Preacher - Winter1982

• 19 Replies

Winter1982

• Open Mic
    • Winter1982
« on: June 09, 2014, 04:19:45 PM »
Hi all!

Had a bit of a busy time so haven't posted new music as much as I'd like. I'd love your feedback on a new song we have. This is a demo, it's still missing the entire piano part but the structure, lyrics and and general feel are there. We are going to record this properly soon so any feedback on the sound we have so far etc would be greatly appreciated.

Our previous single went down really well, BBC introducing picked it up and we did a few live shows that went down really well etc so it would be great to repeat the trick.

http://soundcloud.com/winter1982band/preacher-demo/s-lOtKG

Lyrics:

Can't get to you in person
Don't answer the phone
You're living on an island that you made on your own
Working every minute in a job that you hate
Never a fortune, only a wage

I can see you now
There's a body in the river and you're floating around
Law from the city, they were first at the scene
Preacher looking guilty caus he sold you a dream

Can't get to you in person
You're fading away
You'll be working for the man
Until you're and and you're grey
Wasting all your time in a job for the state

I can see you now
There's a body in the river and you're floating around
Law from the city, they were first at the scene
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:00:04 PM by Winter1982 »
winter1982.bandcamp.com

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 06:25:48 PM »
Hi good to hear you had some success with the bbc, well done. I was slightly surprised when I heard this as it seems pretty different from the last song you posted, but I still like your voice.it sounded faintly rockabilly to me which wouldn't be my favourite genre.A bit of stray cats lead guitar would work well with this. I can see that it's still a fairly basic demo, but it has potential!
Nice one.
Cheers
Jamie

Winter1982

• Open Mic
    • Winter1982
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 06:29:59 PM »
Thanks for your feedback. Glad you hear a little rockabilly in there, I really like that era of music and also I'm a stray cats fan, if only I could solo like that!

Yeh the demo is basic, I'm struggling to walk the line between something quite organic with claps and stomps and stuff, and something that just sounds unfinished haha. Thanks for your comments!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:38:06 PM by Winter1982 »
winter1982.bandcamp.com

GuitarArt1980

• Open Mic
    • Shapes & Faces
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 07:04:31 PM »
I dig the feel of this one. The stark arrangement really calls attention to all the elements in a cool way. I wonder how the lead guitar would sound panned opposite acoustic and not so "with" it. I'd also love the hear the vocals a tad more upfront and/or with a slightly shorter delay time as some of the lyrics get a little smeared in parts.

I loved when the backup vocals come in around 2min. The reverb gives a good backdrop to the song.

Really cool song. I like it.
Please like and share my band at www.facebook.com/shapesandfaces

Winter1982

• Open Mic
    • Winter1982
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 07:10:16 PM »
Thanks very much, awesome advice. I'll certainly twiddle with the arrangement and see what your suggestion sounds like.  I had wondered about how much delay to stick on too, good point about hearing the lyrics clearly. Thanks for commenting!
winter1982.bandcamp.com

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 10:56:45 PM »
Hi, like the quiet/loud contrast. Liked your vocals went you went for it. Good voice over, it created interest
I enjoyed the tune and style and had two thoughts: firstly the vocals need to be more distinct in the mix, I listen twice and couldn't work out what you were on about, I eventually worked out the preacher bit but the lyrics are worth hearing. You've a story let them hear it. The second is more an observation with a simple song keeping the arrangement minimal and punchy will repay you in spades.
Look forward to hearing were you get to with it.
 :)
Neil     
songwriter of no repute..

Winter1982

• Open Mic
    • Winter1982
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 11:38:21 PM »
Thanks Neil, much appreciated! Yeh I'm quite pleased with the song and feel it could be a strong one if I get the various sounds working together. Thanks for your input!
winter1982.bandcamp.com

Kevin j

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 01:18:18 AM »
i agree with niel c the vocal needs to be a bit louder,
a great vocal performance, but its being a little shadowed by the music,
lyrically very well written too, really enjoyed this
:)
well, that escalated quickly..
-Anchorman :)

Winter1982

• Open Mic
    • Winter1982
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 09:14:10 AM »
Hey Kevin, thanks very much for your comments!  Now I wonder what I'm doing wrong with the mix (I'm no good at recording) - are you guys listening in headphones or through speakers as when I listen through speakers I agree the vocal is getting a little lost, but in headphones it's too overpowering. Anyone know what I've done there?
winter1982.bandcamp.com

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 03:51:34 PM »
I agree with Neil C. about the vocal needing to be more distinct. It does have a lovely, gritty authentic quality and even in demo form this has real legs. All it's really missing is some lead guitar - otherwise I'd keep it simple and punchy as it is. This is the sort of thing that would go down well live; I'd come and hear this. Excellent, original, catchy but with artistic merit = a great combination.

Winter1982

• Open Mic
    • Winter1982
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 06:57:41 PM »
Wow thanks montydog, really kind comments. I will definitely try and sort out this vocal. So glad you would listen to it live, really cool to hear that! We are doing a few shows and planning more, trying to build momentum! Come and give us a like on facebook if you use it. www.facebook.com/winter1982band

Thanks again for your comments
winter1982.bandcamp.com

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 07:19:54 PM »
I really liked the song, especially when the rhythm picks up. I think the voice needs to be a little more up front (I'm listening on headphones) as others have pointed out. The acoustic guitar riff sounds like a Davy Graham tune which is a shame as the rest of the song bears no relation to it other than a vague rhythmic feel.

The words are excellent and go well with the music.

If you don't agree with the Davy Graham feel free to ignore me.

Keith

Winter1982

• Open Mic
    • Winter1982
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 07:30:10 PM »
Thanks Keith, really appreciate your comments. Davy Graham is a nice comparison, I don't know enough of his work really so I'll certainly give more of it a listen! Be great to add more influences into the melting pot. Glad the lyrics are going down well too, great comments. Thanks for your input.
winter1982.bandcamp.com

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 09:48:57 PM »
Great use of the voice overs!

And loved that rockabilly type feel. Love the contrast between the sections and the lo fi clapping sounds great.

I thought the vocal in the quieter sections got a tiny bit lost, but only tiny bit. I thought that the vocal in the louder sections was about right.

And it's a great vocal. Really good to listen to.

Do you need a piano part? I like it like it is. But yeah maybe some jazzy bits of piano here and there (but I'm thinking poss not everywhere..?..) could add something cool to the arrangement....

The lyrics i like a lot, but in some parts i found myself thinking i don't quite get what you're getting at or i don't quite get what this line has to do with that if you know what i mean..... Like, i like all the lyrics a lot individually, but just wasn't sure i was following your idea properly from beginning to end. But that might just be me being dense!!

Anyway, i enjoyed it a lot. Always enjoy your compositions and your vocals.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 10:31:48 PM »
Hey - nice song. I liked how it feels like people just sitting around clapping their hands to a catchy beat - very organic and live feeling. Re the vocals I think if you put them through a little compression it would sort out the level changes. You might also want to go in and bring up the level on some words that are too low for the compressor to catch. The lead vocalist has a very distinctive ( and good ) voice.  I esp liked these lines:

and

Don't know why I liked them which is usually a good sign.
Nice one
Paul