up the bass and the guitars and you've got a hell of a song. At present as Silver Machine states, the guitar sounds feeble. Might be worth experimenting with a few effects on the vocals too. I'm thinking some kind of distortion.  Try a few different mixes. The best one is out there somewhere but it's not the one you've posted!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:41:43 AM by mickyplankton »

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 01:39:08 PM »
Slightly unnerving but the song demands you listen to the end.
Its on the spectrum of rock that takes me slightly out of my comfort zone but I really like this and you have a certain something about your style that makes me think that your stuff should be heard by more people.

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 07:19:34 PM »

Hey y'all

Have found a little bit of time so am finally going to be polite and respond for once!

@John
Cheers for the encouragement man, it's great to collab it's so interesting with the stuff Darren keeps throwing into the mix - like stuff that shouldn't work but we're giving it a whirl anyway! :)

@Skub
Thanks for the listen and cheers for the compliments, it's always difficult to strike that balance between drawing on one's own experiences and ensuring it's relatable enough for others to relate.

@Mateo
Cheers for the listen man, and for a polite mix of encouragement and constructive criticism. We're still learning as we go on the mixing side, neither me nor Darren are too confident but are enjoying learning. I think on VoM it was the vocals beingg too distant, now it's the guitar, next time we'll have it! ;)

And good shout on the chorus distinction. We tried to give it a little different flow but, think I suffer a little bit of sing-shy!

@crystalsuzy
Cheers for listen and positivity, again good point on the light/shade aspects very much taken on-board for the next one!

@refusedrevival
Cheers mate, a good song is desirable and it's assuring you've picked out the two bits where we are more focusing.

@PaulyX
Ah you get it man! "grimey", "scuzzy", "Cypress Hill" wohoo!. Feels like we have missed a trick on the chorus, but nothing's lost if learnt from! Cheers for listening and giving some good ideas.

@micky
Constructive criticism always encouraged! Probably Darren being too polite about keeping my vocals up front for this one, we do need more of that guitar center-stage too!

@Morefrog
Cheers for listening and giving your feedback, "unnerving" is like a badge of honor, but only if paired with listening to the end! ;D
And thanks for the positivity, it's a real compliment to say more people should hear our stuff. Not at a stage to start promoting a distributing yet, but who knows what the future holds!

And also thanks to anyone else who has taken the time to listen.

There's more of DNMC to come!

All the best,
Scott.